- Text Size +
Suddenly, she felt some strange sensations go through her— tightness in her throat almost if she couldn’t speak, severe pain throbbing in her head, her body feeling hot and cold and weak. As Pam reached towards the end of the tunnel, she could hear loud beeping noises of machines and felt Jim’s hold onto her hand again. She gently squeezed it and heard him whispering her name. He squeezed her hand again, she responded back and slowly Pam opened her eyes to see Jim looking down at her.

***
Jim felt his hand being squeezed gently. He looked up at Pam who still had her eyes closed, but he noticed her eyelids were fluttering. "Pam?" He whispered, choking back a sob. She slowly opened her eyes, revealing her hazel hues.

"Oh my god," he whispered. "You're awake," he said almost in disbelief. She tried to move her mouth, confusion coloring her face. "Shh…you have a tube in your mouth. Don't talk,” he soothed and pushed the nurse call button on the bed next to her.

"Yes, may I help you?" the nurse asked.

"Can you get Dr. Shepard here, Pam is awake," he smiled, looking down to Pam.

"Yes, right away.”

"Thank you," Jim said and then felt Pam squeezing his hand again and groaned softly in pain. “I’m here, Pam. I’m here. It’s going to be okay.” He squeezed her hand to assure her that he was by her side. He grabbed the cell phone with his other hand to dial Pam's parents’ number.

"Hello?" Helene answered.

"Hi, it’s Jim. She’s awake. Pam's awake," he said happily.

"She is?! I'm coming right there!" Helene shouted and hung up the phone.

"Your mom and dad are coming, Pam. Just hold on," Jim caressed her forehead and squeezed her hand gently.

"I heard the news that Pam is awake." Dr. Shepard came in the room with a couple nurses and went examine her. “Pam, look over here and follow the flashlight.”

Pam followed the light with her eyes slowly. "Can you squeeze my hands?"

Helene and Bill rushed into her room. "Oh Pam," Helene squeaked as she looked down to Pam.

"How are you doing, sweetie?" Bill asked, relief washing over his face.

“She’s still weak but responding well,” Dr. Shepard looked at them before looking back to Pam who was getting restless, irritated due to the continuous pain in her head and tube in her mouth so she tried to move her mouth again.

“Don’t talk, Pam. You’re going to choke on the tube,” Dr. Shepard kept his gaze on her and tried to hold her still.

“Stay still Pam,” Jim caressed her hand with his thumb and the other on her shoulder.

“Try to stay still, honey.” Helene patted Pam’s leg. “It’s okay.”

Pam looked over to them and eventually calmed a bit.

"Ok, Pam. I'm going take the tube out and I want to you take a deep breath as I take it out," he said as he took the tube out slowly from her mouth.

Pam began to cough harshly and her voice became raspy each time she took a breath.

“Easy, easy, easy,” Dr. Shepard put his hand on her shoulder and let the younger nurse put the nasal cannula on Pam.

"Jim," she whispered softly as she looked up to him.

"I'm here," Jim smiled as he squeezed her hand. "I'm here."

Pam groaned weakly and cringed in pain, “Okay Pam, I will give you some medication for your pain.” Dr. Shepard looked at her before turning to the older nurse behind him. “Chelsea, order some morphine please?”

“Yes doctor,” she nodded and walked out of the room.

"Is she going to be okay?" Bill asked.

"It will take time for her to recover Mr. Beesly,” he said then looked down to Pam. “Pam, listen-” He put his hand on her forearm to keep her calm. “I know that you are getting irritated or restless now. It’s due to the fracture, you have in your skull. You’ll have excruciating headaches, or get really tired at times because your brain needs to rest and you-”

“But didn’t she have surgery two days ago?” Helene interrupted. “Wouldn’t the pain stop right away after the surgery?”

“Yes and no,” he bobbed his head. “The pain doesn’t necessarily go away right after the surgery. It takes time for the skull to heal. She still has the side effects of skull fracture, even though we did the surgery on her and we can still give her medication to take edge off.”

“H-hurts,” Pam mumbled.

"It'll be okay, Pam," Jim looked at Pam who was getting restless due to the pain. “I know it hurts.”

“Here you go doctor,” Chelsea arrived with a couple syringes and bottles in her hand.

“Thank you,” Dr. Shepard gave a brief nod as he put the latex gloves on and put the syringes into Pam’s IV port then putting them into the hazardous red little box that hung on the wall. “You should get a bit of relief from the pain soon, okay?” He looked down to her and grabbed the chart on the table next to her bed.

“Ired…” Pam groaned weakly as she moved her head to the other side. “I want to sheep…”

“Do you want to go to sleep? Is that what you mean, Pam?” Dr. Shepard asked.

“Why is she speaking incorrectly?” Bill asked.

“It’s common in patients who have skull fractures. They'll have this very odd problem--they'll know the word they want to say but just can't come up with it. We call this anomia, which means can't name. The patient is saying it wrong by using a similar sounding word. For example: instead of saying, pass me the spoon, she might say pass me the noon.”

“Can that go away? Helene asked.

“Yes,” he nodded. “By going to speech therapy, they will help her speech and grammar.”

“How soon can she start that?” Jim asked.

“I can contact the speech therapy here at the hospital or you can have her go this place…” he took a piece of paper and pen out of his pocket of his white jacket and began to write down the name and the address. “Allied Services, I recommend that place if you decide to have her there. They offer the best services to people who have brain injuries.” He handed the paper to Helene and looked over to Pam who was getting more relaxed but was trying to keep her eyes open to stay awake. “Pam, don’t fight off to sleep. You still need rest.” Dr. Shepard put his hand on her shoulder.

“It’s okay Pam,” Helene interrupted and rubbed her leg. Pam’s sleepy eyes looked over to her parents and Jim. “We’ll still be here when you wake up,” Helene continued as they all nodded in agreement.

“They’re right Pam,” Jim nodded. He felt happy that she was awake after being in a coma. But then he felt a little disappointed that they would not be talking much because she needed her rest.

“If she gets drowsy or sleepy like this and forces herself to stay awake, it’s not good for the patient who has a brain injury,” Dr. Shepard said. “So, all of you need to assure her that’s okay to sleep.”

“Okay,” they murmured in agreement.

“And I’ll check on her about an hour or so from now,” he looked at Pam.

“Thank you,” Bill shook his hand.

Jim gave a brief nod to thank him before looking back to Pam.

"Please let me know if you need me. I'm glad she's awake and conscious." Then he left the room, leaving them alone.

Jim sighed of relief, "Oh thank god.”

Helene walked over to the other side of her beside and held her hand, "You're going to be okay.”

****
Later, Pam woke up as the sunset's rays shone through the blinds. She slowly turned her head, slightly wincing at the pain. She saw Jim, sitting by her bedside with his head in his hands. She had to blink twice to see if Jim was still there or it was just a dream.

"Jim?"

"I’m right here," He looked up at her and squeezed her hand before holding it securely. “I’m right here Pam.”

"I h-" She struggled to speak and sighed of frustration.

“Shhh,” Jim hushed. "It’s okay Pam,” Jim caressed her hand with his thumb. “Take your time. Like the doctor said, don't be frustrated with your speech."

"I earn music,” Pam tried again.

Jim frowned at her words as he caressed her face, “What do you mean Pam?”

“Sing,” Pam looked at him.

His eyes widened in realization, “You mean you heard the music that I played for you?”

“Yes,” Pam said hoarsely as she nodded slowly. “You,” She looked at his piercing green hues. “I m-miss you.”

“I missed you too Pam,” he smiled brightly and he brought her hand up to his lips.

“I-love-you…” she struggled a bit with her words.

Immediately, Jim looked up to her with a bit of a shock and tears began to brim in his eyes. “Y-you do?” Jim’s voice cracked.

Pam nodded slowly. “I l-love y-you,” she tried again.

Jim stood up then leaned over carefully to kiss her lips. It was more like last kiss but it had more love. "I love you so much," he planted a kiss on her forehead and then caressed her cheek carefully.

A small smile crept on her face as she looked up at Jim.

“God, I missed that smile,” Jim spoke without thinking.

Pam brought hand up weakly to Jim’s face and feeling the stubble on his face, “S-s-same.”

Jim brought his hand to lie on top of hers before bringing it to his lips.

“H-here,” Pam weakly pointed to the spot next to her.

“I don’t want to hurt you by lying down or get yelled at by the doctors to get off the bed,” Jim said.

“No,” Pam shook her head carefully and put her hand on Jim’s.

“Okay,” Jim nodded and began to lie down next to Pam. “Are you sure that you’re okay?” He carefully positioned his head on the pillow that they shared.

Pam nodded, “Y-yes.”

They shared a quiet moment with Jim holding her and them looking into each other’s eyes.

How I missed those hazel eyes. They would sparkle whenever we shared a prank, stories or a laugh after a stupid joke would be told. Jim smiled at the thought as he brought his hand to her face and brushed his fingers softly against her bruised cheek.

Pam frowned in confusion, “Wha-”

“Nothing,” Jim shook his head as he continued to brush her cheek. “I’m just happy that you’re awake.”

“Me t-too,” Pam said.

****

“What is he--” Bill saw Jim lying on the bed with Pam, fast asleep.

“Shhh,” Helene stopped him and smiled at the gesture before bringing the blanket over from the chair to lie on top of the sleeping couple. “Let them sleep,” she said and turned off the dim light above them before grabbing Bill’s hand to head off to the room next door.
Chapter End Notes:
Thanks to Deedldee and pamelamorganhalpert with the beta!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans