- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Season Seven is all one chapter. It's basically all fluff, but you know what happens at the end, right? 

It isn't often that Jim hates that hiccup-y laugh of Pam's. Most often, he loves that laugh. He always feels like he's done something special to earn a laugh like that. Even before they were married, before they were dating, that laugh meant "Job well done," to Jim.

When she laughs before he's even finished what he's doing, though, he gets a little frustrated.

Not that he'd ever really be mad at Pam over something so trivial. It's just something to jokingly hold over her head and tease her about.

Something to finally get her back for jinxing him and forcing him to listen to Kelly talk for like a full hour when she so easily could have rescued him…

He makes sure she knows he's kidding by calling her Mrs. Halpert. She used to love when he called her Beesly - and sometimes he still does - but this feels like a Mrs. Halpert moment.

Hey, we're married, and I love you even if you ruined my long, planned-out prank on my worst enemy.

And even though her make-up prank kind of backfires, he loves that she tried. He loves that Pam just gets him in a way that no one else ever has. Pranks are such a stupid thing, but they both love them and they both love playing them on Dwight.

Whatever works.

Since the morse code classes, Jim and Pam haven't had a whole lot of time to themselves. So, yeah, even though a night out seeing Andy's play doesn't seem like the best use of their time, it's also nice to get out and feel like adults a little bit.

They should have known better than to let Erin watch the baby. Cecelia is precious cargo and Erin is...still a kid herself, in the way Michael is still a kid. They sure wouldn't let Michael babysit.

But still, it's almost a relief to be able to leave the play - in the same way it was a relief to come in the first place. They'd spent the whole night worrying about Cece and now they had her back.

They sit in the car, with the baby in the back, drinking pretend adult drinks.

And somehow, even though the setting is different, Jim is reminded of their dates on the roof - well, the not-date and the date. He thinks about how far they've come, how lucky they are to have found each other.

He looks in the rearview mirror at that carseat. He thinks about how he and Pam made that. They created a life. This woman who he's been in love with for longer than he can remember gave him that gift.

Man, Jim Halpert is one lucky son of a bitch.

The fact that Michael Scott does not know how to ride a bike shouldn't surprise anyone. And yet, everyone is surprised.

Jim and Pam each grab a handle bar and they hang on and even though it's weird and it's annoying, Jim kind of feels like a dad in that moment. Among all the diaper changes and the late night feedings and the nonsense noises and the faces Cece makes at him now that she's got that recognition thing going on...sometimes he just doesn't feel like a dad yet.

So, thanks Michael.

In one fell swoop though, Jim is back to his usual annoyance with his weird, senseless boss.

Why would he hire Danny Cordray?

Listen, Jim is not jealous. Jim has a child with Pam, who cares who she dated four years ago? Pam's told him everything that happened while he was in Stamford, including that she dated this incredibly handsome, probably rich, stylish, tall, fit salesman.

Who cares?

Apparently the whole office, of course. They cared when Jim liked Pam, when they started dating, when they were pregnant. They've practically been involved in Jim and Pam's relationship for as long as Jim and Pam themselves. So why wouldn't they care that Pam went on three - no, two - measly dates with some other guy four years ago.

And while, okay, fine, Jim is a tiny bit jealous, it's reasonable, he thinks. He was the one Pam called off her wedding for. He was the one she was supposed to be with after Roy. Right?

No, that's dumb, and it's crazy. He plays with his wedding ring when he's nervous or when he's thinking, like right now.

But, okay, why did he stop calling…

Jim has had his moments in the past of feeling defensive about his wife. Moments when people have called her a failure, or told him that she doesn't follow through. Moments when she's said those things about herself. When Dwight insulted her painting, he almost knocked him out. Jim loves Pam and he just wants everyone to see in her what he does.

So, when Danny-freaking-Cordray says that Pam is dorky like it's a bad thing, Jim is a little pissed off.

Yes, Pam is dorky. She's a grown adult dressed like Olive Oyl. She got hit on by a Benjamin Franklin impersonator. But that dorkiness is why Jim loves her. No one else would pull pranks, would come up with nano-robots as a fake disease. No one else would get trapped in an elevator with Dwight just for him, Jim knows that for sure.

Screw Danny Cordray. Pam is a dork, and that's the exact opposite of a reason not to call her back.

So, Jim does something he never thought he would do before. Just like all those times when he had to actually do work in order to impress Pam or make money to buy a house for Pam or...okay pretty much anything to do with Pam.

This time, he dresses up for Halloween.

And he knows that Pam is feeling extra down because Danny Cordray called her dorky. And he knows that she thinks dorky is a bad thing.

So he runs home and gets Cece, dresses her up as Swee'Pea, puts on that horrific Pop-Eye costume, and shows his wife just what a great thing dorky can be.

Jim is, as always, excited for Christmas. He knows Pam is expecting some crappy homemade something-or-other that he's thrown together, or some small thing that reminded him of her in some obscure way.

No, Jim had a great year in sales, and it's all because of Pam. Pam motivates him every day to do better. Pam gave him Cece. Pam deserves something better than homemade.

So he buys her a bracelet. He spends probably way too much on it, but he doesn't care. He wants her to think about how much he loves her every time she wears it. He wants to finally give her this tangible thing that says, "You mean literally everything to me."

He is not prepared for her amazing gift. This is not something he ever could have thrown together.

"That's my bike. And that's my desk. And that is my daughter," he points out, as if she doesn't already know. As if she didn't purposely include all these tiny details from his real life to make this comic book even better.

She made an entire story. The details are...wow.

Jim is blown away. That bracelet is gorgeous, but this is one-of-a-kind. A Pam Beesly original, just like Cece.

Listen, Jim Halpert does not get drunk. He has a few beers or a glass of wine or whatever, and he's good.

But bottomless champagne when he is already tired and stressed...how can he say no?

He is very mesmerized by the vending machine when Pam starts talking about sex in the office.

"Thass weird," she's slurring. And it is weird. Who would want to have sex here? This place is a minefield of bad memories for Jim. Like, he sits at that desk and is bored all the time. And then there was the time when…

Wait, what was he thinking about?

"And no one knows you've had sex there except for you and him…"

Oh my God he and Pam are gonna have sex in the office.

The more he thinks about it, the better an idea it is. After all, they did meet here. And he fell in love with her here. And he kissed her for the first time here. And he asked her on a date here.

Wow, the office is kinda neat, actually, now that Jim thinks about it. And like, everyone else has already had sex here. So, why not? What's the difference? People think they're so boring, well they'll show...everyone!

They try that nap spot in the warehouse, but it's taken. Ryan's office, but Ryan is weird and gross and awkward. A box? No, that's...there are too many packing peanuts.

The supply closet works. The supply closet gets the job done.

Happy Valentine's Day, right?

The fact that Michael Scott wants to propose to Holly is actually really amazing. Jim remembers when Michael first saw her, and how he knew he wanted to be with her. Jim sees a lot of himself and Pam in that relationship - though they are much less...weird, right?

They tell Michael how Jim proposed and for a moment, Jim wonders if he should have done it differently. The fireworks at that party so many years ago, that would have been ideal. He still hasn't totally forgiven Andy for stealing his real moment.

But then Pam looks at him and says it was sweet, and she's surprised that he was scared. And he knows he did it exactly right. Jim and Pam have not had a traditional love story, but they have had a good one. And Jim wants that for Michael. So they help him plan something unique to Michael and Holly's love story.


Pam didn't think Jim was scared. Which is silly, when she thinks about it, because the very idea of proposing scares the hell out of her, and she's never had to do it.

She looks at Michael and how in love he is, and she wants so badly for him a story like the one she and Jim have.

She remembers not feeling suspicious at all when he asked her to lunch - those three months apart had been so rough on them, he wanted to meet her randomly all the time. It was a bit more rushed than usual that day, but it still didn't seem odd. She was just excited to see her boyfriend.

She had missed him all the time when she was away. She knew he was at home waiting for her, and she just wanted to be there with him. She knew she was doing something that could seriously impact her future, but she also knew that Jim was her future.

There had never been a doubt for Pam. From the moment he popped his head in and asked her on their first date - their first real date, no matter how many times he insisted that lunch or that time on the roof counted as dates - Pam knew that Jim was it for her. She'd dated the opposite of Jim in Roy, had dated a lot of guys in between. But Jim was meant for Pam. And she'd never had a doubt.

When they met at that gas station - what a silly place to meet, just to say a quick hello, grab a pre-made sandwich and eat in the car while the rain poured down over them - she immediately started their usual banter. She could barely finish her sentence about how much farther she had had to drive before he was down on one knee.

And even though Pam had known it was coming eventually - he'd already told her, basically - she was still in shock. She'd been so disappointed when he hadn't proposed under the fireworks in the spring, had been waiting for it every time he knelt down in front of her. They'd joked about it hundreds of times, had even talked about not wanting to spend their first few months as an engaged couple in totally different states.

But in that moment, with Jim kneeling in front of her with the most perfect ring she'd ever seen, on this gross, horrible, rainy day, Pam had never felt so certain of her future.

And now, sitting her in this conference room, watching Michael stress in a way that she'd never gotten to see Jim stress, she just has so much love in her heart.

Love for her perfect husband, Jim Halpert, who gave her that beautiful gift of Cece, waiting at home for them. Love for Michael, her weird, quirky boss who had faith in her during times when so few other people did. Love for Holly, who is the only person she's ever seen make Michael smile the way he's smiling right now.

And Pam knows that this proposal is going to be perfect. Perfect for Michael and Holly, in the way that a rainy gas station lunch date was perfect for her and Jim.


Michael announcing that he's leaving has severely changed the mood in the office.

Jim and Pam are surprised, to say the least. Dwight is acting worse than usual. The whole room just feels sour.

Jim decides to make the best of it. The new boss, Deangelo, seems like a normal guy to Jim. But everyone is suddenly jumping through all of these hoops to impress him. Well, Jim's never been an ass kisser.

So when Deangelo tells Jim and Pam how cute their baby is, Jim feels an intense surge of pride. See, he doesn't need to kiss anyone's butt, because he's charming, and his wife is beautiful, and their baby is perfect. That's all he needs. He just needs to be himself and live his perfect life.

Deangelo's mood changes so quickly when they bring up Cece a second time. And Jim is, as always, a little defensive. He knows Pam is taking it pretty hard - she is used to being Michael's go-to after all. So he suggests bringing Cece in to meet Deangelo in person. No one can say no to those perfect blue eyes and chubby cheeks.

Man, he doesn't even care if Deangelo likes them. His girls are the most perfect things that God could ever give him.

Michael's last day is weird. Because no one knows that it's Michael's last day. But Jim knows Michael really well, oddly enough. And Jim can tell that something is up.

Walking into that office to say goodbye to the strangest man Jim has ever known is surprisingly sad.

Jim remembers wanting to kill Michael for spilling his secret about liking Pam. He also remembers Michael telling him to never give up.

Truthfully, Jim wonders if he ever would have gotten together with Pam if it weren't for Michael Scott. Michael rooted him on, watching from the sidelines and telling Jim he was doing the right thing at every turn. And even through all of the over-invasive tendencies, the horrible impressions, the annoying questions, and the coffee breath, Michael has been supportive of Jim and Pam every single day for as long as Jim can remember.

It does strike Jim as a little strange that Michael doesn't want there to be a big deal about him leaving. Michael is the center of attention, always. And when Michael stands there by the door, not wanting to say goodbye to anyone, not for real, because he wants them to all just enjoy the day tomorrow, enjoy the cake and the party and the celebration without him, Jim is struck by how mature Michael is being.

He wonders if Holly is changing him for the better, or if it was Jo - Michael really seemed to get his act together after that tough-as-nails Florida CEO took over. Either way, Jim just wants the best for Michael. Michael who told him, while they stood on a freezing cold boat in the middle of winter, to "never ever ever give up".

Don't you give up either, Jim thinks. And he hugs Pam extra hard when she gets back. He tells her what's going on, because he knows his wife will want to say goodbye. As much as they've wanted Michael to back out of their relationship ever since it started, they also both know how instrumental he's been in the whole thing.

And when Pam comes home, she's crying because of Michael, and while he'd never admit it, he's crying, too.

They're gonna miss that guy.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans