- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Katy receives a letter from the documentary producers.
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.



She hasn’t thought about Jim Halpert in at least two years. Truthfully, this doesn’t bother her much. Although he ranks pretty high on her Worst Break-ups Ever list, the rest of the time they spent together was nice. It wasn’t like she was in love with the guy or anything. There was really nothing about Jim that would make her remember him after all this time (he’s just a guy she used to date, whatever), so the last place Katy expects to be reminded of him is her mailbox.

After shoveling the sidewalk, she checks for mail. Tucked in with the usual junk and bills is a manila envelope. The return address is a production company in Philadelphia, but that does nothing to spark her memory.

She walks into the house and leaves her Ugg boots by the door. She drops the rest of the mail on the small table in the hall but carries the manila envelope into the living room. She drops onto the couch and tears open the envelope.

The first thing she pulls out of the envelope is a letter explaining that the producers of a documentary need her to sign additional release forms, and it also states that promotional materials and information are included in the envelope. The mention of the documentary is what brings Katy’s mind back to Jim.

The thing she remembers most about their relationship is the awkward break-up, and that really doesn’t lend itself to a trip down memory lane.

She spreads the rest of the contents of the envelope out on the couch before her. There isn’t much, but there are a few snippets of descriptions of “episodes” and “characters” and other bizarre things like that. She finds herself reading her “bio” and cringing.

“Katy stops by Dunder-Mifflin to sell purses, but ends up picking up something for herself: Jim Halpert. She begins dating the paper salesman and proves to be a source of jealousy for Pam.”

Katy can’t remember who “Pam” is or why this other woman would be so jealous that she was dating Jim. She also has to wonder if that’s all that will go into her “bio” once the whole thing is packaged and put together. She hates to think that she’ll be portrayed as just a footnote in someone else’s life, but knows there’s nothing she can do about it.

She signs the release forms because she knows she never did anything terrible or embarrassing in front of the cameras (except for getting dumped, but she figures Jim comes off worse in that one). After signing the papers, she gathers them together and sets them on the floor.

She turns on the television, eager to catch up on the episodes of “Gossip Girl” on her DVR, and puts thoughts of Jim Halpert and the documentary out of her mind.

Chapter End Notes:
When I thought of this story and made a list of characters to help decide who the 10 would be, did I think Katy was going to make the cut?

No.

But then she really got into my head. When it comes down to it, Jim is just "some guy" to Katy, which sets her apart from people like Pam and Karen (and, hey, fans) who have been clearly deeply invested in this Jim Halpert guy. I also wanted to explore a person who has been involved in the documentary without it really being a big part of them or their life.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans