- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The book I reference is actually out there in circulation.  I kid you not.

It was written by Bill Adler, who also brings you:

Outwitting Squirrels: 101 Cunning Stratagems to Reduce Dramatically the Egregious Misappropriation of Seed from Your Birdfeeder by Squirrels

 

 

And you KNOW Dwight owns both. :) 

 

Run.  Do not walk to your local Barnes and Noble. :)

 

Janie slid into the car, a little breathlessly.  It's November and her cheeks could be stained pink by the cold air.

But there's another reason entirely.

"Hey Dad."  She smiled as she fastened her seatbelt.  "Thanks for picking me up."

"No problem."  Jim replied.  Janie's car had stalled the other day and he didn't like the idea of her getting stuck out on the road all alone.  He had to talk to Pam about going to look into buying her a new one.  Something used, probably, but more reliable.

"How was your day?"

How was my day?  Janie's head was still spinning.  It was simply amazing, stupendous nothing short of spectacular.  There weren't enough adjectives in the world to describe the type of day it has been.  It was the single most perfect day of her life.

Kurt asked her to Homecoming.

Really, truly asked her.  And not as "just friends".  He asked her, bumbling and stumbling a bit over the words but he'd done it.

And she couldn't be happier about it.

She just wasn't quite sure her father was ready to hear it though.

"It was alright."  she said as she nibbled nervously on her nails and shifted in her seat to change the radio station.  For the next two traffic lights they sat in silence.  Janie could feel his eyes on her, could see clearly the smirk he wore out of the corner of her eye.

She turned and looked at him quizzically.  "What?"

"I didn't say anything."  Jim shrugged.

"You didn't have to.   Go ahead."  She nodded her hear towards him and looked so much like Pam at that moment it made Jim grin widely.   "You're obviously dying to say something to me."

"Nope.  Not really." He shrugged again.

And this was what was so infuriating about her father.  Janie thought with a sigh.  He was endearing without even trying.

She narrowed her eyes at him.  "What did Mom say to you?"

"What makes you think she's said anything?  Guilty conscience Jane?"

Janie's expression clearly said "Are you serious?"  She sighed.  "No.  You two are always off chatting and giggling like idiots."

"Hey."  He gave her a scolding look, which didn't quite have the desired effect because of the smile he'd paired with it.  "I happen to really like talking to your mother."

"Or not talking to her."  Janie rolled her eyes.

"That's her game - not mine."

"You two do realize that you both are pushing fifty."  She gave him a look.

"Don't let her hear you say that.  She's very sensitive."

"Oh yeah sure, old man."  Janie giggled as she ran a hand over the top of his head, mussing up his already unruly hair.

He tried to smooth it down again as he glared over at her.  "You know I was questioning my paternity the other day and now I'm sure you're not actually mine…"

Janie's giggle morphed into a hearty laugh.  "Ha!  As if after all you two went through Mom would ever…"

"I don't know - she told me something kinda…disturbing."  Jim began his voice tentative.   He loved both his children with equal affection but there had always been something special about Janie.  She was his first and from the moment she wrapped her tiny fist around his finger he'd been lost.

Janie gnawed on her bottom lip, suddenly worried.  The one thing she's always been sure of was her parents staying together till the next millennium.  They were perfect for each other.  Was he saying he was actually doubting that she'd been faithful to him?  The idea was preposterous.

Janie did have reason to worry - but that wasn't it.

"What's that?"

Jim tried to sound as casual as he could.  "Something about you and…Kurt spending time together…"

Janie's heart skipped a beat at the sound of Kurt's name.  She fought to keep her voice light.  "Well.  We both work on yearbook…"

Jim could tell by the tone of her voice there was more to it.  "And?"

"And he's…just…really…nice."

"You…sound…just…like…your…mother."  He replied, mimicking her tone as he gave her a look.  "Jane Anne.  You're evading the question."

She shook back her hair and sighed a little.  "I don't know - I just really like him.  He's ummm…a good friend."

Friends?  Oh God.  The little alarm in Jim's head started to ding.  He fought to keep his voice steady.  "Would you call him your best friend by any chance?"

Janie waited a few moments before she spoke again.  "Maybe."

Jim exhaled a bit.  She'd said "Maybe".  Maybe was good.  Maybe wasn't, 'Yes of course'.  There was still some sort of hope.

At least that's what he thought until he glanced at Jane sideways.  It was then when his heart stopped beating.

Oh my God.  Pam was right.

The dreamy look in Jane's yes and the impish grin on her face spoke volumes.

His "baby" had officially grown up.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Kurt couldn't believe the words had actually come out of his mouth.  Sitting at his desk in his room he thought back to how it had all finally happened.

"If you keep doing such a good job selling ads - we'll have no room for senior pictures."  She nudged his arm gently.

Kurt shrugged.  "It's the Schrute blood. We used to peddle our wares in horse drawn buggies all over the sylvan woods…"

"Oh my God.  That sounds like something my dad would say - when he's - you know - making fun of your dad."

"That's because it is something my dad has said."

Janie put down her pencil and stopped sketching a cartoon of a cheerleader for the football page for a second.  "Do you ever think it's weird?"

"What's weird?"

"You know.  How in a weird way we're…like connected.  How our parents used to work together?"

"No."  He smiled shyly. "I think it's weird our parents had their lives documented on national television."

"I KNOW!"  Janie's eyes nearly popped from her head.  "Every time I watch that and see my mother."  She sighed heavily. "It drives me crazy.  How could she not see how my dad was right there, the whole time?"

"Maybe it's hereditary." Kurt replied softly.  His face blanched and his mind started to spin. 

Janie was having trouble catching her breath. "Huh?"

"How long have we known each other, Janie?"

She blinked at him.  "Forever…I…guess."

Too late now, Kurt - just go for it.  You know you want to.  "I've been right here, the whole time."

Janie's pencil dropped to the floor with a dull thud, rolled slowly across the ground and slid under the radiator.  It was the only sound in the room at the moment.

"I know that."  She whispered as she stared into his eyes.

He was lost, simply…lost as he gazed back at her.  "OK." 

"I j-just…"  Janie stammered. "I didn't think you noticed me…I mean…like that."

Drunk on the sound of her voice saying the words similar to the ones he'd always hoped for Kurt was suddenly emboldened.  "You were wrong."

"OK."  She replied.

He took a deep breath and forged ahead. "Janie, would you  - I mean do you - have a date for Homecoming?"

"No."  She shook her head her curls swaying back and forth as she did.

"Do you want one?" He asked, getting nervous again as he pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose.

She smiled then and it lit up her whole face.  "That'd be nice."

He was roused from reminiscing when his father's shadow darkened his doorway.

"Your mother told me everything and we need to approach this strategically."  He began.  "Like the Empire…plotting revenge on the rebel forces.  I'll be Darth Vader…"

It was always interesting to see what inane reference his father would pick.  "Which would make me Luke Skywalker and have us on opposite sides…kind of a bad example Dad..."

Dwight was undeterred.  "No.  It's a brilliant example.  You're Luke.  She's…Leia."

Kurt shook his head.  "Still bad.  That would make her my sister..."

He decided to approach this whole thing differently.  "I am an expert on this subject.  You must listen to me, and listen well.  These…rebel forces are going to try and trick you and take you to the true dark side.  Trust me.  There's something else to this.  I know them and I am also sure that he has been plotting this for years."

"Dad.  Mr. Halpert did not plan anything…"

Dwight stood and moved to the hallway lifting up an enormous file box.  "This is 2005-2006.  Grievances include but are not limited to…"

Kurt sighed.  He should have seen this coming.  "Dad."

"What?"

"This thing.  Me and Janie?  Listen to me.  It is not an elaborate plot to get to you."

"You do not know what you are talking about.  The Halperts, they are incredibly devious.  You need to know how to fight them."

He had always known this wouldn't be easy.  "This isn't a war Dad…"

"I have something you should read."  Dwight replied as he handed a book to Kurt with a smile.

Kurt regarded the paperback he held in his hand.  "Outwitting Critters: a Sure-Fire Manual for Confronting Devious Animals and Winning"

"Those Halperts are like the rodents.  They're insinious."

His father was forever mangling words.  "It's insidious."

"That's what I said.  They are conniving and cunning but Kurt, we're even more cunning that they are cunning."  His voice lowered dramatically as he finished.  "We're cunning..inger"

And knowing no one could argue with that type of logic, Kurt decided to give in. 

"You're right Dad.  I better be careful."

Pride filled Dwight's features and radiated in his voice. "Exactly."

"I should do my part and infiltrate enemy territory."  Kurt added.  "It's my duty as a Schrute to get as close to Janie Halpert as I possibly can."

Kurt could have been imagining it, but he was pretty sure he saw a glimmer of a tear in his father's eye.  "I'm so glad you've seen the light, my son."  He said as he hefted the box and made his way towards the hallway.

"I have.  I'll keep you posted on what I'm able to find out - you know - as soon as I'm close enough."

"Excellent."  Dwight called over his shoulder.

Kurt smiled and turned back to his studying.  Wasn't that just the worst?  He had just been told he'd practically be disowned if he didn't try to get as close to Janie as possible.

It was a tough assignment, but who was he to disobey?

 


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans