- Text Size +

As Jim settles into the reality of a pubic relationship with Pam, his insecurities rise as the bubble shrinks. Previously, his cherished bubble included only himself and Pam with no one else to intrude on their own little world. He had Pam all to himself along with a safe place to figure out his emotions. In Fun Run, things began to change as the bubble shrank to include to the camera crew. Just as Jim began to adjust to the bubble’s new barriers, he feels the bubble pop as the rest of the office learns of his relationship with Pam. The bubble is still intact, but Jim feels exposed and vulnerable. His insecurities concerning his emotions and the reaction of others begin to surface, making him more reliant on Pam to give him reassurance. Jim has lost control of the bubble, which makes him doubly reliant on Pam to show him the “magic” between them isn’t gone. He is still basking in the fantasy of being in a relationship with Pam, and he’s worried about the magic ending.

Putting his private life on display for his co-workers has never been a favorite past time for Jim. He prefers to stay under the radar and out of trouble. Now that everyone knows he’s with Pam, he knows his feelings for her are on display. This is a little terrifying for Jim, considering he has yet to sort through his feelings or reach a higher level of emotional honesty. He’s still holding in many of his deeper emotions until he feels safe enough to release them. He’s holding his heart in his hands protectively, not willing to simply give it away until he knows he can trust Pam completely. The fear of getting hurt is only amplified by the public status of his relationship. In Seasons 1 and 2, he at least had the veil of secrecy and privacy concerning his emotions to hide his pain both from public view and himself. Season 4 is a different story in that if his heart is broken again, everyone will know. The fear paradox has grown to include another element that only complicates Jim’s emotional blocks.

Jim may be battling with his own insecurities, but he’s never been happier. He is finding comfort in simply being himself. The exhaustion of being someone he’s not is gone as he continues to find his way back home. Jim is happy with his decision to return to Scranton and to take a chance with Pam. All he has left to do is work out the logistics. Between finding what makes him happy aside from Pam and re-discovering himself, he has a new relationship to navigate. Jim isn’t quite sure of his role in FNB’s life, but he is learning when to support her and when to back off. It’s a gray area that will only become clearer as communication grows stronger between them. The time-honored traditions of non-verbal communication and humor are once again serving as the foundation for JAM. Developing these lines of communication will lead to stronger and more honest verbal communication. Emotional honesty is still an issue between them as the elation of a new relationship has yet to settle. He has yet to give one of his patented “looks” in Pam’s direction. Those emotions are being capped right now until Jim finds the courage to let himself fully feel them again.

Break Room #1:

Jim walks into the break room to find Pam already bought him a soda. His is pleasantly surprised and again feels the warmth that radiates from her. It’s his favorite thing about Pam. On a side note, it’s so nice to see Jim back in his soda phase, as opposed to bottled water, (see The Merger analysis on the JPS3). Another piece of Old Jim is shining in all it’s glory. Even more symbolic, is Pam giving it to him. She is helped him find his way home and she continues to fulfill that role on multiple levels. Jim heads to the vending machine to get some chips and he asks Pam if she would like some as well. She refuses, but asks if they are still on for lunch. Jim finds her question very cute. It warms him to know she wants to spend time with him and is looking forward to a mundane lunch at work. He decides to tease her with a playful, “I guess.” In their own little language he’s telling her, Of course. He wouldn’t miss it for the world.

Her little smile causes him to grin in return. He’s always loved to make her smile. She turns to leave and he redirects his attention to the vending machine to contemplate a chip decision. However, FNB has other ideas as she surprises him with a kiss on the cheek. Jim spins around in total surprise, but his face is splashed with elation and a big dorky grin. This new Pam is full of surprises and he’s happy to be the victim of her actions. For years, he dreamed of little moments like this and now they are really happening. He can’t resist the urge to flirt in return as he playfully says, “How dare you?” As far as he’s concerned she can give him little kisses all day and he’s daring her to do it again soon. He feels her gracing the edge of the bubble with PDA at work, but the thrill of her touch and the moment overrides his worries. Pam gives him a fetching grin over her shoulder and Jim melts, likely feeling weak in his knees. The euphoria of Pam looking at him like that fills his soul.

The Secret is Out:

Jim reads over a memo Toby sent out to the entire staff regarding PDA in the workplace. He looks over at Pam, who meets him with a matching expression of confusion. Jim sends her a non-verbal cue, “It couldn’t be us.” He’s confident that they’ve kept their secret well hidden and is therefore not worried. Michael enters the picture soon after and, of course, overreacts to Toby’s memo. After a hushed discussion, Toby alerts the staff that the memo is in regards to Jim and Pam. The camera immediately pans over to a stunned Jim. He looks up as he feels the heat of everyone’s eyes on him. The bubble has popped. He fills his cheeks with air, almost hoping to go back in time and to re-inflate the bubble. His mind can only conjure up one word: Crap.

A shocked Michael spins around saying, “No way,” followed by Phyllis putting forth the dreaded query, “You guys are together?” It briefly occurs to him to try and wiggle out of the spotlight, but he realizes he is pinned into a corner with absolutely nowhere to go. Lying isn’t an option due to his pinned status and Jim’s own sense of right and wrong. Reluctantly, he says, “Ummm . . . Yeeeep. Yes we are.” His hesitance is amplified by his gravelly voice. He may have to tell his secret, but he’s not going to shout it at the top of his voice. Letting all these people into his little world with Pam was not on the agenda for today. He can’t feel the bubble anymore, as everyone has crowded in his quiet littler corner of the world where Pam waits for him. While Pam is glowing in response to the exposure, Jim sits quietly at his desk, waiting for the spotlight to dim.

Michael’s antics only make things worse as he insists on bringing both Jim and Pam center stage. Michael asks Jim to stand next to him and Pam, but Jim stays in his chair and rolls over to Michael reluctantly. Michael only makes things worse by giving a little speech, “Today is the day that Jim and Pam become one.” Hoping to tone down Michael’s dramatics, Jim says, “Actually we’ve been dating for a couple months.” Unfortunately, Michael is oblivious and encloses Jim with a big hug. Jim is beyond embarrassed as he tries to fend off Michael’s affection. This kind of attention is the last thing Jim wants in general, much less in regards to his relationship with Pam. He wants his time with Pam to be his, not Michael’s or anyone else’s. Making the relationship public makes Jim feel like his emotions are on public display and that makes him very uncomfortable. 

This is not a new characteristic as Jim has always been a very private person. He is a friendly and affable guy to his co-workers, but he’s also very guarded. His love life and personal emotions rarely come up in conversation, with exception of a couple times with Michael. Furthermore, he hasn’t even sorted through all of his emotions yet. It’s a work of art he has yet to fully unveil to himself or to Pam. This is something he wanted to do in private and now everybody is watching. Much like his resistance to put the relationship out in the open, he isn’t ready for his emotions to be outed. 

This unwanted new element causes Jim to worry about losing the euphoric aspect of the relationship. Now that it’s public, he fears the relationship is going to change. He’s spent the last couple of months floating and now he is being pulled down to reality. He’s lived happily in his fantasy where a relationship with Pam still feels like a dream. He knows his relationship with her is real, but making it public brings all his fears and insecurities to the surface. He can’t find the bubble.

With Toby:

Jim joins Pam in Toby’s cubicle to take the next step in making their relationship public and official. For the first time, Jim takes a small lead in the relationship by asking Toby, “So now that we are dating, uh, we just wanted to know if we had to sign one of those 'we're dating' things for the company.” Taking the lead in this instance shows Jim is beginning to build more confidence in the relationship. However, he’s still reluctant to ask Toby for the paperwork. The discomfort stemming from their secret being revealed is still weighing heavy on Jim. Everything is moving a little too fast for him and he wants to slow down.

This insecurity isn’t stemming so much from the relationship itself, but rather his worry about how other people are perceiving his relationship with Pam. He just isn't ready for the relationship to go public. As mentioned above, making his feelings public is not something Jim is ready to do quite yet. Rather, he would’ve like to sort through everything swirling through his head first and then go public in his own time. Jim’s discomfort may be an issue, but it’s not detracting from his overwhelming sense of happiness that he is with Pam. His tone may have denoted uneasiness, but the rest of him is still euphoric with the knowledge the he and Pam are together. Even as he approaches Toby he is wearing a smile, despite the task at hand. This is what makes Toby’s response to Jim’s request all the more jarring. Instead of accepting the happy couple Toby is hesitant, “Oh well, you know, those were only for, you know relationships, so... if, if this is just a casual thing, there's no need, really.” Jim responds with a confused “Oh.” He wasn’t expecting this and he’s not sure what to say next.

He knows the relationship is more than casual, but he isn’t sure how to define the relationship beyond dating. It’s something he and Pam haven’t discussed in great detail. Both are caught up in living their relationship, rather that verbally defining it. JAM is happily in the honeymoon period where definitions are not contemplated. Obviously, Toby didn’t accept his earlier definition of “dating” and Jim is now looking towards Pam to take the reins. This is her realm and she’s done a fabulous job thus far in a role he can’t yet fulfill. Trusting her with the relationship is the first step to trusting her with his heart. As Pam looks up at him searching for permission to take over he gives her a warm and trusting grin. She picks up on the non-verbal cue immediately, “Well, I don't want to speak for Jim, but, it's like pretty official.” He is surprised, yet happy with Pam’s designation. 

Jim knows Pam is elevating their relationship to an exclusive status officially, rather than having it simply based on assumption and action. His eyebrows rise in both acknowledgement and a silent, Wow. I guess that’s where we are. Pam’s elevated status for the relationship bolsters Jim’s confidence a little bit more. Hearing her say it makes it very real to Jim. His head is spinning with both euphoria and his hidden insecurities. Toby’s hesitance again plays out as he utters, “Uh-huh” in response to Pam’s declaration. Jim is a little thrown by this, but his confidence level is high enough to be able to retake the lead and ask Toby for the paperwork again, “Sorry, uh do we need to sign one, or...?” His voice cracks a little bit because he remains nervous in talking about his relationship with someone outside the now defunct bubble. He doesn’t like the continuing scrutiny and prodding into his private life. Furthermore, Toby’s hesitance is puzzling. Just when Jim has managed to find some confidence, Toby manages to shadow it with further hesitation. 

Instead of handing over the paperwork, Toby resists, “Let's just wait and see what happens. You know?” The moment the words fly out of Toby’s mouth, Jim is overwhelmed with a wave of insecurity. He utters a defensive, “What?” as if saying, Excuse me? Every doubt and fear Jim has is awakened as Toby questions the validity and strength of his relationship. The confidence he had built up basically shut down and Jim is back to the state of needing almost constant reassurance that his heart is safe with Pam. He knows he’s happy with her and he allows his surface emotions to flow freely, but he isn’t sure if he can release his deeper emotions or surrender his heart completely. Toby brought all of that back up to the forefront of Jim's thoughts by insinuating their relationship may not last. 

Toby does his best to save face, knowing full well he let too much slip by shortening his previous statement to a simple, “Let’s just wait.” Jim takes advantage of Toby’s dismissive tone and says, “Oh, okay,” in a noticeably more chipper tone. Jim is happy to be cut loose from the situation, but he walks away bothered and little baffled by Toby’s behavior. His confidence is a little shaken, which will later send him to Pam looking for reassurance.

As mentioned in the PDS4, this scene is dripping in symbolism. In addition to Toby representing the eventual hurdles JAM will have to face, he also personifies Jim’s emotional blocks. While Jim is euphoric in his relationship with Pam, part of him is holding back his deeper emotions. He’s loved Pam for years and paid the ultimate price of a broken heart. Although that love never died, Jim hasn’t been able to allow it to totally surface since CN. That pain of that evening has made Jim leery of giving anyone his heart until he feels safe. Toby’s statement, “Let’s just wait and see what happens” characterizes Jim’s current behavior pattern perfectly. While he’s basking in the joy of being with Pam, his heart is in the waiting room wondering if it’s safe to come out. He’s not sure he can trust Pam won’t hurt him again. Therefore, there is a hesitance to love her with everything he has until Pam gives Jim the reassurances he needs.

Break Room #2 - Lunch:

In the break room, Jim joins Pam for a promised lunch. Still looking to rebuild the bubble, he opts to tell Pam a secret he know she’d want to hear. The subject of Dwight and Angela has been a subject between them before, (E-Mail Surveillance) and is perfect for re-establishing the border of their punctured little world. It’ll just be their secret, just between them. Jim may be working on a relationship with Pam, but he is also rebuilding the friendship he shared with her before he left last year. Jim almost feels the bubble reforming around them as he tells Pam Dwight and Angela have been dating for six months. He even adds the phrase, “Oh my God, this will make your brain explode,” as a way to remind her and himself how well he knows her. He misreads Pam’s smile as disbelief, which in turn brings a wide grin to his face. He wants to make her happy and figures he’s just made her day, “Aww this is great. I was actually going to wait and tell you on your birthday, but this is much more fun.” He is beaming in satisfaction, until Pam corrects him, “No, they have been dating for like two years. Since before your barbeque.” His smile fades into confusion as Pam reveals she is full of secrets herself.

He is shocked Pam not only knows, but knows more than him. He stares at her for a moment completely dumbfounded, “Wait . . . What?” Jim is shocked at Dwangela’s extended history, but his shock is directed at Pam as well. He thought he knew her so well, (which he does), but this girl is full of surprises. There is a lot about FNB he doesn’t know. It’s here that Jim feels the impact of his self-imposed absence last year. There are huge gaps in their relationship that have yet to be filled. Still shocked he says, “You knew. And you didn’t say anything?” He’s almost asking her why she kept it from him, even though deep down he knows why. She fires right back, “You didn’t say anything to me.” Jim immediately knows he is beaten with Pam’s logic, “Fair enough.” He knows the gaps in their relationship are the result of his absence. He didn’t tell her because he was avoiding her and she didn’t tell him because he was avoiding her. Between Stamford and his sky high wall, communication was only on minimal levels, least of all on a topic such as Dwangela. His “fair enough” is his acknowledgment of the communication gap. However, he chooses not to dwell on it. Instead, he focuses on the new lines of communication that are being created. He feels closer to her after both of them revealed a secret.

Even though it was something as ridiculous as Dwangela, they are sharing stories and laughing together. This is the bubble Jim needs and he is slowly finding it again. He can’t help but smile and glow again as he says, “Wow. We should have started dating a long time ago.” Jim knows he should have come back a long time ago. It could’ve been this good long before just a couple of months ago. What’s more, he’s known they should’ve been together all along. As Pam smiles he is comforted by her agreement. His observation has a warm tone, but he’s also showing his sense of humor. He’s poking fun at the past as away to overcome it.

Mistakes were made on both sides, but now is what matters. There is much to learn about himself and Pam and he’s going to do it with a smile whenever possible. Building trust and communication has to be the number one priority for JAM. The past is a painful place for Jim and he’s doing his best to put it behind him in order to get over his emotional blocks. It’s a slow process, but it’s encouraging to see him make strides in the right direction.

Before Jim and Pam can discuss Dwight and Angela any further, Phyllis makes her way into the break room. She apologizes for interrupting them and Jim tells her, “Oh no, we're just sitting here,” in a friendly and welcoming tone. “I didn’t see your hands.” Jim is both horrified and amused. He can’t believe sweet Phyllis would say such a thing! However, he can find the humor as he looks at the camera and slightly waves his hands in plain view. Phyllis goes onto to tell Pam that all sales calls have to be randomly assigned, “You can't base who gets new clients on who you're sleeping with that week, OK?” Jim’s wide eyes are paired with an embarrassed and stunned expression. To think that anyone would think that he or Pam was capable of such of thing is beyond his comprehension. The word, “Wow.” is likely playing over and over in his mind.

All he can do is smile a bewildered smile as Pam handles Phyllis with FNB style and grace. He doesn’t say a word and simply lets Pam handle herself. This is a role he’s learning as FNB takes care of herself with more frequency. Besides, he is at a complete loss on what to say to Phyllis. He echoes Pam’s response of “Okay,” with nervous fidgets and a still shocked expression. Phyllis may have apologized for interrupting their lunch, but Jim can’t let go of the discomfort emanating from her intrusion on their overall privacy. She touched upon a very personal subject and Jim isn’t ready or willing to entertain discussion on that part of their relationship in public. The bubble may have been partially recreated, but it’s clearly not offering the protection Jim needs at this point.

Talking Head #1:

Jim solidifies his need for a bubble as he states, “And, that is why we waited so long to tell people,” with his trademark annoyed sarcasm. Jim is still recovering from Phyllis’s invasion into the bubble. The word “we” might as well be replaced with “I.” He’s the one that wanted to keep it a secret. Jim has been the lead in the bubble department up to this point and he’s still trying to re-inflate the shrinking bubble. He wants his time with Pam to be free from people passing judgment on her (especially her) and himself. Being the subject of office gossip and prying eyes is not something Jim wants to deal as he tries to build a relationship with Pam. The euphoria Pam is feeling from the relationship going public is not felt by Jim.

His insecurities are again bubbling to the surface as he is not ready to have his emotions out in the open. His euphoria is rooted more so in the magic of the bubble rather than the relationship. This isn’t to say Jim isn’t ecstatic for the relationship. He is beyond thrilled. However, he is very reliant on the bubble to keep the relationship special, exciting and of course private. He can’t see where the real excitement and magic is hiding until Pam shows him.

Conference Room - Ageism:

An appearance by Robert Dunder at Michael’s ageism seminar, gives Jim another reason to question Michael’s sanity. After practically shoving the elderly man out of conference room, Michael leaves him standing in the outer office alone and with no ride home. Jim is appalled with Michael’s actions and readily jumps to support Pam as she says, “I think that I should help him get home.” After Michael refuses her request, Jim nudges Pam and urges her non-verbally with a nod to go and help Mr. Dunder. In this instance, Jim is certain Pam needs him to support her. This is a good sign that Jim is beginning to read Pam with more accuracy and assess his role in her life. He’s letting her know he’ll handle Michael while she’s off doing the right thing. Pam’s compassion and warm heart is a big reason why he loves her. He’s going to do everything he can to allow Pam to be herself, despite Michael’s stupidity. Besides, it’s the morally correct course of action. Jim and Pam are of like mind when it comes to other people. Both are willing to take care of others. Even though they are directing their attention to Mr. Dunder, they are again a team in looking after Michael. In this instance, they are a team in fixing Michael’s mistakes. He’s an idiot, but they do care about him.

Magic:

After feeling the weight of revealed secrets, invaded privacy, and heightened insecurity, Jim is desperate to find the bubble he needs. He knows Pam is the only one that can show him the way. Jim wanders over to Pam’s desk and goes for his favorite excuse to talk to Pam: jellybeans, (let me just say I squealed the second I heard the candy dish rattle -- Our Jim is coming back piece by piece). With communication lines still on the mend, Jim approaches Pam with humor. It’s the only way he knows to deal with difficult situations and his emotions at this point. Humor is a special language he shares with Pam that allows him to communicate with a safety net. Emotional honesty is veiled, but not totally blocked.

After popping a jellybean in his mouth he pretends to walk away, but quickly does an about face to ask her a serious question masked in playful banter, “Alright I just have to ask now that we're public, um, is the magic gone?” He is dead serious in his concerns, but he’s careful to keep his tone light and slightly sarcastic. He knows Pam will understand his message and his very real need for reassurance. When his words are decoded, he is simply asking her, Are we okay? He doesn’t feel the bubble, which is making him feel very vulnerable in both the relationship and with his emotions. He wants the bubble back where they are alone. As mentioned before, Jim felt the magic in the bubble and he needs Pam to show him where it’s hiding.

As he hoped, Pam understood everything he didn’t say. She responded in his language loud and clear, “It's funny you bring that up because yes it is.” Her playful and sarcastic tone retains a warmth that speaks right to Jim’s heart. In just a few words, she showed him the bubble never really went away. Humor and sarcasm is their language and is just between them. Her warm and loving expression adds non-verbal communication to the pile of reasons why Jim has nothing to worry about. And just like that he feels the security of the bubble encapsulating them at her desk. He needed the reminder that they’ve always had their own little world, complete with a native language. No matter how many times their co-workers pry or hurdles cloud their path, they will always have each other.

Jim feels a surge of new confidence and decides to continue the joke with her, “I knew it. Oh man, just like that huh?” He likes the feeling of the restored bubble and he just can’t resist staying there a little longer. She is more than happy to play along, “I think... I mean, I don't know what it is but…” She is playing her part perfectly and Jim is eating it up. Her feigned disinterest tells him her focus in entirely on him. He keeps the game going by telling her, “Be honest.” This is a nice bit of foreshadowing (hopefully) in that emotional honesty is on it’s way as an issue for JAM to address. Right now they are sideswiping the issue as they explore their relationship, but deeper emotions are on the horizon. Humorous communication is the stepping stone that leads to deeper communication, (the communication pattern in Season 2 is proof enough of this concept!).

Pam responds with pitch perfect comedic timing, “I now find you repulsive.” Pam’s playful and sparkling eyes leave Jim totally enamored. However, he won’t break the joke, “That's honest. All right, fair enough.” He knows Pam means the opposite and finds load of reassurance that she only has eyes for him. She’s not going anywhere. He turns to walk away again, but doesn’t get very far. He wants to play a little bit more and get one more little shot of reassurance, “It was really fun while it lasted though, wasn't it?” Jim is acknowledging that keeping the relationship a secret was fun and exciting, but he realizes that part of their relationship is over. He needs Pam to show him where the new excitement is hiding. In keeping with humor as the main communicator, Pam gives a flippant, “Ehhhh.” This is her way of telling him the best is yet to come. This is music to Jim’s ears as he responds with another shot of sarcasm, “For me, it was.” With Pam’s reassurance, Jim is letting Pam know he understands the real magic isn’t in the secret or the bubble itself. It’s in the relationship. She gives a playful, “Okay,” in response, causing him to step back and head to his desk with a glowing smile. 

Pam told him everything he needed to hear. She gave him confidence in the relationship, which helps to build trust between them. Jim walked away from Pam knowing the relationship has left the dream stage and entered into a much more realistic phase that Jim can embrace with less fear. It’s more exciting than the secret could have ever offered. He is getting closer to Pam and is even beginning to trust her. It’s quite a rush.

Kitchen - Awesome Lessons:

Jim sits quietly at the kitchen table reading his newspaper as Ryan brags about his New York adventures to Kevin and Andy. Jim looks up from his newspaper just long enough to lose interest. He’s not impressed with Ryan or his adventures in New York. Ryan’s arrogance and condescending persona bothers Jim to the core. He doesn’t like how Ryan throws his new lifestyle around to impress others. After Ryan takes his leave, Kevin asks, “How awesome is Ryan now?” Jim couldn’t disagree more, but he bites his tongue the best he can, “Yeah, he's definitely something.” He’s not impressed with the new Ryan, but is careful about he talks about him. He is the boss after all. Kevin catches on immediately and calls Jim on his sarcasm, “What’s that supposed to mean.”

Jim is careful about giving opinion, “That whole lifestyle, his whole vibe, you find that appealing?” Jim knows what he’s talking about. He stood at the threshold of Ryan’s lifestyle just a few months ago. He found out it wasn’t for him, instead finding his place back in Scranton. Jim simply doesn’t get the fascination with New York. He tried it and even liked it a little bit, but he was smart enough to realize it wasn’t for him. As Andy and Kevin chastise Jim for not finding Ryan “awesome,” he can’t help but steal a few glances at the camera. Andy and Kevin’s fascination with Ryan makes no sense to him at all. All the reasons they give mean nothing to Jim. It’s all so ridiculous. As the Ryan worshipers leave, Jim is beyond confident in his decision to come home. The decision he made the day of his interview in The Job was the best decision he ever made.

Ryan’s Opportunity:

Jim overhears Ryan offer Pam and opportunity to design a logo for the Dunder Mifflin Infinity website. He stops working and looks over to her desk as Ryan discusses what he needs (look closely for the reflection in the glass of Michael’s office -- his head moves) Pam to create. As the camera pans over to his face, he is so excited for Pam. He sends her a huge non-vebal congratulations. He is just so happy for her. He’s always believed in her abilities and loves seeing her get an opportunity to chase her dream. He initiates an air high five as another way to show his support and offer more congratulations. His face is beaming with pride, “Way to go Beesly.”

Ryan Asks Pam Out:

Jim gets another earful as he listens to Ryan’s praise of Pam’s artwork shift to an ulterior motive of asking her out on a date. Jim is irritated to say the least. Not so much at the fact that Ryan is asking Pam out, but that he used her artistic endeavors as a means to get to her. Jim sits silently at his desk, knowing full well that Pam can take care of herself in this situation. Furthermore, Ryan is the boss and there isn’t much action he can take without crossing a very fine line. Aside from that, he has enough confidence and faith in her as a result of the “magic” scene. He’s not jealous or worried. Ryan’s slimy pickup doesn’t concern him nearly as much as it amuses and annoys him. He knows Pam is going to shoot Ryan down and he’s just waiting for the moment. Ryan’s arrogance needs to knocked down a few notches and FNB is the girl to do it.

Pam lets Ryan down easy, but it doesn’t take away from Jim’s satisfaction. The camera pans over as Jim grins impishly and gives a small wave in Ryan’s direction without even looking up. He is brimming with reassurance in his own relationship (it felt good to hear Pam say it again), along with the added bonus of gratification from contributing to Ryan’s humiliation. The little twerp had it coming, (no offense to Ryan lovers - but he really irked me in this scene!). As Ryan walks past, Jim's eyes grow as big as saucers. He can’t believe what just happened. One word comes to mind: Awk-ward.

Talking Head #2:

Jim’s confidence plays all over his face during his last talking head. He is still filled with satisfaction at Ryan’s failed attempt to ask Pam out, “I guess he can't get any girl he wants.” Jim’s eyes twinkle as he smiles to himself. Ryan’s arrogance and fast paced lifestyle can’t get him everything. Jim knows he has the biggest prize of all with Pam. He’s been to he11 and back and knows how lucky he is to be with her. The euphoria has returned as Jim clings confidently to the relationship he has with Pam. He is with Pam. That’s right, he is with Pam. The bubble she recreated with a side of reassurance has given Jim temporary reprieve from some of his insecurities. They are bound to return, but Pam has given him a safe place to alone with her while he sorts through the mess of his emotions and fears.

The Bottom Line:

Jim is confident in Pam and the relationship, but it's all very fragile. Emotional blocks, trust issues, and fear will continue to hold him back. Total emotional honesty has yet to make an appearance as Jim will only release “crush” like emotions for Pam. His deeper love remains hidden until his heart feels safe. I’m holding my breath until I see one of Jim’s famous “looks” directed at Pam. Once his deeper emotions start playing across his face, we’ll know the blocks are beginning to crumble.

Questions to Ponder:

1) Does Jim realize his reliance on Pam? How does his awareness or lack thereof impact JAM?

2) Are Jim’s emotional blocks voluntary or involuntary? Is he aware they are in place?

3) What is JAM’s greatest strength thus far? Weakness?

Chapter End Notes:

Commonly Used Acronyms: PD = Pam Dichotomy, JP = Jim Paradox, CN = Casino Night, FNB = Fancy New Beesly, QTP = Questions to Ponder

This post was written nine years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I’ve decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation.  Call it nostalgia if you will, but there’s something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans