- Text Size +

While Michael struggles to find self-awareness “deep” in the Pennsylvania wilderness, Jim finds himself in a similar environment within the confines of Dunder Mifflin. Both men parallel each other as they navigate the rapids of self-awareness and swim in their own errors. Although Jim’s jaunt into the wilderness is devoid of trees, duct tape, and dirt, he still finds himself surrounded by wild animals who are willing to eat him alive if he doesn’t grant their birthday wishes. Amidst the frustration and exhaustion that characterizes Jim’s day as boss, he walks away with a new sense of self. For once, his day wasn’t boring and didn’t require his own brand of entertainment.

A work ethic does exist when Jim feels he has a purpose. Selling paper all day doesn’t give Jim a sense of purpose, however keeping the office running smoothly gives him a reason to care. Jim has a hard time choosing a direction when he is left to his own devices, however when a direction is thrust upon him he usually rises to the challenge. Jim often needs a catalyst to propel him to explore beyond his usual boundaries. Michael’s decision to put Jim in charge of the office for the day gave Jim a unique experience that allowed him to see himself in a different light. It all ties into to Jim’s need for validation. His need to be needed doesn’t just apply to Pam. Essentially, Jim learned he liked being in a position of leadership to a certain degree. He saw something in himself he never really acknowledged before and it built up his confidence. He liked having people depend on him, even though he could’ve done without his co-workers’ petty behavior.

Although, Jim was more than happy to hand the reins back over to Michael, he learned enough about himself to realize he has a couple directions in which to choose. Whereas before, Jim wandered aimlessly trying to figure out just where he fit into his own life, he is now starting to see his options really aren’t that complicated. It all comes down to two choices: He can either accept his life’s current course or he can pursue another avenue. Acceptance of this choice is the real change that Jim needs to make. He has already come full circle in terms of finding his way home in realizing he can’t be something he’s not, (see JPS3 for the rundown). His happiness has already been found in the arms of Pam, however, total contentment lies in accepting his life as it stands or as it could be. He doesn’t have the answer yet, but Jim’s picture of himself 10 years from now is starting to come into focus.

Hypothetical Game/TH #1:

Jim is stuck in Michael’s office playing yet another round of Michael’s hypothetical game. As per Jim’s talking head, this is a game they often play. Michaels asks Jim if he’d be willing to go camping with him under a hypothetical guise, to which Jim replies “Absolutely. Yes.” In an overlapping talking head, Jim explains he always says yes to Michael’s hypothetical situations because he is always busy. He says it with a smile on his face, seeing as it’s like a little game for him. In this instance, he informs Michael he can’t go camping because he has to give blood. Michael is skeptical, indicating Jim has used this excuse more than once before.

For once Michael is on top of things and asks, “How often can you actually donate blood?” Jim realizes he is caught, but does his best to wiggle out of the situation, “Is there a limit?” He looks at the camera as he speaks, acknowledging the corner he’s just back himself into. Michael pins him further, “Your body only has a certain amount.” Jim takes this opportunity to remove himself from the situation with classic redirection, “Well, is that it or . . .” as he tries to get up and leave. Michael, however, has other ideas and starts talking more about the idea of camping. He starts off by explaining how camping can be interpreted as gay with “a bunch of guys in tents, making sm’ores.” Jim is thoroughly amused watching Michael’s ignorance and insecurities play out before him.

He can’t help but smile and watch in wonderment as Michael uses just about every inappropriate euphemism for homosexuality. Michael goes on to explain that camping should only be one person out in the wilderness, but corrects himself and adds, “or two guys if your plans change.” Jim doesn’t miss a beat and responds, “Not going to change.” This segment of the conversation is symbolic of Jim’s current state of mind. Jim’s refusal to go camping is somewhat representative of his subconscious refusal to reach out and explore beyond the confines of the norm. He’s maintained a job he hates for years, for the simple fact that he is content to a certain degree. Jim’s laid back stance on life in general prevents him from breaking through his own rut, despite his disdain for the boredom his job entails.

The reluctance to “change plans” is also rooted in Jim’s patented fear paradox. Jim is a creature of habit and to a certain extent he fears change and the unknown. Even the concept of a hypothetical has ties to Jim’s fears. In Phyllis’s Wedding, Jim toyed with the hypothetical notion that Pam might have feelings for him, but his fears if getting hurt held him back from exploring the possibilities. Remaining in the lagoon instead of heading out to open waters is not a new tactic. Jim has long been complacent in simplicity and the norm, despite sometimes fending off boredom. It generally doesn’t take much to make him happy. That being said, he has come to a point in his life where the bare minimum is no longer sufficient.

Now that he has Pam, he has found there is more to life than just waking up every morning and longing for the love of his life. He now has begun to question his own self worth and just what he can offer Pam. Part of him wonders if he is good enough for Pam, but he is also afraid to find out the answer. In some respects, maintaining the status quo allows him to avoid the question. What he needs is a good kick in the pants to force him to see outside his own borders.

The symbolism continues as Michael explains his reasoning for wanting to escape to the wilderness, “I want to do it myself, you know. I want to go and . . and find out something about myself. I want to get out of here. All the cliques, and the office politics, fluorescent lights, and the asbestos.” Jim essentially found himself when he returned home, however he failed to find just where he fits into his old life. The pieces just don’t fit anymore as so much has changed in terms of his relationship with Pam and himself. The result is a reduced sense of self. 

Even though he dropped the façade of New Jim, he still isn’t the same man he was before Casino Night. It‘s this adjustment that is throwing Jim for a loop and creating a sense of being lost. Remaining in the confines of Dunder Mifflin has created somewhat of a safety net. Jim has always given the impression of wanting to leave Dunder Mifflin for all the reasons Michael listed, with the addition of boredom, but he lacks a strong sense of self to actually explore anything beyond his current employment. It’s safe and in some respects it provides him with a way to define himself.

Jim doesn’t necessarily lack total self-awareness, but he does have a gap when it comes to stretching his boundaries. He doesn’t typically test himself or reach beyond what he knows. Jim responds to Michael’s statements with a knowing yet sarcastic affirmative nods and vocalizations. He knows he wants to get “out of here” as well, but he won’t for fear of what he might find. He’d rather face asbestos than the unknown. Little does he know, his safe haven has plenty of challenges and unknowns waiting to open his eyes and provide the impetus for self-discovery.

Jim is in Charge:

Before Michael sets off on his adventure into the wilderness, he ensures Jim embarks on his own journey of discovery. As Michael’s number two, Jim is put in charge of the office until Michael returns. Beforehand, Jim actually expresses concern over Michael’s decision to isolate himself in the wilderness, which is beautifully symbolic of Jim’s own fears. While Michael is willing to go out into the wilderness, Jim is not. Self-discovery with a “survive or die” mentality is not Jim’s cup of tea. He prefers a safety net to catch him if he falls.

Michael is essentially Jim’s catalyst to overcome his fears and try something different. For the first time Jim is taking control the office and eventually his life without the stifling shield of the façade he created last season. Jim accepts his role as leader without hesitation, thinking it’s not a big deal. Aside from that, he is simply too amused with Michael’s behavior. Jim’s humor concerning Michael’s antics is part of what makes him view his newly acquired responsibility so lightly. He doesn’t think Michael’s job is that hard. Michael is an idiot, so clearly the job can’t be that demanding.

Before Michael takes his leave he tells Jim “Do not follow me,” to reiterate his intent to survive in the wilderness on his own (although it’s likely another plea for Jim to join him!). Jim still won’t take the bait and flatly says, “Okay, great.” Camping with Michael sounds like nothing short of a nightmare as does a more figurative interpretation of Michael’s statement. Jim has no intention of following in Michael’s footsteps in any feasible way. Whether it’s into the woods or a regional manager’s office, Jim still clings to the belief that he will throw himself in front of a train before his career is tied to Dunder Mifflin.

The irony of it all is that Jim is actually good at his job and has leadership qualities. He has exhibited strong leadership qualities previously in The Fire (parking lot games), Office Olympics (game organizer), Back From Vacation (sales meeting) and pranks in general. He knows how to run a show if given the opportunity. He just won’t allow himself to see he could actually be happy at Dunder Mifflin. To a certain extent Jim always believed this job would be temporary, but his perpetual contentment (and fears) always prevented him from exploring anything further. He’s used humor and sarcasm towards his job as a way of shielding the reality that he may never leave. This really could be his life, but his own paradox refuses to allow him to see it isn’t the end of the world. Part of him doesn’t want to believe Dunder Mifflin is his life, while the rest of him can’t imagine his life without the mid-size paper company. Thus, his current status of feeling lost and insecure. He’s not sure what path to follow and he spins relentlessly in a million different directions. Up to this point, he has yet to realize he really only has two directions from which to choose: stay or leave.

Michael’s speech isn’t quite over as he reiterates the solitary nature of his quest, “This is a very personal, private experience in the wild, that I wish to share it with me, myself and I.” The same is true of Jim’s personal quest. No one can help him find his direction, nor the path to his own happiness. It’s something he must do on his own. There may be guiding lights from Pam and catalysts that point him in the right direction, but ultimately he must find his own path . No amount of duct tape or a knife will help as Jim needs to smash through his fears and continual sense of contentment.

It can be argued that Jim is sometimes content to a fault. Very often he lets the bare minimum satisfy him as means to avoid his fears of the unknown. He’ll never get anywhere unless he starts exploring. Michael ends his little speech by saying, “When I return, I hope to be a completely changed human being.” Jim’s humor continues to dominate his perception of Michael. He again uses his flat, yet slightly sarcastic to respond, “That’d be great.” He may be mocking Michael, but Jim will soon find his adventure has just begun and it will change his perception of himself and his life.

Revolutionizing the Birthday Party/TH #2:

It appears to be just another day until Angela comes up to Jim’s desk requesting a cake for Creed’s birthday party. Jim is already noticeably put off by the prospect of another office birthday party as he responds, “Oh, wasn't it just someone's birthday?” Angela is quick to point out that it’s birthday month and Jim’s expression of disenchantment only deepens. He may be able to put up with the boredom of his job, but another lame birthday party is something he can do without. Jim often looks for ways to avoid work, but clearly co-worker birthday celebrations are not one of his tactics.

His subsequent talking head confirms his disdain and annoyance with Michael’s birthday party tactics. He easily lists all the faults in the tradition of a Dunder Mifflin birthday party, “Michael gets a cake and balloons, and some sort of joke gift and makes a toast. There are two types of toasts. One is a joke about how old you are. . .And the other is something inappropriate. Or horrible. Or both. What else? He only sings the high harmony to ‘Happy Birthday.’ And he's a very big believer in surprise parties. Maybe even, arguably, possibly to a fault.” Jim’s voice is laced with his usual brand of sarcasm as he lists each complaint. He even emphasizes the fact that he must endure all of this thirteen times a year.

In an interesting twist, Jim’s annoyance actually serves as a catalyst to use his position as manager to makes some changes. He’s tired of Michael’s birthday tactics and decides he can do a better job. Jim is able to take this leap, because he doesn’t consider this work related. It’s something that can be fun, and he has experience in being successful when it comes to leading fun. As Angela describes Michael’s usual plans for using red and white streamer, Jim interrupts, “You know what, I have an idea. Why don't we just do one big shared party?” This makes so much more sense to him and it might actually be fun. However, Angela sees things quite differently as she angrily protests, “What?!” Jim tries to rationalize his idea by explaining further, “We can just have one big fun party. Everybody's happy, nobody wastes their time.” Jim truly believes in the logic of his idea from the standpoint of fun but also in terms of saving time. 

It seems odd that Jim would care about productivity, but he is in a position of authority and decides to use the rhetoric of saving time to further his idea. The idea of productivity is even reinforced in his talking head. Jim’s tone is actually very boss-like, which shows he has the potential to lead hiding inside his usual laid back exterior. He’s even falling into the classic new boss trap of believing he can make everyone happy (a phase in which Michael has never broken free).

Jim’s adventure into his very own wilderness has officially begun. He has no idea that his decision to change the status quo is going to give him new insight into himself and his life. Jim’s explanation for the one party plan immediately falls on deaf ears as Angela states in a huff, “I don’t like it,” before she turns and walks away leaving a trail of scorn behind her. Jim is a little dazed by Angela’s response as it was totally unexpected. He can’t even begin to understand why his idea was rejected by Angela, which makes him all the more determined. In some cases, Jim simply can’t resist the challenge.

Pam’s Support:

Angela’s scorn is quickly replaced by Pam’s friendly face as she walks up to Jim’s desk. He looks up at her as she playfully taps his desk while asking, “Wow, you’re shaking things up a bit, huh?” After Angela’s rejection, Jim desperately needs Pam’s support and validation, but he can tell by her tone that she is also not a fan of his birthday revolution. However, he easily picks up on her humor and playful nature. In some respects he can still read Pam like a book. He knows when she’s prodding him into some playful banter. She is challenging him in a fun way and that further sparks his determination. In contrast to Angela’s response, Jim feels encouraged and supported, despite Pam’s obvious misgiving’s to his plan. Jim opts to try and convince her otherwise by insisting, “It’s a pretty good idea, don’t you think?” It’s his little way of ensuring she is supporting him, as he needs to know she’s in his corner even if she disagrees.

On another level, he’s also shooting back a silent argument. In classic example of subtext he is challenging her further, that he is right and she is wrong in a very lighthearted way. His eyes twinkle at her as he can’t help but be sucked in by the game she is playing. Pam fires right back with a continual playful and slightly sarcastic tone, “Do you think it’s a good idea?” He can almost hear her saying, Prove it, along with an invisible wink. Her sarcasm is not lost on him and it urges him to strike back with equal fervor. Refusing to lose face, he chuckles inside. He is just eating up her humor filled argument. He looks down and his desk and feigns an expression of defeat, although a slight grin remains on his face. He speaks in a raspy and depressing voice, “No. . .” before he looks up with a devilish grin. He responds with his own challenge, “I think it’s a great idea,” by looking her straight in the eye with a playful yet resolute face. Hiding in his smile is a silent, You’re on , that only Pam will understand. He’s not about to give in and suddenly the prospect of change has become even more fun. 

There’s a little bit of ego involved, but Jim’s primary focus in this situation is connecting to Pam. The art of nonverbal communication is at it’s finest as Jim and Pam speak to each other beyond simply words. It is the cornerstone of their communication network and it continues to grow. Both are reading each other with more accuracy as humor based communication combines with nonverbal. Above all else, they understand each other’s humor, which will lead to a more accurate read on deeper levels. Jim understands that Pam is goading him into an argument of playful banter, but he also sees that it is a means of support. He needs that validation and it gives him a surge of confidence. He sees Pam’s eyes gleam with humor and a feisty flare as she utters a lighthearted, “Hmmmm. . .” He fell in love with her just a little bit more as she walked away. Out of everything in his life, she remains the one thing that makes sense. 

Pam’s challenge showcases her humor, which Jim find irresistible, but it also provides the encouragement and motivation he needs to keep pushing for his one party plane. Part of him wants to be the first to deliver a playful, I told you so, while the more rational side of him truly wants to change the irritating nature of multiple office birthday parties. Having Pam on his side despite her difference of opinion means everything to him and gives him confidence.

With Oscar:

Jim heads over to Oscar’s desk to discuss an issue with an invoice, but decides to mention his recently issued memo concerning the birthday party plan. Jim’s transformation into management has reached a new level with the circulation of a memo. Paper salesman Jim would never resort to a memo to communicate with his co-workers. This is truly the work of a manager, which is all the more proof that Jim is taking his responsibility seriously. He has leadership skills and the goal of a unified birthday party is giving him a chance to utilize those skills in a real situation, rather than games and pranks. He finds the courage to ask, “Oh, did you see my memo by the way?” His voice is soft spoken as he is a little unsure and shy about is new role.

Part of the reason for his inquiry, may be a result of little or no response to his memo. However, his determination is enough to keep him steady. Jim watches as Oscar reads the words of his memo aloud, “‘Let's be honest, as fun as birthdays are we could all use a break from the constant cake, so let's celebrate birthday month in style today.’” Jim is practically reciting his own words in his head as Oscar reads. The plan continues to make sense to him and his befuddlement on why he is fighting an uphill battle continues. His hand gesture resonates his internal thought, “This makes sense! Why doesn’t anyone else get it?” He can sense Oscars hesitation as he says, ‘This is really . . .cool” Jim is undeterred, but still a little gun-shy as he responds, “Right? I was just thinking . . .” He’s again fishing for support and reassurance, but the situation has progressed into an awkward encounter. Jim’s behavior continues to morph into Michael as he desperately seeks approval. 

Oscar interrupts Jim’s attempts to garner support and gives a more convincing positive response to Jim’s idea, “No, totally, totally. This way we get it all out of the way at once and it could actually be fun.” Jim can likely sense Oscar’s doubts, but his overwhelming need for his idea to be accepted greatly impedes his logic at this point. He’ll take what he can get and run with it. Jim exclaims a desperate yet victorious, “Right! Exactly, “ to both the camera and Oscar. In another slip into Michaels’s mode of operation, Jim created his own validation. 

On the surface this is truly frightening, but in terms of Jim level of personal growth it is monumental. For once he is relying on himself to provide validation. In an odd evolution on the his paradox, his innate need for acceptance caused him to finally look for it within himself. He pats Oscar on the back and tells him, “Knew I could count on you.” At this point it didn’t matter if Oscar agreed or not, Jim was going to push through with his communal birthday plan. Furthermore, the challenge of proving his idea is right is enough to keep him going strong.

Break Room #1 - Meredith & Pam:

Jim is at the soda machine when Meredith comes up him and asks, “Hey Jim, can I have my own cake?” Jim is a little thrown by Meredith‘s request so he asks, “What’s that?” The wild animals in Jim’s “wilderness” are beginning to smell fresh meat. Meredith lets reiterates she prefers devil’s food cake and Jim looks at her with his usual easy going face and tells her, “Oh, sure.” It seems like a reasonable request to him and sees no issue in giving Meredith what she wants. If it’s this easy to make people happy, this job is as easy as he thinks. Meredith walks away exclaiming, “Yes!” with a smile. Jim is satisfied with his dealings and says “Okay,” believing the problem is solved and all is well. Accommodating Meredith is simply part of the plan to make everyone happy which at this point seems so easy considering the ease of Meredith’s request and Jim’s built self validation.

Jim takes a seat next to Pam with two sodas, one for her and one for himself (same as on the PD . . . Awwwwww!). His need to take of her and be a gentleman is still firmly entrenched in his persona. Pam witnessed Jim’s interaction with Meredith and can’t resist the urge to continue their friendly little argument, “Wow, that was easy.” Jim immediately picks up on her humor infused tone as well as the encouragement it encompasses. He can sense her warning of impending doom, but he plays right back with some sarcasm of his own, “Yeah, people like me I guess.” It’s his way of again telling Pam, Just wait, you’ll see

On another level, Jim statement is very symbolic of his current confidence levels, as they are rising. Jim siphons much of his confidence from how people perceive him. He is generally liked by those around him and it’s something in which he takes a certain amount of pride. He may be able to create an internal sense of validation, but he still has a soft spot for needing people to like him. It’s not so much a Jim trait as it is basic human nature. In this sense, he isn’t much different than Michael, which lends to the concept that they are mirroring each other. Jim is starting to feel the motivation behind Michael’s inherent need to be “World’s Best Boss” and why it’s so important for him to be liked by his employees.

With Creed:

Jim’s perception on the ease of his leadership role is about be tested. The placid existence of a quiet break with Pam is shattered as Creed taps loudly on the glass of the break room and calls Jim’s name. Another animal is set to gnaw on Jim’s inexperience. Jim meets up with Creed outside the break room, but the atmosphere quickly turns into a back alley negotiation. Creeds whispers under his breath with an almost evil, yet juvenile undertone, “I hate devil’s food.” Jim’s arms are folded in an almost protective manner as he fends off Creed’s little tantrum. He tries to diffuse the situation, “Well, I think Meredith was just . . .” but it falls on deaf ears. Creed interrupts him with even more aggravation, “Screw Meredith, I don't think it's fair to let someone else pick the cake on my birthday.” Jim’s frustration begins to crack the surface as he almost mumbles, “Everybody’s birthday.” He can’t get over the ridiculousness of Creed’s behavior nor can he ignore the attack on his communal birthday plans.

Jim attempts to reassert himself only antagonizes Creed further, “Today is actually my birthday and I want to pick the cake.” However, instead of anger, Creed is on the verge of whining. Jim finds himself essentially dealing with a child, which is immensely frustrating. He finds he has no choice but to give in and appease Creed, albeit against his better judgment. He still wants to make everyone happy, but he is coming to the realization that this is a lot harder than he anticipated. Creed’s demeanor freaks Jim out a little bit and the best way he knows to handle it, is with a little bit of humor. He mimics Creed’s earlier tone and asks, “What do you want?” The tactic is perfect as Creed falls right into step by asking for peach pie. Jim assures him he will get his peach pie, despite his personal reservations about a birthday pie in place of a cake. He explains he’ll talk to Angela about getting a pie as if he’s about to pull some strings with a high-ranking government official. 

This all seems ludicrous to Jim, but he plays along in the name of appeasement. Creed walks away somewhat satisfied with the “deal” in place, while Jim stares dumbfounded into open space. His brain is literally trying to wrap around the lunacy that has just taken place. The challenge of his birthday party plan has extended beyond Pam. The difficulties of working with so many different personalities and petty behavior is starting make itself known and Jim is befuddled on how to handle it. He’s beginning to question the validity of his idea, but his own determination to carry it through keeps him in the game.

With Andy:

Jim is busy working at his desk when an unwelcome visitor rolls over and situates himself right next to Jim. Another one of the “wilderness” creature has found him. Andy has more than invaded Jim’s personal space with his presence which sets off Jim’s level of annoyance even further. After dealing with the weirdness that is Creed, Andy is the last person Jim wants to deal with at this moment. Andy wastes no time putting in his preference for ice cream cake, namely Fudgey the Whale.

Jim has finally come to the realization that he’s going to have to say “no” at some point when it comes to special requests. Andy is going to be his first victim. He avoids eye contact, and tells him, “Not your birthday.” He doesn’t like having to say no, but he will to Andy. It’s no secret Andy and Jim are not best buddies. In fact, Andy annoys Jim to no end. As usual, Andy’s stubborn streak kicks in, “Well, I'm just saying, you know, if you want to make people happy, namely me, you will have a Fudgey the Whale.” Jim grows noticeably more aggravated. However, Jim uses his usual mode of humor to deflect his temper, “Alright, I'll look into it, but the answer's no.” He has a slight smile on his face as all he can really do is laugh at his little joke. If Andy is going to annoy him he can at least amuse himself by annoying Andy right back. Jim is all too prepared for the guilt trip Andy throws at him, “Wow, okay, harsh. Just don't expect me to show up.” He still refuses to make eye contact (never make eye contact with animals in the wilderness as Dwight would surely advise), knowing full well Andy thrives on being the center of attention.

However, Andy’s focus continues to drill into him. At this point he’s desperate to get Andy off his trail, “Hey, Andy, I have some calls to make.” Jim uses his most diplomatic tone to let Andy know the subject is closed. The excuse of work is subtle, yet strong enough to get the message across. To his credit, Jim handles Andy with a high amount of skill, considering he is dealing with a very stubborn and temperamental individual. Andy appears to take the bait and rolls back over to his desk, seemingly leaving Jim at peace. Not two seconds later, Andy rolls over to Jim’s desk once again, requesting, “Pizza rolls.” That’s the last straw. Jim doesn’t want to hear anymore.

The birthday issue has exploded into something ridiculously complicated, thereby elevating Jim’s frustration. He simply can’t understand why everyone can’t just suck it up and have fun. No amount of humor can calm his aggravation, so he uses his next most popular tactic of avoidance. Jim’s face is clenched as he gets up from his desk and announces, “OK, I'm gonna go into this office here to do some work. So I will be in here,” as he heads into Michael’s office. Jim now finds himself isolated along with Michael. Both are in their respective wilderness environments where each will learn a little something about themselves.

His initial motive may be to avoid Andy, but it’s also important to note that Jim was actually working before Andy distracted him. Jim undoubtedly wastes a lot of time at work, but the fact remains, he is good at his job. A little too good. He’s bored because he runs out of stimulus before his first coffee break. With Jim’s heightened position, it possible to notice small indicators of a more focused work ethic. He feels responsibility and is responding. He will rise above the bar when given the opportunity.

Break Room #2:

Jim wanders into the break room for some coffee when everyone suddenly falls silent, with the exception of Oscar greeting him. Jim has calmed down considerably since the Andy situation and is back to his usual genial disposition. Jim thinks he can blend right into the conversation with his co-workers, “Hey guys, what're we talking about?” His status as manager and the havoc he is creating by changing the status quo doesn’t occur to him as he tries to have a friendly conversation with everyone. Little does he know he visited the same waterhole as all the wild animals in his wilderness. And they are growling.

Creed is the first to respond with his usual odd behavior, “Nothing! Nothing going on. We're talking about nothing. C'mon gang.” No one follows, but the silence is deafening. Jim knows this silence. He’s heard it before as Michael enters a room where everyone is talking about him. Suddenly Jim is overcome with a sense of bewilderment as he finds himself at odds with people who usually like him. There’s no mistaking the fact that they were talking about him and that sends shivers down Jim’s spine. He’s the outcast in his own domain. Jim has always had confidence issues in terms of needing to fit in (see JPS3, for the rundown on Jim’s time in Stamford). He stares at his co-workers almost feeling betrayed. He quickly looks away with a face that would normally accompany one of his disbelieving “wow’s.” Jim is starting to feel what it’s like to be in Michael’s shoes.

With Toby/Talking Head #3:

Jim remains isolated in Michael’s office, continuing to work. His original intent of using his work as a escape is likely driving Jim’s work ethic at this point. The frustration of his birthday plans and the sting of the break room sends him to the refuge of his work. Pam can’t help him this time as she is challenging him, albeit with an undertone of support. He hears a slight tap on the door just before Toby enters the office. In Toby’s usual dry voice he greets him, but Jim’s guard is up. Some “animals” are sneakier than others. Yet another has sniffed out Jim, despite his efforts to camouflage himself. With an air of caution he says, “Toby,” as part greeting and part What are you doing here? He’s had enough of everyone’s “issues” with the birthday party and can’t help but suspect Toby is here to discuss more problems. The human resources guy can’t be here for any other reason.

Toby cuts right to the chase and brings up the dreaded topic, “Hey, I just got the word on the communal birthdays.” Jim lets out an exacerbated breath and leans his chin on clasped hands, “Here we go again.” To Jim’s great surprise, Toby provides words of encouragement, “Great idea.” Jim looks up a Toby with a disbelieving face, almost afraid to let himself accept Toby’s compliment. Jim needs someone besides Pam in his corner so he grabs onto Toby’s bait like a starving fish, “Oh, thanks man.” Jim’s body language opens up and relaxes in response to Toby’s acceptance. He grabs onto the arm of his chair and slightly smiles, leaving himself wide open. Toby shifts his gaze to the wall of the office, quietly mumbling, “Yeah . . . .” Jim’s eyes shift to the camera as he realizes things aren’t all they’re cracked up to be. Unfortunately, he’s already fallen into Toby’s trap. In an odd parallel, Dwight has his gun pointed at Michael (with the safety on, of course), while Toby has Jim targeted. 

Given the choice, I’m sure Jim would switch places. Jim can feel another round of petty behavior coming his way and all he can do is brace for it while he tries to diffuse the situation, “again.” With rattled nerves he asks, “Is there anything . .. I can. . .” Before he can even finish, Toby launches into his sob story, “My birthday was two months ago. . .” Jim is sympathetic as he voices, “Oh, okay,” hoping this will be easier to quell than some of his other dealings. Toby’s depressed tone continues as he whines, “There was no party.” Toby thrives on gaining people’s sympathies as a means to gain their favor and he’s doing an excellent job of reeling in Jim. Jim is both confused and annoyed as he tries to give a surprised “What?” in response to Toby’s news. It does seem a little odd that there was no party, and that does gain Jim’s sympathies. He feels bad for him, despite his irritation. Toby goes on to clarify, “Well, it... there was. But Michael scheduled it for 4:58 on a Friday. You know, people sang in the parking lot.” Jim’s arms are back in front of him, almost as if he’s trying to defend himself from another attack. 

He wistfully recalls Toby’s “party” in a quiet voice, “I remember that.” He’s not sure where Toby is going with this, but he knows it can’t be good. Toby goes in for the kill with his mumbled request, “I don't know, I just thought you could include me.” Jim’s faces scrunches up in disbelief. As if Andy and Creed’s behavior didn’t border on insane, now Toby wants to be included in a birthday party to make up for his own. He trains his eyes on Toby and asks, “Seriously?” It’s the most ridiculous thing he’s heard all day and can’t believe Toby would make such a request. The insanity that surrounds him has never been more clear. Toby doesn’t relent and voices his justification, “I just though you could add me. I don't see the harm in that.” Jim is ready to explode with frustration. Fortunately for Jim, he has a high tolerance for strong emotions, in that he’s really good at keeping them hidden.

The scene breaks into a talking head, where Jim is able to vent some of his frustrations with a rousing round of sarcasm. His nerves are literally screaming for relief and humor is the only outlet he knows. Without even realizing it, he begins to imitate Michael by complaining about Toby, “Toby's great. He's great, but sometimes he can be a little bit much.” Jim rarely has anything negative to say about his co-workers (with the exception of Dwight, but that is an entirely different dynamic), so to see this behavior only furthers the notion that Jim is at the end of his rope.

The pressures of leadership are overwhelming as all the frustration Jim has held in for most of the time comes flooding out. In his best Toby impression he repeats Toby’s reasoning for being included, “I don't see the harm in that.” He’s had it plain and simple and venting through humor is helping to make him feel better. However, it’s not enough as Jim’s frustration is stronger than he anticipated. He lashes out with a scathing dose of sarcasm meant for nothing more than a release, “Well, it's a cake Toby, so, c'mon.” The irony of it all is Jim’s frustration is rooted in the fact that everyone is making such a big deal out of something so small, when he is caught up in the exact same behavior. What seemed like a small easy idea to him, has now become a monumental challenge that he just can’t drop.

Back with Toby, Jim decides it isn’t worth the fight to exclude Toby from the party. Reverting back to his previous method of appeasement he decides, “Okay. Yeah, you know what, we're just gonna throw you in. Because more the merrier, right?” He doesn’t have it in him to confront Toby with the same level of agitation he mustered in his previous talking head. Jim has never handled confrontation well, and this is perfect example of how he avoids it whenever possible. Giving Toby and everyone else what they want is easier than saying no, despite the subsequent aggravation it eventually entails.

Jim’s problems only multiply as Angela bursts into “his” office and exclaims, “No. No way. I am not a machine, Jim. You can't just change plans willy nilly and expect these little magic party elves to do your bidding. We already have devils food, peach cobbler, Fudgey the Whale, mushroom caps.” Jim’s head falls into his hands in absolute exhaustion and vexation. He rubs his eyes and forehead desperate for relief as his birthday plan literally crumbles at his feet. He looks down at his desk resting his forehead on his hands, while Angela pummels him with her objections.

The wilderness is kicking his butt and Jim feels helpless. Toby manages to break through Jim’s last layer of patience as he whines, “I’m allergic to mushrooms.” With that Jim snaps. He pops up out of his chair, again finding release in sarcasm as he says, “That's a bummer.” He’s beyond finished with listening to Toby’s “woe is me” statements and fielding attacks from Angela. Couple this with the fact that he has no support form the rest of the staff and he is losing his “argument” with Pam he grabs onto his leadership position with both hands. He decides it’s time to take action and he draws upon the only example he knows as he steps out into the main office.

Jim’s Announcement:

Jim situates himself in front of the office and addresses everyone in a loud voice, “Hey everybody. Hi, how you doing? Can I have your attention please? 'Cause we have to talk about this birthday thing.” His tired face gives away his inner frustration, as does his voice, despite his best efforts to sound upbeat. He scarcely sounds like himself as he tries to maintain some kind of control over the birthday disaster. He is so caught up in his own thoughts, Pam is able to hit him right between the eyes with a perfectly timed prank. He never saw it coming. She raises her hand and asks with serious tone, “Conference room?” Jim falls for it hook, line, and sinker. He spins around and points at her as he speaks, “Yes, conference room in five minutes... “ For a moment, he is sucked into the all familiar Michael tactic of using the conference room for another inane meeting over something stupid. 

However, it only takes a split second for Jim to jump out of skin and ask himself, “Whoa. What are you doing?” He quickly recants his conference room call. Just as Pam has done ever since the beginning of the season, she is anchoring him. At the moment he is lost in his own aggravation and sense of responsibility. Everything is spinning beyond his control and he is desperately trying to find some direction. The same is true of his life in general up to this point. Pam is the only one who make the world stand still long enough for Jim to find his way. Her simple prank brought him back to his reality (or home) and grounded him once again. He’s been stuck in the maze all day and she flicked on the guiding lights to help him find his way home. Part of him applauds her for pranking him so well, but he is more thankful to be snapped back into reality.

After seeing Pam’s smile and feeling the humor, Jim’s take on the situation changes. Instead of trying to prove himself right, he turns his attention to what will work best for the office, “We're gonna solve it right here. We're actually gonna talk about it out here. So, who has problems with the birthday thing? One, two, three, everybody. Okay, so then we just shouldn't do it.” He smiles slightly with a look of relief on his face. It’s just not worth it to him anymore. Pam helped him realize it really doesn’t matter and it’s time to let it go. It’s not worth the frustration or the conflict. 

However, calling the whole thing off creates it’s own set of issues as the wilderness again closes in on Jim. Angela complains that she is stuck with too many cakes. Kevin offers to take the extra cake, which prompts Creed to protect his peach cobbler. Jim is simply at a loss as he watches chaos unfold over something so stupid. Just when he thinks can’t get any more out of hand, Phyllis, provides him with the shock of his life. She unwittingly calls out, “Hey Michael. I mean Jim.” A lightening bolt shot through Jim’s spine as a horrified expression played out across his face. His eyes grow to the size of saucers as he stares into the camera. A replay of the days events and his behavior roll through his brain. He suddenly realizes he has become his worst nightmare “and” the butt of all his jokes. It’s a wake up call like no other.

Talking Head #3:

Jim sits in front of the camera still completely stunned. Jim voices his concerns over himself, “Yup, Phyllis called me Michael. And I will always and forever be haunted by that fact.“ He never saw himself as anything like Michael, yet he spent almost an entire day walking in his shoes and responding with behavior very similar to Michael’s. He was never as animated as Michael, but the scariest part was the fact that Michael’s logic invaded and dictated Jim’s actions. The very idea of being everyone’s friend and making everyone happy while in a management position is the cornerstone and pitfall of Michael’s logic. Jim fell right into the same trap. 

The only saving grace is his realization of his error. Unfortunately, Jim is kicking himself so hard that he doesn’t notice he is already ahead of the game. Everything feels like it’s again spinning out of control as he contemplates the fact that he’s become exactly what never saw for himself. The inevitable self doubt rears it’s ugly head as Jim tries to figure out just what he wants in life. He views his experiences with negative light, rather than seeing all he learned about himself. It will take another wake up call from an unlikely source to help him see, he isn’t as lost as he thinks. The concept of realizing what is unwanted is just as important as reaching for what is wanted.

Creed’s Party:

Jim holds onto Creed’s peach cobbler as everyone sings a less than excitable version of “Happy Birthday” to Creed. The party doesn’t come alive until Michael bursts into the room singing his usual high harmony voice. Everyone claps and cheers while Jim is left once again with a dumbfounded expression on his face. Jim watches Michael dote on Creed and add a spark to the party with his realization still swirling in his head. He was Michael for a day and failed miserably. Maybe Michael isn’t as big of an idiot as he once believed. Walking a mile in his shoes has changed his perspective on the man, as well as himself.

Jim is later seen blowing a party horn, while hanging out with Pam at the party. He is enjoying himself and has accepted his errors. Multiple birthday parties may be tiresome, but they are part of the lore of Dunder Mifflin. They are part of home. Jim may find it annoying and tedious, but there is something cozy and warm about the annoying antics that take place at every party. Jim even realizes his own disdain for the parties is part of being at home. It’s another little signal that Jim doesn’t necessarily need to change to find his happiness. He just needs to find acceptance from within himself.

With Michael:

Jim sits amongst the partygoers with defeated and closed in body language with his arms folded and slouched shoulders. It’s obvious he is tired, but also contemplating his complete and utter failure. There are so many things he would’ve done differently. Michael sits beside Jim and casually taps him on the leg as he greets him, “Hey buddy.” Jim returns responds with a tired “hey” as his eyes continue to indicate he is deep in thought. For once, Michael is all-knowing in that he can tell Jim had a rough day. His lighthearted tone continues as he uses a little bit of humor to get Jim to open up, “What up?” Jim truthfully replies, “Sure glad you’re back.” It’s something Jim thought he’d never say in regards to Michael, but the day’s experience has helped Jim appreciated and understand his boss more than he ever has before.

Michael is an idiot, but he is able to hold everything together and keep everything running rather smoothly. Jim was unable to accomplish that today and has newfound respect for Michael. Michael’s tone remains playful as he says, “You are relieved.” The statement is simple enough, but it has multiple meanings. Jim’s will relief extend beyond Michael’s return as he is about to be relieved of his fear of failure and his overwhelming sense of being lost. Jim’s lagging frustration again plays out in a slightly sarcastic tone, “You have no idea.” He is more than happy to pass the managerial burden back to Michael and lick his wounds.

Jim is noticeably downtrodden with his failures and wishes to shed the weight. He’s smart enough to know his mistakes shouldn’t devour him, but he still needs somewhere to release the sting of failure. Lessons learned can’t sink in until there is room for them to flourish. Michael provides him with the perfect opportunity with a simple question that provides a wide open door to unload, “So what did I miss?” Jim still clings to his sarcasm, although it is well hidden, “Well, I tried to put all the birthdays together at once.” At first listen, his voice is very matter of fact, but it’s possible to detect Jim poking a little bit of fun at himself. The idea he thought was so great at the beginning of the day is now quite possibly the worst idea he’s ever had. Jim’s humor just can’t ignore the paradox. Admitting his failure has a calming effect on Jim. It feels really good to let it out.

This simple exercise lets Jim come to terms with his error and what he learned in the process. Michael reacts halfway through Jim’s statement, with a knowing “Oh,” and nodding head. It’s already obvious Michael failed with the same idea. Jim responds with his own awareness of a tough lesson learned, “So, terrible idea” Jim is still beating himself up a little bit and Michael jumps to the rescue, “Yeah, okay, I did that. Rookie mistake.” Jim raises his eyebrows and focuses on Michael more intently. He is surprised, yet validated by Michael’s admission. To know he isn’t alone is immensely reassuring. Wanting to cling to this piece of reassurance, he asks Michael, “You did do it?,” to reaffirm his partner in error. Jim is able to identify with Michael on a new level. He can literally see himself sitting next to him, but oddly enough it’s a wiser version.

Jim can’t help but smile at the fact that he is just as clueless as Michael in many ways. And here he is taking advice and seeking comfort from a man he usually baby-sits. It’s blind leading the blind. The humor of the situation is not lost on Jim and it helps him to identify Michael in yet another way. When Michael isn’t loud and obnoxious, Jim finds him very funny and relatable. Michael’s ability to not only poke fun at himself, but also the idea of a communal birthday party, allows Jim to immediately feel the camaraderie. He is connecting to Michael much the same way he connects to everyone. Humor is one of Jim’s most valued assets and he seeks it out in others.

Michael’s little pep talk continues with a little pearl of wisdom that only experience can teach, “Uh-huh. Yeah, just wait. Ten years, you’ll figure it out.” Jim looks away as if that much truth is a little too tough to face. He smirks a little as he reassures himself, “Well, I don’t think I’ll be here in ten years.” He places emphasis on the “ten years” portion of his response. That seems like an eternity to Jim and he refuses to see himself planted in the same job in a decade. His voice is rooted in certainty, as he’s always believed he would be somewhere other than Dunder Mifflin. He’s never quite figured out just where he’d be, but he’s always told himself selling paper is temporary. As the years went by, Jim needed to believe this is not his life so he doesn’t view himself as a failure. It’s easier on his ego to believe his is bound for bigger things.

The only thing Jim fails to take into account is the fact that he needs very little to make him happy. He doesn’t need a fancy job or an expensive home. However, he still likes to envision himself with more success than his current status. Jim has been at this job for at least five years if not more, yet Jim still refuses to see it as a permanent fixture in his life. As he speaks he even surveys the room and the people surrounding him with a sense of dismissal. He still wants to believe he can and will eventually leave.

A small smile even forms on his lips as he contemplates his eventual escape. It’s a very basic tenet of human nature. People want to see themselves as something better than their lot in life. Some people break free of the monotony of their jobs while others find contentment in even the most mundane task. Jim just continues to cling to the optimistic ideal that he is better than his surroundings. It’s isn’t arrogance in any sense, but rather clinging to dreams that have no definition. There is no clear goal that Jim to reach for as he never created one for himself other than eventually leaving Dunder Mifflin. Hence, no direction when he’s desperate to find a path.

Jim’s false sense of certainty is literally pulverized with Michael’s simple, yet earth shattering words, “That's what I said.” The small smile that inhabited Jim’s face slowly fades as the reality of his life begins to come into focus. The haze of fear and false beliefs begins to clear, giving Jim a crystal clear view of himself unlike anything he’s ever experienced. Whoa. After identifying with Michael on such a deep level, it becomes entirely clear to Jim that he is following the exact same path, This could really be my life. A mix of horror and wonderment fills his face as the truth permeates his soul and breaks through every vision Jim has or ever had for himself. His earlier rationale of believing he would always leave meets with his realization that he has never really done anything to change his status. Humor always veiled his apathetic nature, and now the effects of his procrastination and inaction are hitting him right between the eyes. 

Last season he had the impression of movement and effort, but his attempts to leave Scranton were never rooted in self truth. Stamford and New York were both attempts to escape heartbreak, but never Dunder Mifflin. No matter his geographic location, he remained in the same position of staying with a job he always said he leave. It finally occurs to him that the only two constants in his life are Pam and Dunder Mifflin. The stunning truth becomes apparent: He’s probably not going anywhere. Jim toys with this realization as his chest pulls tight and his stomach flips in protest. His face looks a little sick as the first taste of truth is a little sour. He never saw himself or his life with so much clarity. The good and the bad are right in front of him in equal measure. However, sour soon gives way to sweet as Jim has finally found his place. He knows where he stands in his life, even though it’s a little tough to swallow at first.

He can’t help but ask himself the inevitable question, What am I doing? A cascade of internal questions soon befall him. His past and present all converge as he evaluates his status. He could talk himself in circles but it all boils down to one central question, Is it enough? If he wakes up ten years from now in the same place, Jim can’t help but wonder if he’ll be happy. He is usually content to a fault, but he’s never really asked himself if he is truly happy. His aimless wandering has officially come to a halt as Jim realizes he has two directions in which to choose. He can either stay on his current path or reach for something else. Either way he must choose what will make him happy.

In The Job, Jim was faced with a similar choice when David Wallace brought up the magic “ten year” scenario during the interview process. Jim knew the answer almost immediately and knew his happiness resided with Pam. He saw himself with her in ten years, but he failed to see beyond her. The constant of Pam has never been an issue as Jim finds immense comfort with her in his life, despite his fears of losing her. She makes him happy and she always will make him happy. Adding to his epiphany is the realization that it‘s not just about him. He can’t help but question himself in terms of what he can offer Pam if he stays on his current path. He wants to be able to take care of her and give her everything she needs, but he can’t really do that if he’s not fulfilled. Although Jim has found his place, self-doubt still lingers to a certain extent. The question of whether or not he’s good enough for her quietly picks at the back of his brain. Despite the doubt that lingers, the inescapable truth still comforts Jim to a certain extent. For the first time in a long time he is grounded with a sense of direction. He may be at fork in the road, but at least he can see the road.

Jim’s reverie is broken by Michael’s ill placed, but perfectly required burst of humor. Out of nowhere he says, “That's what she said.” After a few seconds, the joke registers in Jim’s mind and he snaps out of his thoughts to look at Michael. Humor once again saves Jim from imploding. Deep thought can bring a long awaited epiphany, but so can the lighthearted dance of a simple joke attached to small bit of wisdom. If Jim ever needed a smile, it was at this moment. He plays along with Michael, genuinely amused and relieved to find a lighter train of thought, “That what who said?” Instead of taking his usual defense posture, Michael openly admits, “I never know.” Jim can’t help but smile widely and chuckle at both Michael and himself. Both are clueless in so many ways, but Jim has learned the trick is accepting his shortcomings.

At this point, Jim can find comfort in his failures in that they have taught him so much about himself. In addition to his life altering epiphany, Jim learned he is capable of more than he gave himself credit. He has leadership capabilities and can rise to a challenge. This is really the first time he’s been consciously aware of these traits. He can see his strengths and weaknesses, which give him a firm foundation to choose his path. None of this would be possible without falling flat on his face.

Perhaps his biggest lesson comes in terms of how he has chosen to handle his failure. He’s made the all-important choice of learning from his mistakes rather than allowing them to fester internally. Throughout Season 3 he constantly ran from his mistakes and never let himself gain any insight. It appears Jim is through running and is ready to overcome his weaknesses. Oddly enough, Michael’s humor helps Jim to see his mistakes are simply a rite of passage. It’s perfectly acceptable to be clueless if you’re learning along the way.

Michael offers further advice by explaining his reasoning behind his infamous “that’s what she said” with, “I just say it. I say stuff like that, you know, to lighten the tension. When things sort of get hard.” Jim never thought of Michael using that logic, but he can identify with it on so many levels. He uses humor for the same reasons on a daily basis. Jim doesn’t miss a beat and fires a perfectly timed, “that’s what she said” in response to Michael’s last phrase. Jim is essentially emulating Michael once again, but the horror and shame is no longer attached to his behavior. There is a new respect and admiration for Michael’s antics, no matter how ridiculous.

Humor once again provides a sense of home and release and Jim’s smile grows wider. His eyes begin to sparkle as his face lights up in response to Michael’s enthusiastic response, “Hey! Nice. Really good. Bravo, my young ward.” Jim continues to laugh, almost surprised at how easily he is amused at a joke that has echoed through the building countless times. Somehow it has new meaning in that it’s familiar and essentially part of him. Jim’s head turns away as he quickly scans his surroundings once again. This time his face is filled with contentment in place of dismissal. His surroundings may not be what he envisioned for himself, but he’s come to the conclusion that he is happy. His earlier lesson of self-created validation finds it’s place as he realizes he is where he belongs, for the time being and he can accept that fact. Truth be told, he’s been on the right track the whole time. He was just to blind to see it. Suddenly, he’s not in the wilderness anymore and his co-workers are not wild animals waiting to tear him apart. Instead, he finds himself at home. And to his surprise, he actually cares about what fills his field of vision. 

If this epiphany isn’t enough, all Jim has to do is reflect on his time in Stamford. The root of his pain may have been Pam, but part of him longed for home in general. Whether he likes it or not, this is all “part” of his life. Following that line of thought, he may have two choices in front of him, but Jim’s choice doesn’t have to be black and white. Part of his choice lies in the realization that his job is not his whole life. It’s simply part of it, and it’s not as bad as he once supposed. The real choice lies in finding the paths that are within himself. There are possibilities at Dunder Mifflin, but the real change is accepting his career status, while breaking through the confines of how he perceives himself. That is Jim’s real journey. In true Jim fashion, he is approaching it with an air of humor, a smile, and a sprinkle of sarcasm to get him through the rough spots.

The Bottom Line:
Jim has a road map and a clue.

- - -


Questions to Ponder:

1) How will Jim’s relationship with Michael change?

2) How will Jim’s epiphany impact JAM?

3) What is Jim’s next move?

4) Is Jim‘s epiphany enough to permanently change his perception of himself? 
Chapter End Notes:

Commonly Used Acronyms: PD = Pam Dichotomy, JP = Jim Paradox, CN = Casino Night, FNB = Fancy New Beesly, QTP = Questions to Ponder

This post was written nine years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I’ve decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation.  Call it nostalgia if you will, but there’s something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.



scrantonbranch is the author of 11 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 5 members. Members who liked The Jim Paradox: Season 4 also liked 2178 other stories.
This story is part of the series, The Jim Paradox. The previous story in the series is The Jim Paradox: Season 3.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans