- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Here is all you need to know about this chapter: Fluff!

Jim is not one to brag. In general, no matter what he accomplishes, particularly at work, he doesn't care to talk about it - except to annoy Dwight. But this baby is something he loves bragging about. He would talk about his beautiful wife and this child she is bringing into this world for the rest of his life if they'd let him.

And if they both make a few extra sales because of it, then so be it.

It's all fun and games, of course, until Pam goes completely insane. And by insane, he really means that she's totally calm and sane when she should be going crazy, like he is.

Jim is stressed out because Pam is clearly in labor but she keeps pushing off the hospital and oh my God this woman is going to drive him insane. Does she know the baby comes whether you get to the hospital or not? Like, is she trying to have her baby at Dunder Mifflin, or what?

Jim is frazzled.

And he sits in his car and he hopes to God that his beautiful, talented, kind, normally very intelligent wife will come to her senses. Instead, she comes out to tell him that she has not, in fact, come to her senses and that she is still not going to the hospital.

"She's not coming out for a while."

Wait, what?

They'd wanted it to be a surprise. They had purposely not found out because they didn't want to know, together. But suddenly Pam knows and now Jim knows and he can't stop thinking about it.

"How could I be mad? We're having a little girl."

And he's picturing Pam's hair and his eyes, but definitely Pam's smile. And her artistic talent but definitely his sense of humor. She'll be so smart and so perfect and she's going to be theirs, this little tiny baby that Pam's going to have today-

If they can ever just get to the damn hospital.

She finally breaks down in the break room. And Jim thinks back to all the moments of doubt that he's seen Pam have. And honestly, he's mad at himself for not seeing sooner what was going on. But it's too late now, her contractions are two minutes apart and he needs to get to the hospital and also to kill Michael for waiting so long so he's got a lot on his plate right now, okay?

But he slows down for a minute, takes Pam by the hand and he tells her what he's known forever. That she's great, that she's going to be fine. He wills her to believe in herself the way that he always has.

Finally, something clicks, and Pam is standing and they're in the elevator and they're on their way.

They're on their way to have a baby. A little baby girl.

There is a lot of yelling and near fainting and screaming and pushing in confusion and then…

"Pam, she's beautiful."

And then there is peace, and the world is spinning on its normal axis. Pam is fine, Cecelia is here and she's with them and oh God is she perfect. He knows it's so cheesy, but he never thought he'd love a girl more than Pam, and yet here he is.


Pam is in love. Oh man, she is so hooked. She has this little tiny baby in her arms. She made that. And this little baby is half her, and half the love of her life.

They just stare at her. For a long time, before Jim goes out to tell the rest of the office that she's okay, that Cecelia is okay. What a pretty name for a pretty girl.

Being a mom is going to be so awesome. She's got the best husband in the world by her side.

She imagines Cece learning to walk, Jim saying, "Come to Daddy!" and this little nugget taking her first few wobbly steps before falling right into Jim's open arms. She pictures Jim holding the back of a tricycle, and then a bicycle, long curls flowing out from underneath a helmet.

Pam imagines first Christmases and first New Year's and first birthdays and first summers and first trips to the beach.

She was so scared. Back at the office, she'd been worried that she wouldn't be able to do it. She was worried she wouldn't push hard enough, wouldn't get the baby out. That once the baby was out, the baby would hate her. That something, anything would go wrong in the baby's whole entire life.

But Pam sits in that hospital bed, Jim holding both her and the baby, and she is so glad she's there. She has the perfect life. This is it.

She definitely never deserved any of it, but God she is so damn lucky.


Jim knows without a doubt that he will never be as happy as he is in this moment. With the love of his life and this little thing that they've created who is half him and half her.

Of course, not everything about a new baby is sunshine and roses and little yawns and perfect mouths. If it were, everyone would be running around having babies all the time. The swaddling does not go well. The teamwork thing kind of falls apart and Jim is frustrated but nowhere near as frustrated as Pam.

Until the lactation consultant is some guy and some guy is touching his wife in places that Jim is supposed to be the only one to touch.

Okay. Jim is trying not to be jealous but...this guy...he's touching Jim's wife, hello!

He thinks back to the time he almost drove all the way to New York because Pam had drunk dialed him while she was out with her friends. He thinks about the fact that Roy was the one who influenced him to do it, about how he turned around and went home.

Okay, deep breath, Halpert. She walked down the aisle with you three months ago. You're fine.

He doesn't even want to leave her to pull the car around, which is why he forgets to do it in the first place. By the time he comes back, she's crying, and the baby is eating, and there he is again, with his perfect little family. And he stares at that baby and he wonders how he ever thought his life was anywhere close to complete before this moment.

When they get home and Dwight is in their half-destroyed kitchen, it's not even worth getting into. They just keep on moving. Dwight can ruin a lot of things, but he can't ruin this.

He damn sure does try once Jim gets back to work. Jim knows that it's dumb to think that Cece won't know who her dad is. Jim's still going to be home every night by 6PM at the latest, it's not like he's going away for days or weeks on end, or disappearing completely. It's not like Pam has a train of guys coming through the house who Cece will think are her dad.

And yet, when Pam sends him pictures of Cece doing all this one-week-old stuff that he's already missing out on, he lets Dwight get into his head just a tiny bit.

And then he is not home by 6PM sharp because Jo keeps them late and Dwight has gotten this tiny little nugget of despair inside Jim's brain and Jim just cannot shake it loose.

He can, however, steal Dwight's excuse for leaving early - or, leaving only two hours late instead of staying until midnight like everyone else.

And so he does. And he goes home to his perfect little family and he tells Cece over and over how much he loves her. And Pam just a little bit, too.

For Jim, Pam being gone is vaguely reminiscent of when they were in different states, using a tiny earpiece to communicate throughout the day. Luckily, no nanotechnology is required this time - the company is much more understanding about Jim wanting to talk to the mother of his newborn baby all day that they would have been about Jim wanting to talk to his girlfriend who left work for three months all day.

Still, it is kind of fun when he can include her on things going on at the office, even when she's not there, because it makes him feel like she is. And it shouldn't surprise him that she can solve half of Michael's clues in the time it takes him to solve one. She's so smart and so observant - no one in this office knows Michael better than Pam does.

And yet, not even Pam can foresee Date Mike, with his strange hat and weird obsession with cherry stems. Pam's first night out with the office after having Cece is...different. Well, really, it's not much different than most outings with these weird co-workers of theirs. Just a bit more exaggerated. Or maybe it's just been a while.

They both definitely could do without Kevin crying directly into Pam's chest, though. Sigh.

But, it gets Pam out of the house, and it makes Pam happy. And that's all Jim wants. And, before Date Mike came out, they had actually been having a good time - Jim's kind of a sucker for couple/double-date things. He tells himself it's because it's nice to interact with other people who have similar life experiences, but no one in this office has similar life experiences to Jim and Pam. Really, Jim just likes anything that puts him and Pam on the same team, the same side of the table, anything.

He does love that woman.

He is crazy excited when Pam gets to come back to work. He knows she loved being home with their baby, but he's selfish enough to want her to be back at work with him. In an ideal world, they'd all three just be home all day and that would be it. But money needs to be made, and so here they are.

It's just an extra nice bonus when Pam randomly comes over and kisses him on the cheek out of nowhere. Man, he missed her.

It's also nice when Gabe sets them up nicely to go home and hang out with their kid for two entire days, with pay. Gabe's power trips are almost as bad as Dwight's, Jim thinks, and he could really use a prank or two to bring him down a notch. Good, a project for them to work on while they sit at home with their tiny, perfect little girl for two days.

Welcome back, indeed.

Jim is almost disappointed by the lack of excitement in his life as of late. Well, mostly he loves it: he's just a normal guy, married to the love of his life, with a perfect little baby at home. What more could he ever want? But at the same time, is he losing his touch?

He hasn't pranked Dwight in ages, and Dwight is just as annoying as ever.

So, he knows it's silly, but he and Pam decide to take a morse code class together. It becomes their date night - they get out of the house and leave Cece at home with a sitter or one of their parents, they go to a class and talk about their co-workers and their families and their days, and then they grab a bite to eat, maybe some ice cream. It's so dumb, and Jim knows it's dumb, but it's something for them to do together.

Getting Dwight to believe there's a bomb somewhere in the office is just a bonus.

Everything feels more right with the world after Dwight is messed with.

Everything does not feel as right with the world with a baby up all night. Jim is struggling, and he loves helping with Cece - he'd never want to be one of those dads who let his wife do all of the changing and feeding and burping and everything else. He loves his alone time with his beautiful, perfect angel of a baby girl, but he also loves his sleep.

Gabe catches them both napping at their desks and then he almost falls asleep listening to Gabe talk. God, Gabe is almost as boring as Toby. And it's so warm in here, and this chair is so comfortable…

No.

Jim has got to get some sleep. So when Darryl offers some secret spot in the warehouse to him and Pam, they jump at it.

It's actually kind of nice. And under different circumstances, if it weren't at work, if there weren't warehouse workers and lifts and ladders and trucks all over, he might find it kind of romantic. He remembers his and Pam's first night away together, at Dwight's weird beet farm. How they actually somehow had fun, just because they were together. He could be anywhere, doing anything, and he'd still be happy just to be with her.

He's letting those thoughts take him away, falling asleep slowly when he hears Dwight's voice. At first, he thinks he's dreaming it, that he's back at Schrute Farms with Pam, listening to Harry Potter, sharing a tiny twin sized bed with a girl he was finally lucky enough to be dating-

And then hears Angela's voice and his eyes pop open.

No, he and Pam are not on Schrute Farms. They are here at Dunder Mifflin, and Dwight and Angela are…

Still? Again?

Jim can't keep track, and now it doesn't matter because he is traumatized for life.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans