- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This vignette has a couple reference to the season 4 promo "Office Summer Vacation", which you can watch here

As he turned the door handle to the office, Jim felt the familiar rush of the realization that he was about to see Pam. It had only been 11 hours since he last saw her, kissing her in her doorway as he reluctantly left to go home to his very Pam-less apartment for the evening. The door swung open, and Pam wasn't seated at her desk. She stood facing away from him, running some papers through the shredder. Something was . . . different.

She spun around and smiled widely before restraining herself to a more 'friendly' smile. "Good morning, Jim." Her hair was down, curling softly around her face, and Jim's eyes traveled down to see she wasn't wearing her usual sweater, or a button up shirt. She was wearing something Jim was pretty sure he'd never seen before, something that was short sleeved and pink and clinging to her in all the right places.

Pam's eyes widened and Jim realized he had probably been standing there for an unnatural amount of time. "Good Morning, Pam," he said, cursing his voice for cracking a little on "Pam."

It was definitely the least productive day Jim had had in recent memory, as his eyes kept instinctively returning to Pam and her newly freed curls that he couldn't help but imagine running his fingers through. He was pretty sure she was purposely teasing him, going to the fax machine and photo copier much more than usual, giving him an unfettered view of the new pink shirt and the figure he always suspected she was hiding under those loose cardigans.

When she went into the kitchen for a drink, Jim decided it was a good time to take his break as well, walking in as she was pouring some iced tea for herself.

"Hey, tea?" she asked brightly.

"I'm good," Jim said, leaning back against the counter. Her arm brushed against his as she reached for the sugar, and he smiled to himself. He quickly surveyed both doors into the kitchen and then started to speak low. "So I need to talk to you."

Pam's eyes snapped to his, looking slightly panicked.

"You've gotten a couple complaints today."

The panicked look left Pam's and was replaced by something a little more mischievous. "Oh yeah?"

"Yeah, see, the way you have chosen to dress and wear your hair today is really distracting a certain salesperson."

"And is this the same salesperson who called me hypocritical for not really 'letting my hair down'?" Pam said with a smirk.

"This salesperson is getting use to the hair, but he really wishes he knew in advanced about this," Jim said, slipping his finger under the hem of her shirt and rubbing the silky fabric between his forefinger and thumb. "I mean, what's wrong with cardigans?"

"Oh, Jim, it's too hot to wear a cardigan today," Pam said, her eyes sparkling.

The door opened and Pam quickly grabbed the pitcher of iced tea and turned away. Jim didn't drop his hand fast enough and the pink fabric stretched over his finger before rolling off and clinging back to Pam's hip.

"Hey Kelly," Pam said just a little too enthusiastically, and Jim felt his stomach twist. Did Kelly just see that?

"Oh my God, Pam, let me see," Kelly skipped over to Pam and studied her shirt. "Pink is such a good color on you, don't you think Jim?"

Pam turned to Jim, "Yeah, Jim, what do you think?"

Jim took a step away, and put his hand to his chin as he mock-studied her shirt. "I don't know, it's missing something."

Pam pursed her lips and narrowed her eyes slightly as Kelly continued to examine the shirt. "You're right, Jim. Maybe you need like a big belt over it, to make your torso not look as long."

Jim backed out of the kitchen, mouthed "Have fun" to Pam, and returned to his desk. Kelly would keep Pam in there for at least 10 more minutes, and Jim really needed to get some kind of work done today.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans