- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Chapter title from "Hold My Hand as I'm Lowered" by Noah & the Whale.
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.



Jim’s week had been rough. Michael had been particularly annoying, the landlord had raised the rent, and he had an awkward run-in with Anne at the grocery store. He had apologized, but when she pressed for an explanation all he could offer was that “it was complicated.” She took this about as well as he had expected she would and walked away from him. He felt bad, but didn’t take it as a major loss. After all, he told himself, it wasn’t like he was losing his soulmate. In fact, he was fairly certain that he would never even have the chance to meet his soulmate. That thought alone was enough to ruin more than just his week.

After Jim returned home from shopping, he put his groceries away then sat down at the desk. He glanced at the clock before pulling the fifth drawer open. As usual, an envelope with his name on it was waiting for him.

He opened it carefully and read.


April 6, 1924

My dearest Jim,

I couldn’t help but notice that you signed your last letter “Love.” I stared at that word for a long while before I took out your photo, then I looked at that for a long while. I felt so much. I don’t think there’s enough paper or words in the world to explain just what was going through my mind. I think I felt every human emotion and maybe some new ones besides. I don’t know what to think or say. I wonder if you meant it seriously or if I’m only hoping you had, but no matter the case, I need to say this to you while I still have the chance, Jim:

I’ve fallen in love with you.

I didn’t know that it was possible to fall in love with a man you’ve never met and never will meet, but it is. And it’s beautiful. And it’s painful. I’m sure that you were meant to be with me and I with you, but some terrible accident happened along the way and we got separated. You are the man I thought didn’t exist. Why can’t you be here with me? Why can’t I be there with you? Through this short time, you’ve given me so much. Including courage. So, I have to tell you: I called off my wedding. Because of you. Of course, no one else knows exactly why. I told Roy that I was canceling the wedding because I wasn’t in love with him anymore (which is not a lie - we are not the same people we used to be), and he actually said to me: “Well, what sort of reason is that to call off a wedding?” And I knew then that I could never regret that decision. What is life without love? My family is upset and I’m not sure that my father will speak to me any time before I’ve got gray hairs, but it’s worth it. I haven’t been happy. You have made me happy. I will continue to chase this feeling.

I only hope that you feel the same. If you don’t, I can try to understand. It’s just… well, you are “enough” for me, Jim. And then some. You are helping me to change my life. You have become the voice in my heart. You have helped me more than I can ever say.

I wish I had forever with you. Maybe one day I will. I know that we will find each other again someday. Something like this, people like us - it’s meant to be. It has to be.

Please always know that you have helped me become who I needed to be, and remember that I love you.

Love, Always Yours,
Pam


Jim reread the letter at least a dozen times. He couldn’t believe it. She loved him. She had said it was strange to love someone you had never meant, but he understood completely because he was utterly convinced that he had fallen in love with her as well.

He wasn’t sure if he would be able to find the right words, but he picked the pen up anyway.


My Pam,

I signed my letter that way on purpose. You’re not the only one who has fallen in love. I feel weird admitting that I’ve fallen for somebody that I’ve never met, but I think you understand. It’s kind of like falling in love with a shadow. But I think it’s better to have the shadow of love than nothing at all. I wish I was with you. All I can say is that if I ever find a time machine, my first stop will be 1924.

I wish I could hold your hand and help you. I know it must have been hard to call off the wedding and dealing with your family is going to be tough, but I’m proud of you. You took a chance and you’re doing something for yourself. You deserve it. You deserve love in your life. Please don’t ever feel like you don’t. I want you to be happy. You may go through some hard times, but when you do, just look at my photo and know that I’m pulling for you. Remember that there’s at least one person in this crazy universe who only wants the best for you and supports you 100%, even if he can’t be there in person to tell you. I’m not saying that this thought is going to make your hard times feel painless, but it’s a nice thing to think. I think about you when I’ve had a hard day and it gets me by. Hopefully I can do the same for you.

I kept my promise - I enrolled in those writing classes. It’s nothing compared to what you have done, but we’re both making changes. I like that. I don’t think I’m the same person that I was when I first found your letter, so thank you. You’ve helped turn me into someone I never thought I could be. I wish I could show you just how I’ve changed. And I’d like to see how you’ve changed. Well. I’d just like to see you.

Who knows if I’ll get the chance to say this again, so: I love you.

I love you.

You deserve it hear it more than once. You deserve to hear it every day. I wish I could be the one to do that for you.

I’ll be thinking about you.

Love,
Jim


He stared at his letter and wondered if he should add more. Finally, he sighed and stuck the letter into an envelope.

As he pressed down on the envelope to seal it, he said quietly, “She’ll know.”


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans