- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Jan and Astrid get their photo taken.
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.



When they get to the photographer’s studio and Jan begins removing the baby’s jacket, mittens, and hat, it’s like she’s unwrapping a present. She smiles while the baby looks blankly up at her, convinced that this show of apathy means her baby is clearly a genius (like all mothers are wont to think).

The photographer approaches and waggles a finger playfully at Astrid. She says, “Aw, isn’t she cute?”

“Yes,” Jan says. “Don’t touch her.”

“Uh... okay,” the photographer says. After a moment, she says, “Okay, Ms. Levinson. What kind of background would you like?”

Jan sits on a stool in front of a white sheet and settles Astrid in her lap. “Something that will stimulate the baby’s imagination when she looks at it.”

“Right,” the photographer says slowly. “How about a rainbow?”

“If that’s the best you can do,” Jan sighs.

The photographer mumbles something under breath then pulls down a rainbow background behind Jan. She reaches into a bright blue box and pulls out a stuffed green hippo.

“What’s that?” Jan asks.

“Oh, I’m just going to hold it so the baby will look at the camera.”

“Yes, I'm not stupid... but a green hippo? That’s the best you can do? You don’t have anything else?”

The photographer sighs and reaches into the box again. Jan rejects the next few choices, but eventually approves of a stuffed pink duck. After a short discussion of what is the baby’s “good side,” the photographer takes a few photos and promises to mail Jan the prints.

As Jan is bundling Astrid back up, the photographer waves and whispers, “Good luck, baby. I think you're gonna need it.”


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans