- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


November 10, 2014

Hello Everyone,

It feels like it’s been forever since I’ve updated this blog. I guess things have been just a tad busy with a hint of nutty around here (as usual). The kids are getting bigger and more independent, which is great for a whole lotta reasons. They can dress, eat, and bathe themselves with little supervision. But my absolutely favorite part of this new phase is that Cece and Phil have become good buddies. There is nothing better than watching them play. For instance, Phil will come out of nowhere and tackle his big sister, catching her completely off guard. But our sweet princess is a bit of a spark plug and doesn’t let him get away - the chase is on! They laugh and giggle and tackle and chase and poke and then do it all again. Phil loves it and I know Cece loves it too, but I think part of her doesn’t know exactly how to handle her rambunctious little brother that won’t give up, won’t stop messing with her, and won’t stop giggling his head off when he’s coming after her…so so so cute.

Even though I’ve longed for these days, I’ve found myself nostalgic about the earlier days. Remember when Cece was born? She had those impossibly chubby cheeks and an abundance of baby folds. Parents who pretended to nibble on their children while saying they could just eat them up used to creep me out. But I found myself doing the same after Cece was born. She was, I have to admit, quiet delicious. And what can I say about Philip? Best baby ever. Phil would curl himself up and nestle cozily on our chests for hours. He wasn’t colicky, didn’t cry long and hard during the nights, and didn’t have his days and nights mixed up.

Look I didn’t forget the sleepless nights, the 2am feedings, or the diaper changes. I didn’t forget the days I came home late, stressed out after a bad day at work to a fussy baby. It was hard. But then after holding and rocking them for a while, they would fall asleep on your chest - this little warm package all sacked out, breathing deeply, sleeping like an angel while your heart laid down a thumping back beat. Let’s just say… another surprise wouldn’t be so bad. =)

That said…let’s return to more obvious updates. Like, I’m sure you’re not a bit surprise to hear that Halloween was crazy-fun in the Halpert house this year, right!?

We started the day with pumpkin carving and cupcake baking and ended with trick-or-treating around the block. Cece is still into this never ending princess phase, so I decided on a fairy-tale theme. Cece dressed as Rapunzel (irony can be seen here since she chopped off her own hair a few weeks ago) and I dressed as Dr. Cinderella (again). Philip was prince charming and Jim was also supposed to be prince charming, but he decided to abandon his royal regalia. He did wear the cape and the sash for the pictures though. All in all, the kiddos did awesome and we all survived another big, happy, messy Halloween.

In other news, Cece had her first school pictures done this week. Behind her school there’s a field of Texas wildflowers. The field, by the way, is incredible! Jim and I got to be there for Cece’s pictures and our little princess was absolutely giddy in love and couldn't take her eyes off of the flowers. I was almost fainting with elation from knowing the photographer might get the cutest photos ever taken of any child ever in the history of photo taking. But then, the photographer went to the kill shot and pulled out……….a bunny.

The baby bunny was placed on Cece’s lap and she literally couldn't stop giggling and glowing from her whole being as she looked down upon this helpless little creature before her. Some of you might not understand how much Cece loves bunnies, so let me make this abundantly clear. Her little world revolves around three things: princesses, flowers, and bunnies. So this bunny in this field of flowers was the physical manifestation of all that Cece has dreamed of since before her first breath. Jim began to worry that Cece might pass out from Acute Cuddly Cuteness Trauma (trademark is still pending).

Picture this….

The bunny was on her lap, but the flowers caught her eyes. And suddenly she giggled with excitement with the bunny on her lap. Then it is as if the bunny didn’t exist as she smiled helplessly at the flowers. And then, the bunny in her lap caught her eyes again and…. This carousel of bunnies and flowers goes around and around and according to Jim it could still be going on today if he had not pulled the bunny from her lap for fear that she would pass out from Acute Cuddly Cuteness Syndrome.

I’m counting the days until I can get my hands on those pictures. Jim joked about starting a savings account to pay for all the photos I’ll want to buy. Even though we laugh about it, it’s true. I’ll probably buy every single picture. And don’t worry, once I have them I’ll be sending them you way. So if you feel giddy, giggly, and with an intense need to cuddle once you come in contact with these pictures, you might be suffering from Acute Cuddly Cuteness Syndrome.

If the pictures are ready by Thanksgiving, I might be delivering them personally to you! Jim is trying really hard to schedule the trip around his work, but he has been unsuccessful thus far. He is doing everything he can to make the trip possible. As some of you know, Thanksgiving is without a doubt Jim’s favorite holiday. In his words, there no songs stuck in your head, no gift to give or to get, not a whole lot of decorating… just football and family.

The holiday is not even upon us and I’m already mentally making a list of the things that I’m thankful for. For instance, I picked up Cece from school yesterday and she gave me a big hug and said, “Mommy, I missed you.” Right then, I was thankful for her. I was thankful for that sweetness she adds to our lives in a world which is downright bitter at times. Cece is all heart and I’m thankful that I get to be the one to watch her grown into a beautiful little girl.

On that same note, I’m thankful for my son. I don’t know what I expected out of my boy when he was born. I was mom to a little girl made of sugar and spice and I wasn’t sure I was ready to parent someone who was made of slugs and snails and puppy-dogs’ tails. I was scared. But then Philip was born and one look at him and I was in love all over again. He has been laid back (most of the time), happy (much of the time), and funny, goofy, shy, and yes, rough and tumble (All the time).

My list of gratitude wouldn't be completed if I didn't mention Jim. As I sit here, I find it’s really hard to put into words just how thankful I’m for having him in my life. Even before we were together, Jim was someone I was thankful for. He’s the one I can’t wait to talk to after something phenomenal happens at work and the one I want to celebrate with when I get an art commission. I wake up every day and think: This is my best friend. This is the most brilliant person in my life. I wake up and think, I’m the luckiest girl alive.

And that’s what’s happening these days, whether it’s having some Halloween fun, taking first school pictures, or being thankful… Life has been great.

Can’t wait to see ya’ll soon,

Pam



Dedeen is the author of 20 other stories.
more_awake is the author of 7 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 4 members. Members who liked Hello from the Halperts also liked 1202 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans