- Text Size +

A week after the cameras show up, his loses his biggest account. At first he's angry at his deskmate for poaching the client but he's more disappointed in himself for getting so distracted. He sets the mini-bottle of celebratory champagne on the neighboring desk and heads into the conference room, slumping into a chair towards the back.

He's trying his best to recall his salesmen training from years ago, where they covered things like how many cold calls it takes on average to land a new account, and what percentage of business he could expect to lose whenever a new big box store opens in the area (both numbers were depressingly high). Only now does he wish he hadn't spent his training thinking about other numbers like how many visits to the front desk are acceptable in a day and how often can he make the receptionist laugh.

A moment later, he's surprised by a weight on his shoulder. He leans his head forward to see her eyes closed, a honey-colored tendril of hair falling onto her cheek. He feels the smile spread on his face and slowly closes his eyes.

Be still. He breathes shallowly, taking care to not move a muscle. He flashes to a memory of being five years old and watching bugs fly around at the park, his heart fluttering when a monarch butterfly lands on his little hand, his mother behind him whispering "be still".

Be still.

And now he starts to have memories yet to be made, her resting her head on his shoulder at a concert during a slow romantic song, up in the mountains observing the golds and pinks of a sunset, on a dance floor wearing white with a gold band on her finger that matches his, in a nursery looking down at a newborn with honey colored hair...

He's perfectly content to stay here all evening, but it's after five and he has to wake her, though it's worth it seeing her smile and blush when she realizes where she is and who she's next to. She stands and exits the room and he waits a couple beats before following her. The cameraman grabs him as he's about leave the conference room, asking if he'll sit down and make a brief comment about the day's events.

Today was the day he lost his largest account, it was also the day he first felt the warmth of her cheek, how it spread across his shoulders and through his chest. So really, all-in-all, not a bad day.

Chapter End Notes:
Very much borrowed the butterfly reference from the shooting script (pg. 38) of Diversity Day so credit belongs to BJ Novak for that.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans