- Text Size +
In his head, Jim practiced the words that he was going to say to her. Keeping one hand on the steering wheel, he felt in his pocket the hard square of the ring box. “Pam, will you marry me,” he repeated to himself over and over. “Will you… Marry me. Be my wife. Beesley, let’s stop playing games and get married already.”

Rubbing the velvet of the ring box with his thumb, he was seized with a sudden fit of anxiety. What if she didn’t like it? What if it was too big? What if it didn’t fit her delicate hand?

A few weeks ago he had planned everything to go perfectly at Toby’s going away party. The night air was warm and sweet. The fireworks lit up the sky, illuminating the curves of Pam’s face. Then, too, he had felt the velvet of the box, nearly thumbing it open as he turned to her and said, “Hey.” But Andy had chosen that moment to stand up on stage, grab the mic, and propose to Angela. Angela. And that had ruined the night for him. He swallowed his disappointment and put the ring back in his pocket, putting his dreams on hold, again.

But now he was going to do it. He couldn’t wait any longer. He was definitely going to ask her to marry him. The windshield wipers squeaked against the glass. Jim was headed to that little rest stop and he was going to go all out, down on one knee and everything.

And Pam, well, she didn’t have a clue.


justafan is the author of 2 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked Four Times Pam Could Tell Jim was Stressed Out (And the One Time She Couldn’t) also liked 355 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans