- Text Size +
Two weeks after Pam had woken up, she began the arduous task of speech and physical therapy with Allied Services. Her condition progressed with each visit but despite the obvious benefits she felt just by the act of getting out of bed, the process itself was exhausting.

"Hey," Jim arrived to her suite in his work attire. Ryan had taken over Pam’s job until she would come back to work. After much begging and negotiating, Jim was finally able to transfer back home to Scranton. He felt a little guilty at first for wanting to transfer and then wanting it reversed but he was too concerned with Pam to really care at that point.

“Shhh,” Helene shushed him as she pointed Pam who was asleep.

“Oh sorry,” he gave a wry look as he looked over to her.

“What are you doing here?” Helene asked as she put the magazine down on the table.

"Work was boring and I didn’t have any clients today so I decided to head out just a bit early."

“Oh, how nice of you,” she smiled and hugged him.

"So, how are you?" Jim asked.

“All right,” Helene bobbled her head.

"Did she have speech therapy today?" Jim sat down on the chair next to Pam’s bedside.

"Yeah," Helene said. "She just finished about 15 minutes ago."

"Oh," Jim simply said and pulled his tie a bit loose. “How did that go?”

“Good,” she nodded. “Getting little bit better with her words.”

“That’s great,” Jim smiled.

“Yeah,” Helene folded her arms and looked over to the clock. “Oh, it’s 12:30. Maybe I should go to the cafeteria and get some food,” she went over to her purse that was on the chair. “Do you want something to eat Jim?” she asked.

“Nah, I’m good.” He shook his head.

“Okay,” she nodded. “Be right back.”

As soon as Helene left the room, Jim decided to sit over near the window where the spot would be warm due to the sun’s gleaming rays. He spotted a big yellow drawing tablet lying on the table next to Pam’s bedside and a box of pencils nearby. He lifted his eyebrows curiously at it as he got up again, looking at Pam who was sound asleep in her bed and back to the tablet.

He gently picked it up without a sound. Once he opened the first page he saw the drawing little girl. She was sitting on the chair, pouting as she clutched her teddy bear close to her little body. She had on overall dress, white lace socks with black shoes and her curly hair pulled back by a bow, revealing the outer piece of her Cochlear Implant. Then another page was a collage of landscapes of the national parks in Scranton.

As he turned the next page, he gasped softly as he held the paper in his hands. It was a drawing of them; Pam had her hands laid on his chest as Jim gave out a small crooked smile as they looked at each other’s eyes lovingly while Jim held her in a warm embrace. Not only that, he looked down to the date: 4/25/06. Wait…that was several weeks ago before I confessed. Did Pam actually have some feelings for me? He thought as he looked down to Pam who was still sleeping soundly.

Suddenly, he jumped at the nurse’s beeping noise of her watch and immediately shut the tablet.

“Sorry,” the older nurse gave a wry look as she stopped the beeping and saw Pam resting. “I just came in to check her stats/vitals.”

“It’s okay,” Jim nodded as he put down the tablet while he looked at Pam. He wondered how long she had actually felt that way about him.

“Everything’s looks good,” the nurse chirped as she put the chart back into slot on the foot of her bed. “Hey,” she frowned as she looked back at Jim’s facial expression. It seemed dazed, almost as if he were in a daydream. “Are you okay, honey?” She tapped his shoulder.

“What?” He shook out of his reverie. “Oh, sorry.”

“Are you okay?” She asked.

“Yeah,” he nodded. “Just had a bit of a day at work today,” Jim looked up to her.

“I know what you mean,” she smiled. “We all have that.”
“How is she?” He asked.

“It looks like she’s getting better,” she looked over to the machine.

“That’s great,” Jim smiled.

“Well, I’m heading off and Dr. Shepard will come by later,” she smiled as she turned and headed out of the room.

Pam softly groaned as she turned her sore head to the other side.

“Hey,” Jim smiled as she opened her eyes.

“Hi,” she said softly.

“How are you?” He gently grasped her hand.
“Okay,” Pam sighed. “Sore.”

“It’ll get better soon,” Jim said. “Do you want me to move the pillow more?” He got up to reach for the pillow.

“No,” she put her hand on his arm. “It hurts,” she paused as she began to struggle to speak, “when I move it.”

“Okay,” Jim sat back down on the chair.

Pam frowned at his attire, “W-were you…at work?”

“Yes,” he looked down at his outfit before looking up at her. “I decided to head out early to come see you.”

Pam gave a smile as she gently squeezed his hand, “I missed you.”

“I missed you too,” he brought his hands up to his lips. For a moment, they looked at each other before Helene spoke as she came into the room.

“Hey honey,” she smiled while carrying a tray into the room.

“Hi,” Pam said softly.

“How are you?” She asked as she put the tray down.

“Okay,” she shrugged.

“Did you have a nice little nap?” Helene carried a soup over to Pam.

“Yes,” Pam nodded.

“I brought you something to eat, so you have some nutritious food in your system.” Helene put a spoon and a napkin by her hands.

Pam’s face immediately scrunched up in disgust as she took a taste of it. “Ugh!”

“What’s matter?” Helene asked.

“It’s nasty!” Pam shuddered and stuck her tongue out.

Jim laughed as he handed her a drink, “I should have warned you, all hospital food isn’t that great.”

“Jim!” Helene rolled her eyes. “Don’t listen to him.”

“I’m sorry, Helene,” Jim smiled. “Your mom is right though, she wants you to eat so you can be healthy again.” He looked at Pam.

Pam gave him an “I don’t like you right now but I still love you” look as she continued to eat her lunch.

*************************

A few hours later, Jim went back to his parent’s house, where he would be staying until he could find a decent apartment to rent. He changed into his comfortable clothes and then went back to the hospital.

He walked down the hallway, back to her room and found her lying facing away from the door, sobbing quietly.

“What’s wrong?” Jim frowned as he went to other side of her bed. “Pam?” He asked again and he saw her face wet with tears. “Hey, hey…” he gently whispered as he sat by her legs. “What’s the matter?”

“I--” she hiccupped. “I--” Pam struggled. “Can’t draw…” She blubbered as she covered her face.

“Shhh,” Jim held her against him while she sobbed and he looked over to the table by her, it had papers crumpled up in balls and pencils everywhere.

“It’ll be okay,” he hushed as he rocked her softly.

“I draw a line, no face,” her voice was muffled and hiccuped. “My drawing…is horrible!” She let out a cry.

“Your drawings aren’t horrible,” Jim said. “I’ve seen them.” He shifted his back and forth, hoping she wouldn’t yell at him for snooping.

“You…did?” Pam said softly as she pulled back to look at him.

“Yes,” he said timidly.

“Is it good?” Her voice croaked.

“Amazing,” Jim gave a small smile.

She picked up her tablet and held it in her lap, “I tried…” she swallowed back her tears. “Many times…”

“That’s okay,” Jim gently spoke as he shrugged his shoulders. “That’s okay,” he repeated. “There’s nothing wrong with that.” He put his forefinger under her chin to make her look at him. “You were hurt badly in an accident, and you were in coma for three days. Then you woke up and had to start a rehab right away so you can be back on your feet again.” Jim said. “Do you remember how you had your speech?”

“Yes,” Pam’s voice wavered.

“Did the therapist have you repeat words after her?”

“Yes,” she sniffled.

“It’s like that,” Jim shrugged. “It’ll take practice, by drawing again and again.” Jim said. “By the time, you’re finished with practicing; you’ll be drawing the way you always have. You’ve just gotta give it some time, let things heal,” Jim continued as he wiped her remaining tears.

“Yeah?” Her voice squeaked.

“Yes,” Jim nodded and slowly brushed his hands down her shoulders to her hands to hold them. “I promise you that it’ll get better.”

Pam sighed of happiness, “T-thank you.”

“You’re welcome,” Jim kissed her.

Pam fingered the edge of the tablet and slowly opened to the first few pages until the drawing of them.

“I-” Both of them spoke in unison.

“You go ahead,” Jim nodded.

“I drew a…picture of us.” Pam struggled at first. “I wondered what…our life would be like if we were together before.”

“Was it after I had said that I didn’t have a crush on you?” Jim asked.

“Yes,” Pam nodded. “I had feelings..for you.”

“Were you going to say that if I still had a crush on you?” Jim asked.

“Yes,” she said softly as she looked down to the blanket.

“But why did you say no that night?” Jim lifted her chin up.

“I-I was scared,” one of her tears escaped and rolled slowly down her healed cheek. “I didn’t know….what to do. I planned out the wedding…everything was good to go,” she fumbled with her hands. “I – didn’t know how-” she struggled to speak “You kissed me,” she looked up to his shining emerald eyes. “It was comfort and v-very loving. No one,” she shook her head as she put her hand on Jim’s cheek, “gave me that kiss,” she continued. “I-it was s-stupid of me, w-when I said ‘no’,” Pam felt a couple tears roll down her cheek.

“Hey,” he said gently as he held her face to stop her.

“It’s okay,” Jim wiped her tears with his thumbs. “We all make stupid mistakes, I made a mistake too.”

Pam frowned in confusion, “W-what?”

“I should have waited for you,” Jim caressed her cheek with his thumbs. “I should have been there with you when you canceled your wedding.” Jim brought his hands down to hold her hands. “But I guess our timing wasn’t right.”

“W-we’re here, right?” Pam gently squeezed his hands.

“Right,” Jim nodded as he smiled at her.

“I love you,” Pam smiled softly as she brought her hand back to his cheek.

“I love you too, Beesly,” Jim kissed her.

“I missed that,” Pam gave out a small giggle before Jim kissed her again.
Chapter End Notes:
Thanks to Deedldee and MilkandSugar for helping me with this chapter!


adampascalfan12 is the author of 7 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 6 members. Members who liked Love Cannot be Bound also liked 1297 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans