- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay, this is the beginning part of Jim's last week in Scranton before he leaves for Colorado...will he be able to win Pam back? Read to find out! LOL.

The title comes from "Limousine" by Brand New, which is a song about a little girl dying in a car accident...terribly depressing, I know. But the actual song has nothing to do with the story...just that line does...

A big thank you to everyone who has been reading and reviewing the story! I know Jim seems a tad bit OOC with rejecting Pam and all, but remember, he's young, and this is a story about how he becomes the Jim we all know today...

Anyway, enough with the rambling, here's the latest chapter!
Usually, if a girl was mad at me, I’d call her and apologize. Then I would give it about a week before I call her again…but I was on a time crunch—I had only a week left in Scranton, and I wanted to make things better with Pam before I left. So when I left Michael and Holly’s apartment, I quickly rushed back to Tom’s house, and switched on my laptop. I quickly scanned through the list of the songs that I had, searching for the right ones. Let me tell you something, having 7000 songs can be a son of a bitch. Sure, you sound really cool when someone asks you how many songs do you have in your ipod, and you reply just over 7000, but when you’re trying to make the perfect CD, it will stress you out.

So for the next hour and a half, I picked around thirty songs, burned two CD’s, and paced around my room cursing my computer for being so slow. Yes, I made Pam two CD’s…you’ll see why in a bit. So once the two CD’s were done, I called Pam. Obviously, she didn’t answer, so I kept calling her. I’m sorry, but when you’re on a time crunch, you have to be a creeper…especially if it was for someone like Pam. I called her five times, and each time, she answered and then hung up on me. Smart girl…she wasn’t going to let me leave her a voice mail.

So I texted her, “Real mature, Beesly. Listen, I really need to talk to you…explain things, you know? I’ll be at the park, so please meet me there. Just to let you know, if I have to, I’ll stay there all day and all night…and I’m tall and scrawny, so I’ll probably get picked on by all the ten year olds.”

It was about 3:00 when I arrived at the park, and as usual, there were kids running around playing soccer, football, baseball, and basketball. I took a seat on the bench that Pam and I usually sat on near the end of the park. It was a nice bench…it was just on the edge of the woods, nice and cool, and it contained a lot of good memories. It was our bench…

It was 5:00 when I started to feel hungry. I hadn’t eaten anything that day. My ipod battery was low, and I was cursing Apple for basically making a monopoly on MP3 players. You would think if you pay 400 bucks for an ipod, the battery life would be much better than four hours. And then, little kids were starting to gather around me…I guess they were intrigued by a 6’3” guy sitting alone in a park for hours.

It was 7:00 when my ipod died. See? I told you the ipod batteries last only seven hours. Pam wasn’t there, and she probably wasn’t going to come. I was still hungry, and I was starting to get a little angry. I had to remind myself that it was my own fault, and I shouldn’t have rejected Pam in the first place.

It was 9:20, and I saw her walking towards me. Her face was difficult to read, and I had no idea what to say to her. Good job, Jim, you sat here for a good six hours, and you didn’t come up with anything to say to her. I got up, and we met halfway, both of us standing in the baseball diamond. Pam crossed her arms, and glared at me.

“Holly called me. She said you asked Michael to bring you a burger about an hour ago…” Pam said, still glaring.

“I’ve been here since three…” I mumbled. Pam let out a dry laugh. “Listen, can we go to your car?”

“Why?”

“Because…” I pulled out the CD’s that I made her from my pocket. “I made you these…and…uh…well, one of them has songs that I know you’d like, and the other has Backstreet Boys and Good Charlotte…”

“What?”

“I want you to choose,” I explained, shrugging. “They’re not marked, see?” I showed her the two blank CD’s. “If you choose the one with songs that you like, then you have to hang out with me for the rest of the week…if you chose the one with the lame songs, then I’ll leave you alone…”

Pam gazed down at the CD’s, then back up at me with a skeptical expression, and nodded her head towards her car.

“All right, let’s go…” she said, walking towards her blue Geo. “You could have saved me the trouble of walking, and met me at my car…”

“You could have called or sent me a text,” I teased, but my grin faded when Pam shot me a dirty look. “Sorry…”

I stepped into Pam’s car, and I took a deep breath.

“Pam, I’m sorry…I’m sorry about everything,” I explained, staring over at Pam. “I really care about you, and I guess last night…I guess…I thought I was going to end up hurting you. I’m in love with you…everyday, I wake up smiling because I know that you’ll call me…lately, I wake up smiling because I know that I’ll be able to see you everyday. And I’ve been this gigantic asshole to Katy, and…I thought…I thought that you could do better than me, and that’s why I said all those things last night. But I love you…I really do. And I will never treat you like how I treated Katy. And yeah, I know I’m being really forward and creepy, but honestly…I don’t have much time before I leave…”

“Whatever,” Pam said, grabbing a CD from my hand. “Let’s just get this over with…”

She turned her key, and popped the CD into the deck. Silently, I prayed with all my heart that the first song that played would be “Street Spirit” by Radiohead. But it wasn’t…instead it was “Lifestyles of the Rich and the Famous” by Good Charlotte. Don’t ask why I had that song in my computer…or Backstreet Boys for that matter. Fine, they were guilty pleasures…what? Like you don’t have embarrassing music in your hard drive?

I sighed, and looked over to Pam one last time. Her expression was hard to read.

“Well,” I said. “It was worth a shot, right?”

Pam looked over at me, and I gave her one last smile before I opened the car door, and headed out. I walked halfway to my car, when I heard Pam’s door slamming.

“You’re an asshole, you know that?” she called out. I slowly turned to face her, and Pam’s face twisted into a furious expression. She began to shake the CD in my face. “Seriously, what are you doing giving me this horrible music?”

“What?”

“This is the most horrible music ever made!” Pam exclaimed. “And you just leave everything up to a fifty-fifty chance?”

“I’m sorry…” I said, feeling terrible.

“Good, because what if I was some stuck up bitch, and actually let you go away? The last thing I’d remember about you was that you gave me a shitty CD…” Pam smiled. “And…that whole making me choose which CD to pick thing was pretty stupid as well…”

“Oh, I thought—“

“Because,” Pam continued, interrupting me. “You’re leaving everything up to a fifty-fifty chance…and chance can’t make my decision for me…”

Pam laughed, and I let out a nervous chuckle.

“I mean, you waited here for hours for me,” Pam said, suddenly turning serious, and stepping closer to me. “That guy would have left a long time ago…and you’re not that guy. Because if you were, then I wouldn’t like you, and I’m trying really hard not to like you, but I can’t not like you…”

Pam’s lips were about a centimeter away from mine. Our noses were gently grazing. Even though it was dark, I could probably count each of her eyelashes. I gently put my hands on her face, and our lips finally met. Her soft lips were pressed against mine, and it was better than anything I could have ever imagined. It was as if everything in the world had paused, and we were the only ones in motion. I felt her fingers sliding through my hair. I had never felt so elated…ever.

“Wow…” I smiled when we had pulled apart.

“Yeah…” Pam sighed, smiling up at me.

And all of a sudden, we had both burst into laughter. I don’t know why Pam was laughing, but I was laughing because I felt like a giddy little school girl whose crush had finally asked out on a date. Hopefully, Pam was laughing for the same reason, but there’s no way of knowing what was going on in her head. Like Michael had once said, “We don’t have the technology.” Realizing that I was thinking about Michael sobered me up a bit…

“I was expecting that to be weird,” Pam admitted.

“Was it?”

“No…was it weird for you?”

“Not at all…”

“Good,” Pam smiled. Suddenly she hit my arm. “You’re still an asshole though…”

“Ow-uh!” I cried, rubbing my arm, pretending it had hurt. “God…you punch like a man!”

“Suck it, Halpert,” Pam laughed, sticking her tongue out.

“Gosh, Pam…not on the first date,” I said in a bashful tone.

We both jumped back as my stomach growled loudly. Pam giggled, and put a hand on my stomach.

“Aw…is Jim hungry?” she asked in a baby voice.

“Dude, I haven’t eaten anything all day,” I told her. “And little kids were staring at me because I was sitting by myself on our bench…my ipod died, I’m probably going to write an angry letter to Apple about their lame ipod batteries, and Michael didn’t bring me a damn burger…”

“Well, I don’t mean to sound like a bitch, but…” Pam teased. “You deserved it…”

“Oh, I know…” I nodded in agreement. “So…do you want to go to the 24 hour IHOP?”

“Sure…do you want to buy me waffles?”

“Obviously,” I laughed, taking Pam’s hand, and walking towards my car.

I was certain that both of us were thinking the same thing: what happens now? But I’m pretty sure that neither of us cared. Tonight was just the two of us. There were still a countless number of questions that needed to be answered, such as what happens when I have to go back to Colorado? But that could wait, because I didn’t want to ruin tonight. When I opened the passenger door of my car, Pam hugged me tightly.

“I know it’s too soon to say this, and I don’t even know what we are,” she said softly, still holding onto me, “but I really do love you…”

“I love you too, Pam,” I told her, breathing in the sweet smell of her hair, and smiling.
Chapter End Notes:
The next six chapters will be about what Jim and Pam do in their (maybe) last week together...

Please rate and review! THANK YOU!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans