- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Chapter 6!
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

At the end of their first week at Dunder Mifflin, Bella stood and walked over to Pam. She had a genuine question for her, but made sure she was as stone-still as possible, because Dwight was near.

“Hello, Pamela.”

Pam nodded once. “Bella.”

“Would you care to dine with me later? Just us females?” Bella smiled genuinely and lowered her voice. “I was thinking a cup of coffee?”

Pam smiled. “Great, Bella! I know a coffee shop a few minutes away. I’ll drive.”

“Okay! I’ll see you later, then.”

“Sure!”

Bella waved slightly, and Pam sat down, smiling. Jim saw her smile and walked up to the desk. He refrained from grabbing a jelly bean.

“What was that about?” he asked quietly.

“Bella wants to get a coffee after work,” she said, smiling.

Jim put a hand to his heart, “I’m hurt, Beesly. Not going out to dinner with your master?”

“I’m sorry, master,” Pam giggled. She grabbed his hand, running her fingers over his. “Why don’t you do something with Edward tonight?”

“We could totally get mani-pedis.”

Pam stared blankly. “You could do what?”

“Manicures and pedicures, Pam. Get with the program.” Jim shook his head disappointedly. When he saw Pam’s look of horror, he winked, grinning. “Spa treatments, mud baths... the works.”

Pam giggled again. Jim planted a small kiss on her forehead and headed back to his desk. He decided to ask Edward to go for a drink after work. Edward agreed to this. Jim wanted to talk to Edward about a few things anyways.
--

Pam and Bella sat down at the coffee shop, Pam holding tea, Bella holding a glass of water.

”Before I say anything, can I just say how cute you and Jim are together?” Bella asked, touching Pam’s arm gently. “You two seem to be a match made in heaven.”

Pam hesitated. “We went through some crap before we got together.”

“I’m sorry,” Bella said quickly. “I didn’t know…”

“You couldn’t have known,” Pam reassured her. “But we’re together now, and that’s what matters.”

“If you don’t mind my asking, when did you meet him?”

“His first day at Dunder Mifflin,” Pam said, smiling fondly. “I took him to lunch.”

“Your first date?” Bella assumed.

“No, I just took him as a friend. Not even. I took him as a co-worker,” Pam said. “I… I was actually engaged at the time.”

“Oh,” Bella said quietly.

“I was engaged for three years to the same guy. His name was Roy,” Pam continued. “The week before we got married… well, that was when Jim told me that he loved me. And he kissed me, too.”

“And you left your fiancé?” Bella asked, completely absorbed in Pam’s story.

“No. Jim left me.” Pam laughed at Bella’s confused expression. “Physically, I mean. Jim moved to Stamford when he found out I was still going to marry.” Pam sighed. “I fell apart after that. I broke it off with Roy and called Jim. I guess he didn’t hate me too much, because he moved back. There were some rough patches, but we’ve been together ever since.”

“You guys have been through a lot,” Bella observed quietly.

Pam nodded, shrugging. “It was worth it, though, because I love him. I really do.”

“I can tell he loves you too,” Bella said. “Edward was talking to him earlier, and Jim kept on saying how he wants to be with you forever.”

Pam’s thumb traced over her left-hand ring finger. “Really?”

“Edward told me that, but anyone with eyes can see it,” Bella laughed, but when she saw Pam’s blank face, she got confused. “Don’t you want to be with him forever, too?”

“I do. I just wish he’d propose already.”

“He doesn’t have to,” Bella said. “About twelve percent of women nowadays propose to their boyfriends.”

Pam smiled. “I’d rather be part of the other eight-eight percent. Thanks, though.”

Bella waved it off. “Let’s talk about something else.”

“I could tell you about all of the weird people in our office if you want.”

Bella smiled, taking a tentative sip of her water. “I want to know more about Dwight.”

Pam smiled. “Well, for starters, he owns a beet farm…”

They talked about people in the office at first, but eventually, the conversation branched out to other things as well. Even though Bella was a vampire, and Pam was generally shy, both women found characteristics in the other that were worthy of a friend, and they clicked immediately. The coffee seemed to be over too soon, and they decided that they’d meet again after work sometimes.

“It was fun,” they agreed, then went their separate ways.

--

When Bella got home, Edward was sitting at the piano. She sat next to him and placed a kiss on his cheek. “Hey.”

“You are so nosey,” he said lightly, laughing.

“I think Pam’s my friend now,” Bella argued, getting angry. “I have a right to talk to her about what I want to!”

“I’m just kidding, love,” he murmured. “She likes you.”

Bella’s face lit up. “Really?”

“Pam is deciding right now that she has a new friend,” he explained.

“She really thinks I’m her friend?” Bella asked excitedly.

Edward nodded again. “She thinks you are the most normal person at the office.”

Bella laughed. “If only she knew.”

“She wants to poke fun at Jim,” Edward said, clearly scanning Pam’s thoughts. “She wants to go home and tell him that he’s been replaced in the, and I quote, ‘best friend category’.” Edward grinned. “She’s in for a surprise when she gets home.”

“What are you talking about?” Bella asked.

Edward shrugged. “Your new friend will tell you Monday.”

--

Pam stepped into Jim’s apartment, throwing her stuff down. It was Friday, and she wanted to go inside and relax. She sat down on the couch and propped her feet up on the coffee table.

“Jim?” she called.

“In the kitchen!” he yelled back. “Come in for a sec! I have to show you something.”

She got up willingly. “As you wish, master!”

Pam walked towards the kitchen. The door was closed. That was weird; Jim always left it open. She shrugged and pushed gently.

She gasped.

On the kitchen table, there was a white, linen tablecloth. On top of that, there were two candles in the center, two plates on either side, and then place settings; silverware, napkins, glasses. Jim walked to the table, placing a steaming plate of steak in the center.

“Happy three-month-and-twenty-six-day anniversary!” he said, grinning.

Pam, who was trying to hold back tears (of joy, of course), jumped into Jim’s arms and kissed him. When she pulled back, her eyes were wet. “I love you.”

“I’m so in love with you.” He kissed her again, and pulled her in for a hug. She leaned her head on his chest, and they stayed like for so long that by the time they sat down, the steak was cold.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans