- Text Size +
.
DISCLAIMER – I don’t own anything.


A/N- Still working on Fifteen Months/Eighteen months combo story, that might take longer than I thought to get back up. Here is one of my favorites (is that braggy?) for your perusal.


Waking up in Vegas



Chapter 1


He was in that place between sleep and wakefulness, where you’re not completely sure what day it is, what time it is or where you are. His head ached, that much was certain. His dry tongue stuck to the roof of his closed mouth. As his mind cleared of the dream he had been having, he became aware that his right arm was firmly slung across – something. Or more specifically, someone. He moved his fingers lightly and yes, that was definitely someone’s bare skin under his hand.

He opened his left eye to find soft light brown curls mere inches from his face, the sound of whomever this was lightly snoring. He raised his heavy foggy head slightly, scanning the side of her face, watched her petite nose twitch, her lips curled into a smile, and watched her eyes move rapidly under her eye lids.

Mm, good dream.

He closed put his head back down and closed his eyes, resting again for a second before his eyes flew opened.

Pam?! That’s … this … what … okay. Calm down, Halpert. It’s just a dream.

Gently he removed his hand from around her waist and pinched his bare hip, groaning aloud at the pain he’d caused himself.

She shifted, making some sort of quasi moan and sigh as she turned over to face him, her eyes still closed. Her arm slid around his torso, and she burrowed her head into his chest, another soft sigh escaping her slightly parted lips.

The feel of her wrapped around him should probably be terrifying, or at the very least be a major concern to him. Especially considering that this most definitely was not a dream. And it more than definitely was not Karen.

See, Jim Halpert wasn’t that kind of guy, he reasoned. He wasn’t the guy who hooked up with women, random or one’s he had once professed his undying love to. Only to have a knife shoved in his gut – metaphorically, of course. He just didn’t do these things, no matter what kind of alcohol flowed freely. He was usually the guy on the sidelines, the one who wasn’t very lucky with women, especially not the one who currently had her head nuzzled under his chin. No, Jim is definitely not the guy who does that.

He should wake her, that’s probably best, he thought. Instead though, he closed his eyes, rested his chin near her forehead, and inhaled deeply – a light fruity scent filling his nostrils.


His memory flashed, pictures of a Roulette wheel, making bets with Pam. He remembered having too many tequila shots. Beer, there was some beer. She drank something pink and fruity.

Sales calls. Pam’s here because … because … stupid alcohol! Michael! Michael made her come with me … for… because of something. Notes. He wanted her to take notes. Because he’s a genius and thinks people in Vegas want to buy our paper… And … oh the … Karen… and the fight. We’ll discuss it when you get back, that’s what she said. She, oh she was pissed. Pissed because Pam was coming with me and she couldn’t go. We’ll discuss it when you get back. What am I? Her kid? What the hell … she … shit okay, seriously. I … does discuss it when I get back mean that it’s over with her? Or does it mean … see, women should come with a goddamn dictionary. Oh… that’s not a bad idea. I should totally market that. Okay get a grip, man. This is just a dream. I’m gonna wake up. This is gonna be Karen. Opening my eyes … nope, that’s still Pam. Shit! … Man, she’s pretty when she sleeps. She’s… so…

The way she jumped in the air when she kept winning. They switched games at some point. He remembers holding her hand to keep her from tipping over as they made their way to the poker table.

He remembers her shrugging shoulders, her brilliantly white teeth gleaming as she told him she most certainly had, in her words, the best cards ever.

The drunker they became, the crazier the bets became.

He wanted to recall what happened after she leapt up from her stool to throw her arms around his neck and kiss him square on the lips.

But that’s where his memory became fuzzier.

She shifted again, her eyes still closed as her lips began to graze his chest, leaving light kisses as she lifted her head.

With her eyes closed, she breathed in, clearing her throat before she said, “Good morning.”

He smiled at the sound of her sleepy voice, “Good morning.”

Her eyes shot open right then, staring at him with her mouth wide open, “Oh my God,” her hand flew to her forehead, “Oh my God.”

“Yeah, you said that already.”

She sat up, immediately grabbing the sheets as tight around her as she could, “Oh my God.”

“Let the thoughts form,” he grinned, sitting up and rubbing his eyes.

“What … who… where… when… how?”

“I think you got them all, yep.”

“Oh my God.”

“So apparently we had a pretty fun night last night.”

“Okay … wait. Where am I?”

He looked around, squinting his eyes, “Well, it’s definitely a hotel room. And the blinking lights out there says we’re in Vegas.”

“Thank you, Captain obvious.”

“I’m just trying to help.”

“There was alcohol. And a bar. And gambling,” she said, rubbing her eyes, “What… what did we do?”

“Apparently, I didn’t do it right if you have to ask that question,” he laughed, scratching his stubble laden chin.

She stared at him and blinked, her brow creased in the center, “I … I’m not that … I don’t do things like…” she motioned between them, “things like this. What the hell, Jim!?”

“Okay, calm down.”

Staring down at his hands, she noticed a gold fleck on his hand, she screamed, “Oh my God, Jim! What the … please don’t tell me what… you’re dating Karen, right? You married her? Wait… no, no you … I would know that. Did … where did you get that?”

He lifted his left hand, his mouth agape, shaking his head, “No, I’m …“ he looked down and lifted her left hand, an identical gold band fit snuggly around her ring finger.

With mouths open, and eyes wide, the stared at their hands, sliding their rings off in unison.

Holding it close to his eyes, he read aloud the inscription that was inscribed on the inside of the band, “Love, Pam,” he shook his head slowly and laughed, “Okay, okay don’t freak out, let’s not freak out, okay?”

She nodded, “Oh, sure, yeah, don’t freak out,” she said in a high voice, her hands running through her hair.

“Wow,” he chuckled, “This has to be like a joke or something. We didn’t really get married. That’s … that’s not what happened. We .. we didn’t get married.”

She felt around the nightstand for her glasses. Putting them on she wordlessly put on what she assumed was his t-shirt, and began pacing the room. She stopped when she saw an official looking document on the desk in the corner of the room.

Her eyes flew over the paper, her face filled with shock, “Oh my God!”

He quickly put on his boxer shorts and went to stand beside her, taking the paper from her hand, her eyes wide stared at his face as he read silently.

A smile crept over his lips as he looked at her, “So, you keeping your last name, Beesly?”

“How can you joke about this?!”

“Okay, come on, calm down.”

“Easy for you to say! You didn’t marry someone who’s dating someone else! I did! How could you let this happen?”

“What makes you think it was me?”

“I … I don’t go and sleep, or marry, men with girlfriends.”

“Okay, just take it easy, we’ll figure this out. Maybe it’s a dream.”

She shoved him lightly, making him stumble into the corner of the desk, “Ow, okay definitely not a dream.”

Pam stood motionless, staring at the marriage license as he rubbed his back. He put his arm around her shoulder, and peered over her shoulder to look at the license again.

“We’re terrible, horrible people,” she said quietly.

“Just take it easy. And please don’t shove me again. My head is pounding as it is.”

“Sorry. Okay. Well, get … get go… go do something and fix this.”

“I don’t think we can, till we get back to Scranton.”

“What do we do now?”

He shrugged, “Breakfast?”

“How can you think about food at a time like this?”

He tilted his head and smirked, “Oh, are we still talking about this?” he asked, pointing to the paper.

She lifted her hand to shove him again, but he caught it in his and kissed it lightly.

“What are you doing?”

“Well, we are married. So…”

She groaned, “Just. Go get dressed; I’ll see you in an hour.”


“Oh, is that how this marriage is going to work? You say jump?”

“Jim!”

“Wow, you’re grouchy in the morning. How did I not know that about you?”

.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans