- Text Size +
Story Notes:
The honeymoon has only begun, but inane intrusions from back home and the fact that Jim’s credit card has, for some unknown reason been cancelled has already put a damper on what had been a great start to their life together as a married couple.  Jim and Pam need something to help get the spark flickering again.
Author's Chapter Notes:

   

Floating Through Stardust   

It only took ‘til the third day for it to turn all weird and crazy.  The morning had been hectic...punctuated with a slew of inane calls from back home and topped off with the discovery that Jim’s credit card had, for some unfathomable reason been mysteriously canceled.  Most of the afternoon had been spent on the phone, going back and forth with the bank trying to convince a series of anonymous management drones that no, the card had not been stolen or lost and that yes, there was some unusual activity because, damn it...they were in fact in Puerto Rico...on their honeymoon! 

Eventually, it was all straightened out...but his card had been canceled so they had only Pam’s to rely on until a promised replacement would arrive in two or three days.  And while her line of credit wasn’t as...generous as his, Jim and Pam were more than determined that none of it was going to ruin anything.  Ah...eternal optimism...love ‘ill do that.

 

But as their colleagues had honored their vows with toasters and turtles and strangely disturbing paintings instead of the requested monetary considerations...well, they hadn’t brought along a whole lot of cash.  And both being somewhat frugal and practical types, comparatively speaking, they vowed to try and stretch things as best they could without hitting the ATM every few hours.  So they’d consciously cut back on extras and frivolities.  You know, things like lunch and cab rides and those decadent “his and hers” massages that were being offered by the local seaside spa.  But, none of those things were really missed.  After all...they had each other. 

 

But...after trudging along by foot on hot dusty streets under the glare of a blinding sun...hour after hour...well, after all that, even the glow of eternal love and kisses and bright, happy smiles might seem to tarnish...if only just a bit.

 

“Jim....this sucks!”  Pam plopped herself down in a rickety rattan chair at one of the string of outdoor cafés that lined the street of this most touristy side of town...each one promising the one true taste of “native” cuisine.  Pam sunk low into the chair, obviously tired and now, just a bit more than cranky.  “My feet hurt and I’m all sweaty and I’m sick of just walking around all day browsing in these cheapo stores trying to find stupid gifts to bring back to people at work who just don’t care about ruining our honeymoon with their stupid phone calls every fifteen minutes.” 

 

Now, standing at the curb, looking at his wife...God, it was still hard to believe...Pam was his wife...Jim felt a wave of desperation begin to envelop him as he tried to think of something he could do.  He was the husband...he should do something.

 

“It has been kind of a long day...hasn’t it?”  He settled in the seat opposite Pam and reached for her hand...the one adorned with the shiny gold ring.  She seemed to calm just a bit as his thumb began tracing small, gentle circles around the center of her palm. 

 

Pam squinted in the low, fading sun, “Yeah.” 

 

Her voice seemed subdued, even distant and Jim bit down on his lower lip, increasingly frustrated by the fact that the day’s events had so obviously upset her.  This was not how it was supposed to be.  This was their honeymoon for God’s sake...and it was supposed to be filled with fun and laughter and hugs and kisses and a lot more of the good stuff...and not this! 

Just then the waiter approached and Jim quickly ordered two lemonade “grandes” and a plate of Pestelillos, a sort of fried guava-filled dumpling that a couple they’d met, Frank and Bennie, had turned them onto their first night on the island.  He hoped some food and cool liquid refreshment might help bring back the smile to Pam’s face. 

 

“Let’s just get a big thing of candy or something that we can put out for them to take...if they want.”

 

Pam’s brow furled.  “Uh...what?”

 

Jim smirked as he squeezed Pam’s hand.  “A big thing of candy to bring back for everyone at work, instead of trying to buy dumb presents for everybody...like you said.”

 

Pam’s eyes brightened once she figured out what he was actually talking about.  She pursed her lips and nodded, “Yeah, cool...I like it.” 

 

The drinks and appetizers arrived and Jim allowed himself a small smile as he watched Pam scoop up one of the fried delights and devour a healthy morsel.  Sure she was eating for two and yes, she still seemed somewhat downcast...but seeing Pam with a healthy appetite was always a good sign.

 

“Okay, then...now that the question about gifts for the office is settled...what about tonight?”  Jim’s smile widened.  The sun had already started to set behind the distant hills and dusk would settle upon them soon.  Even still, the air was warm and comfortable...and sitting in the open air, arms and shoulders bare, was pleasant and relaxing. 

 

“I don’t know, Jim...I’m kind of tired.  Maybe we should just head back to the hotel?  We can just ‘veg’ out on the balcony...maybe watch the waves.”

 

Jim’s brow quirked and his smile turned to an exaggerated frown as he leaned forward pulling his wife closer.

 

“Nope!”

 

Pam laid her fork on the table, “What?”

 

“Sorry...no can do!”

 

Pam looked at him, puzzled.  The mischievous gleam in Jim’s eye intrigued her and she tilted her head in wonder.

 

“No Pam...we are not going back to the hotel.  It’s way too early...and I am totally dedicated to getting you out of this funk you’re in.”  Jim quirked his brow and stared at Pam with a quietly comic ferocity.  “It is my mission and vow...as a good and loyal husband to my new and adoring wife!”

 

“Oh, really?”  The trilling lilt in her voice betrayed Pam’s pleasant surprise. “Just what, may I ask did you have in mind...my dear?”  A slight smile crept to the corners of her mouth.

 

Suddenly, Jim panicked...he really had nothing in mind...but he knew now was not the time to falter.  “Um...let me see your purse?”

 

Pam’s brow furled as she looked at Jim quizzically.  “Er...okay...” she slowly slid it across the small table, “...here.”

 

Jim pulled the zipper open and reached inside, removing the sightseeing map they’d grabbed from the rack in the hotel lobby.  He unfolded it deliberately, spreading it out between them.  

 

“Okay...Pam...now, close your eyes.”

 

“Close my eyes?”

 

“No questions...just close ‘em.”  His voice was abrupt, commandeering.

 

Taken somewhat aback, she sat upright in her chair, shutting her eyes tight.  “Aye, aye...sir.”  Pam waved her hand in a quick salute.

 

“Now, just take your finger and touch it to the map.”

 

Pam extended her index finger, but let it hover above the table as she clenched her lips in concentration.

 

Jim chuckled under his breath, “Come on Beesly...no time to shilly-shally...just do it.” 

 

At the sound of his pet name for her Pam’s mouth softened into a broader smile...the tip of her tongue barely protruding from behind her teeth.  She loved that Jim still called her that and almost immediately, her spirits lifted. 

 

Without further hesitation, Pam let her finger drop.  As soon as it landed her eyes popped open wanting to know where it was pointing.   Her eyes dropped in disappointment.  “It’s in the middle of the ocean.  I’ll try again” 

 

“No, wait a minute...I think you’re on top of it”

 

“Is that what she said?”   Pam rolled her eyes as she slowly raised the tip of her finger.

 

Jim laughed.  “Good one...now let’s see what you’ve got.”

 

“Now...that’s definitely what she said!”  Pam laughed harder and Jim shook his head, glad to see his wife’s naughty sense of humor returning. 

 

“Okay, let’s take a look.”  Jim turned the map for a better angle.  “Hmmmm...BioBay!”

 

“Bio what?”  Pam craned her neck for a better look.

 

BioBay!” 

 

“What’s that?” 

 

Jim shook his head from side to side. “Don’t know...never heard of it.  Check what the map says.”

 

Pam quickly turned the map over, slowly drawing her finger across the legend until she found the entry. 

 

“Well Pam...what does it say?”

 

Pam squinted in the dimming light.  “Jim, listen to this.  Hidden along the coast is one of the island’s most spectacular sights, Bio Bay.  The mysterious blue-green light created by unique micro-organisms is a magical experience.  A trip into the bay on a balmy night is like floating through stardust.” 

 

“Floating through stardust...hmmmm.”  Jim looked up at Pam, a broad grin spanning nearly from ear to ear.  “Sounds good...let’s do it?” 

 

“You sure?”

 

“Well, Pam...it is a balmy night, right?”

 

“Uh, okay,”

 
Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading, hope you’re enjoying it so far.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans