- Text Size +
The Decision


“There was a message for you,” said Mark as Jim entered the kitchen, disheveled and bleary-eyed.

“A what?” Jim asked, confused.

“A message,” Mark repeated. “Rough night?”

“You could say that.” Jim padded over to the refrigerator, looking for the orange juice. Mark looked on in amusement. He was Jim’s new roommate, an old acquaintance from college. Jim had been reluctant to put out the advertisement, having had enough roommates in college and not missing it, but rent was due and he still didn’t have a job, so it was inevitable. Mark had not been the first applicant, but upon meeting they discovered they had met before, a kind of ‘friend of a friend’ thing, and after that there was no reason for Jim to interview anyone else. They were still feeling each other out, but neither seemed to have any strange habits and so far they had gotten along well.

“What happened?”

Jim winced. Danielle happened. After weeks with little money for food and even less for dates, she had finally snapped in impatience. “My girlfriend. Apparently she’s sick of hanging out and drinking cheap beer.”

Mark laughed. “I can’t imagine why.”

Jim chuckled despite himself. “I know, right? I mean, eating ramen and watching reruns of Law and Order is the new dinner and a movie, everyone knows that.”

“Totally. Although, you may want to think about kicking it old school, Jim. Just for a night.”

“What, you mean like real dinner and a movie?” He feigned horror. “Dude, that’s a precedent I can’t afford to set. Emphasis on can’t afford.”

“You haven’t heard back from anyone?”

“Any jobs? No. I’m really not that surprised. It’s the beginning of summer, and everyone out of college is trying to land a job. I don’t have the experience for anything really good yet, and I’m going to take another call center job. I left that kind of stuff for a reason.”

Mark gestured at the answering machine. “Well, maybe today is your lucky day. I think your message is a job offer.”

Suddenly Jim felt much more awake. “Really? From who?”

Mark shrugged. “Dunno. Dunder’s Muffler’s or something like that.”

“Dunder Mifflin? Oh God.”

Mark raised an eyebrow. “What’s wrong?”

Jim sighed. “Nothing. It’s just…I already knew I had gotten the job there, but it was the last place I wanted to work. I was really hoping for something better.”

“How long has it been?”

“Since the interview? I don’t know…two weeks?”

“Damn, Jim, and you haven’t accepted by now? Is the job really that bad?”

Jim sipped his orange juice. “I don’t know. I mean, it’s a sales job, so pays commission on top of minimum wage. Better then what I was getting – much better, actually, if I do it well – but it’s still not as good as what I was hoping. And man, guess what I’m selling?”

“Mufflers? Mittens?”

“I wish. I’m selling paper.”

Mark choked on his milk. “Paper? I didn’t know anyone actually sold paper. I thought you just…went to Staples and bought it, or something.”

“Seriously. On top of that, the boss there is bizarre. He spent the whole time trying to make me laugh, but it was more awkward than funny. Painfully awkward.”

“Sheesh, I don’t blame you for wanting the job. You have any more interviews set up?”

“No.” Jim thumbed the play button on the answering machine. Mark leaned forward, interested.

YOU HAVE ONE NEW MESSAGE.
MESSAGE RECEIVED TODAY, AT 9:22 AM.
“Hello, this message is for James Halpert,” said a dour male voice. “Hi Mr. Halpert, this is Toby Flenderson at the Dunder-Mifflin Office Supply Company. We had an interview a few weeks back, and we just wanted to remind you that the position is still open, should you wish to accept. We’d love to have you on board. If you could let us know, Jim, as soon as possible, whether you are still interested or have gone else where, would you? If you have any further questions about the position, please feel free to call me at 570-612-4800, extension 12. Have a nice day.”

And that was that. Jim drummed his fingers on the counter, considering. Mark watched him, and after awhile, spoke.

“Well? You gonna take it?”

Jim ran his fingers through his hair. “I…I don’t know…”

Mark frowned. “Shit, Jim, I think you have to. If you haven’t had any other offers, and there aren’t any other interviews lined up, you can’t let this one go by. It doesn’t have to be permanent, but you gotta have something.” He paused. “Besides, I didn’t sign up to room with a freeloader.”

Jim laughed and straightened. “I guess you’re right. It doesn’t have to be permanent. I’ll work long enough just to save some money, get some experience to put on my resume, and then I’m gone.”

“Love ‘em and leave ‘em, that’s the spirit,” said Mark mockingly.

Jim grinned. “Go to hell. And give me the phone.”

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans