- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
And now, the end of our story, where Stanley gets what's coming to him.
"Would you like me to pass him a note after recess?"

When Stanley said this, the blood stopped pounding in Pam's head, and the wheels started turning. There was no way she was going to write Jim Halpert a love letter. She was too shy for that sort of thing. The closest she came to such intimacy was in her sketchbook, which nobody ever saw.

But if Jim still didn't know how she felt, even after the beach - my goodness, she thought fleetingly, maybe Stanley's right, maybe he is an idiot! - she could at least nudge him in the right direction.

It was now or never. She grabbed a piece of paper from her message pad, reached into a box she kept in her desk drawer, and pulled out an old yogurt lid.

* * *

Two days later, on Friday, Kevin, Oscar and Stanley were eating lunch in the break room.

"Yesterday Jim came back," said Kevin. "Without Karen. He went straight to the conference room. To talk to Pam."

Oscar shrugged. "They talk all the time." Stanley ate his potato chips and read the paper.

Kevin pressed on. "Today Jim had the day off. Pam called in sick. Dwight drove to her apartment to see if she was really sick."

"Michael should not let Dwight do that," said Oscar. "It's intrusive."

Kevin swelled with excitement.

"He saw Jim's car!"

"It's Dwight," said Stanley, peering at his newspaper. "He probably saw Elvis, too."

"Don't you see?" Kevin said, frustrated. "They are totally hooking up!"

Oscar gave an arch look. "Kevin, even if that were true, it would be none of our business."

"But Jim and Pam are doing the deed!"

Stanley threw his newspaper down onto the table. He growled, "And this is my problem how?" He got up, picked up his trash, and walked away.

* * *

On Monday, Jim and Pam were back at work. Karen was there in the morning. When she yelled at Jim in the break room, you could hear it all the way from Vance Refrigeration. She was gone by noon.

In the mid-afternoon, Stanley came back to his desk after break. On his chair, he found a steaming, hot pretzel. And a note, which read,

From your secret admirer.

Stanley bit eagerly into the pretzel.

***

The End.
Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading! As always, reviews are welcome. No infringement intended.


Guten Tag is the author of 3 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 15 members. Members who liked Tough Love also liked 2622 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans