- Text Size +

Pam sat in her car outside of Poor Richard's and smiled when she spotted the familiar tall figure across the parking lot walking towards the entrance. She pulled out her cell and dialed.

She watch as he stopped and answered his phone. "Hey," he said.

"Hey, I like that shirt, navy is good on you," she said, smirking. Jim swiveled his head trying to find her. "I'm at your 3 o'clock."

He finally saw her and smiled, "You know, we could have said we carpooled in the name of the environment."

"No, you need to go first so you can meet your blind date," Pam said. Yesterday, when everyone was planning this office night out, Andy cornered Jim and asked if he would be Andy's wingman and hang out with the friend of Andy's date. Pam walked by them right then and chimed in that it would be great for Jim since he is totally not seeing anyone.

"I'd like to state for the record that this is your terrible idea," Jim said, starting again for the door.

"This is the price we pay for dating in secret, Big Tuna," Pam replied. "Besides, I trust you."

"How can you trust me when I look this good, though?" Jim said, turning towards her and giving her a nod before hanging up and going inside. Pam giggled and turned off her car, taking her time to gather her things and walk inside.

Everyone from the office was seated at a long table, and Pam sat a couple chairs down from Jim and the 'Blind Date'. Andy had told Jim, who told Pam, her name was Rachel and she was a hair dresser. Once Pam saw Rachel's cascading curls and red bow-shaped lips, Pam started thinking this was indeed a terrible idea. Pam attempted to mingle, but found herself gazing in Jim's direction often, clenching her jaw whenever Rachel laughed at what Jim was saying, which was often.

Waiting at the bar for her second beer, Pam heard a soft "Hey" behind her. She turned and saw Rachel and said hello back.

"I'm Rachel," she said, tossing her curls behind her shoulder before offering her hand.

"Pam, I work at Dunder Mifflin with everyone."

"And you're the girlfriend, right?"

Pam blinked. "What?"

Rachel smirked, "Don't worry, the first moment everyone was out of earshot, Jim told me he had a girlfriend, and he's only here tonight to help out a coworker. He been glancing at you so much that I figured you're the girlfriend, at least I'm hoping so."

It was the first time Pam had heard of Jim referring to her as his 'girlfriend' and she wondered if the dim lighting hid her blushing cheeks at all. "We're trying to avoid being office gossip since we work together."

"Yeah, that's what Jim was saying, and it's cool, I'm really only here to make sure Allison is okay. She showed me that Andy-guy's online dating profile and all I thought was 'potential psycho'."

Pam chuckled. "You're a good friend," she said as the bartender handed her a beer.

"Thanks, and you're an awfully open-minded girlfriend," Rachel replied. "Hey, you should come by my salon, it's called 'A Cut Above', a twenty-percent discount is the least I can offer for borrowing your boyfriend."

Pam thanked her and walked to the far side of the table everyone was at, no longer feeling the need to keep tabs on Jim.

The bar grew so loud Pam almost didn't notice Andy's date Allison leaving Poor Richard's in a rush, Rachel and Jim close behind her. A moment later, Pam felt her phone buzz and saw a text from Jim. Date's over, calling them a cab, distract Andy for 5 mins. Pam obliged and started chatting with Andy, who was under the impression the date went great and Allison only had to leave because she had an early doctor's appointment tomorrow. Pam didn't point out tomorrow was Saturday. After her five minutes with Andy, Pam said her goodbyes to everyone and headed outside. She was a few paces into the parking lot when her phone rang.

"Did your girlfriend get her cab alright?" Pam teased.

"Not sure who you're talking about, my girlfriend is ten feet in front of me," Jim teased back. Pam spun around to see Jim standing just to the side of the door. He closed his phone and slipped it in his pocket, smile on his face.

Pam blushed, this time at actually hearing Jim say the word "girlfriend". Before she knew it, Jim's lips were on hers, his arms pulling her up on her tiptoes.

"Sorry, kinda wanted to do that all evening," Jim said after a moment, his forehead still touching Pam's.

"Me too," Pam said. The door to Poor Richard's slammed behind them, and they both dropped their arms and took a step back, laughing when they saw a pair of middle-aged men who definitely did not work at Dunder Mifflin stumble past them.

Jim gazed across the parking lot, then at his watch, "Well, it's only 10:30 and I'm kinda hungry, walk to Alfredo's?"

Pam nodded, and smiled as Jim took her hand. Pizza with her boyfriend sounded like a great way to top off a Friday night.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans