- Text Size +

Disclaimer: I love all of these characters but profit from none of them in any way. No harm or infringement intended. 

Past...and maybe future

Pam was tired, no doubt, but she didn’t sleep. She stared at the clock (which somehow still read 1:00 when the spirit of June 3rd Yet To Come left). She was contemplating what she had seen. Her joyless, unchanging future stretched out before her. Finally, 2:00 came.

 

She was listening for the pop this time. She turned to face her last spirit guide, wondering what awful specter her dreams would conjure up for this last, worst vision.

 

It was Phyllis, and she was luminous. “Hi, Pam. You ready for a trip down memory lane?” She smiled sweetly, and made the gesture to whisk them both through time.

 

When they landed, they were in the Dunder Mifflin office, by the elevator. Phyllis spoke softly, although of course no one could hear them. “This was one year ago, Friday, June 3rd, 2005.”

 

The past Pam emerged from the elevator wearing her pink blouse and gray skirt. The two visitors followed her into the main office area, where she sat down at her desk. Pam, again, found it incredibly bizarre to see herself from the outside, although she figured this would be how it would feel once the documentary started to air. “I don’t remember anything special about this date last year. What are we here to see?” she asked the spirit.

 

“Just watch, Pam.” The vision Phyllis smiled cutely, just like the real Phyllis sometimes did. At that moment, Jim entered the office.

 

“Good morning, Pam,” he said cheerily, flashing his best smile. “It’s Friday!” He leaned his upper body toward her, resting against the tall reception desk. Pam’s eyes filled with tears at the simple greeting. She’d missed him so much since those awful, awkward moments after they’d kissed. She missed this smile, the one that was just for her. She’d missed these little moments of friendship and camaraderie.

 

Past Pam smiled up at Jim. “Thank goodness! Not that I have big weekend plans. Roy and his brother are going camping, just the two of them.” She was looking down at her computer screen, and didn’t see the flicker of longing in Jim’s eyes, but the Pam who was visiting saw it.

 

“Well, you can call me if you get bored. I don’t have anything going on.” His tone was light, but his expression was so hopeful, so open. “There’s an art exhibition at the local history museum that looks interesting. I mean, I thought it did, but you’d know more about that than I do.” He stood straight and grabbed some jellybeans. “You know; if you get bored.” Jim strolled back to his desk and sat down to work. The Past Pam just smiled and continued checking her e-mail.

 

Pam and the apparition of Phyllis watched them in silence as Michael came in for the morning, making some stupid jokes at Pam’s expense until Jim distracted him. They watched as Jim enlisted Past Pam’s help in a minor prank on Dwight. They watched as the morning went on with sporadic, meaningless chit-chat and constant exchanged looks and smiles between the receptionist and the salesman. She saw the light of the Past Pam’s grin and the look in Jim’s eyes as they talked and laughed.

 

Suddenly, Pam turned to the spirit. “There was nothing special about this day, was there? But he was here. He was here with me.” It might not have been the real Phyllis, but it was certainly her kind smile on the spirit guide’s face. “He wanted to spend time with me. He wanted to share my interests. He valued my input. He took a risk for his own happiness and mine…Oh, how did I let him go?”

 

With those words, Pam looked down and suddenly saw, as well as felt, the heavy chains around her. Regret was weighing her down. “Help me, Phyllis! What can I do?” Tears were rolling down her cheeks as she realized what she’d given up.

 

“I can’t tell you, dear. But the only way to be rid of those,” she gestured to the chains, “is to live from now on with no regrets. Don’t add another bad choice, Pam.”

 

“I can’t move like this. I can’t move!” Pam was panicking, and struggling violently. She was trying to get to the Jim in her vision but her efforts were futile. He just stared in love and anguish at the Pam sitting obliviously at the reception desk.

 

“I can’t!” Pam shouted, sitting straight up in bed. She was completely entangled in her bedclothes.

 

“Can’t what, babe?” It was Roy, reeking of beer and cigar smoke, finally stumbling in after his bachelor party.

 

“Huh? Oh, nothing. I was dreaming…take a shower before you come to bed, OK?” she said quietly. Pam heard the shower come on as she huddled back into the blankets.

 

“I can’t marry you,” she whispered. She’d say it louder in the morning. "God bless us, every one."

 

The End.

 

 



nqllisi is the author of 87 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 6 members. Members who liked God Bless Us Every One also liked 522 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans