- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
A roller coaster of a season!

After the fiasco of Deangelo Vickers and the bigger fiasco of Dwight Schrute, the combination of Robert California and Andy Bernard as CEO and Regional Manager is actually a really welcome scenario.

Jim never thought he'd actually want to see Andy in a leadership role, but if nothing else, it keeps Andy's acapella outbursts in his own office instead of at the desk clump right next to him.

It also helps that he's been just a bit preoccupied with a second baby coming. Pam has been exceptionally emotional this time around, so it's almost like having a second job trying to keep her from crying. He loves Pam and he hates seeing her cry, and it's his natural instinct to comfort her every time she does. But she is always crying.

Jim is a bit exhausted.

So when the list comes out, he just wants to figure it out and be done with. Why are Jim and Pam on opposite sides?

Andy stands up for the "right siders", which is actually kind of awesome of him. And Jim catches the small smile on Pam's face when Andy calls her creative, and nice. Score one for Andy in the "good boss" column, as far as Jim is concerned.

And then Robert tells them what the lists are, and he calls Jim's wife a loser, and Jim suddenly doesn't care about the list or Robert or this lunch. He just wants to go back to his perfect wife, who is in the midst of creating another perfect child.

But he knows that no amount of convincing on his end will cheer her up. Pam was so loved by Michael, and that's what she's gotten used to. Having a boss who doesn't like her is all new territory for her. And on top of that, she's crazy pregnant, and crazy crazy. So Jim needs to do something else.

PAM, CECE, NEW BABY, he writes. EVERYTHING ELSE, follows.

What matters, what doesn't. Winners, losers.

Jim knows his wife and he knows that he'll be seeing good tears for the first time in a while after this one.

There is a distinct possibility that Jim has gotten used to Pam being exactly like his fantasies. For years now, he's been lucky enough to have been right about almost every single thing that he imagined being with Pam would be like.

So he's a little thrown when she seems so against the idea of living in Maine. Jim loves the idea of living in Maine, and in his fantasy, so does Pam.

Apparently Fantasy Pam and Real Pam have decided to finally stand in opposing corners. He tries to convince Real Pam to sync back up with Fantasy Pam, but she's not having it.

No Maine for Future Jim, then.

They do come a compromise - one that makes no sense and isn't real, but a compromise nonetheless.

But the important part isn't, and really never was, being in a perfect home or a perfect town. The important part was that they were there together, enjoying each other's company.

"We can chat anytime we want," he tells the camera, when the crew asks them what they've finally come up with.

"Just like now," and Pam is looking at him with that look he loves so much, where she just looks simultaneously in love, proud, and unendingly happy. He knows that look well, because he often looks at her with the same one.

"Just like now," he agrees.

Screw Maine. As long as his fantasy involves Pam, he's good to go.

Jim loves pranking Dwight. From small, subtle mind games to big, public pranks that everyone sees except for Dwight, he loves it all. And his pranks with Pam are some of his best.

But one of his favorite things is pranking Dwight and letting Pam sit back, relax, and enjoy the show.

The garden party is probably his finest work. It's also somehow a prank on Andy for taking this whole thing so seriously, if Jim's being honest with himself.

And he hasn't seen Pam so peaceful in a while. During the closing ceremonies, she lays her head on his shoulder. And, in true Jim fashion, he is brought back to all the moments that led them here.

He thinks about Michael's antics that led to Diversity Day, that led to a boring meeting where Pam fell asleep with her head on his shoulder. He thinks about the party in the parking lot that Michael threw for Toby's departure, where he really was going to propose, but Andy stopped him. He thinks about the fireworks, the perfect night - partially orchestrated by him - and how happy Pam looked when she once again placed her head on his shoulder. He thinks about Niagara, about the boat and the torn veil and the cut tie and her head on his shoulder for the first time as a married couple.

Jim told himself a long time ago that he wouldn't prank so much if Pam didn't love them. He used to think of his pranks as an escape for her, and for himself. He felt like she wasn't as happy until they pulled a good one on Dwight, and her hiccup-y laugh would echo around in his head. And even though he doesn't think she needs an escape quite as often now - he certainly doesn't - these stupid games bring them closer together every time. It's such a stupid thing, to be brought together by being horribly mean to a co-worker.

But then, the co-worker is Dwight, so really, it makes sense.

Jim has always known that Pam gets jealous. Whenever he would date anyone else, before they got together, Pam always had just a twinge of jealousy. He wonders if it has something to do with the way Roy would talk about other women in front of her. Conversely, aside from the Hillary Swank debate, Jim never really talks about other women. He has no need to: Pam is everything he's ever wanted in a girl. Even with her flaws, she's still perfect.

When she's 9 months pregnant and get jealous over her own replacement, Jim refuses to give in. First of all, he swore to himself, back when Roy and Pam were still together, that if he ever had a chance to be with Pam, he'd never talk about other women in front of her. Not that he would anyway, but he saw her reaction first hand whenever Roy had done it, and he didn't want to ever be the cause of that. Second, just a few weeks ago, Pam was crying over a dog commercial. So, telling her that he thinks any other woman on this planet is attractive is basically the last thing he wants to do right now.

He can't believe she's teamed up with Dwight for this. She's being irrational, really. Anything that involves teaming up with Dwight is bound to be trouble. They're at a drugstore in the middle of the day because of this madness, oh my GOD.

Dwight calls him a liar and Jim is feeling a bit scared because he really doesn't need Pam to be-

High blood pressure?

Pam softens and she's gone from worried about Jim cheating on her or whatever she thinks is going to happen, to worried about Jim going to the doctor.

"I'm around for the long haul," he tells her, and he's got so many meanings behind his words. Of course he doesn't plan on dying, but he also wants to make sure that he's gotten it through her head that he's not going anywhere. Pam and their kids are his number one priority, always. Nothing could change that.

She leaves soon after that, to stay home with a whining, jealous, attention seeking toddler and a newborn baby. And, just like the last time she was gone, Jim misses her. He misses her every time he looks at her desk and sees Kathy instead. He might actually miss her more with Robert California in charge than he ever did with Michael in charge.

Robert is such a confusing man, and Jim is eternally kicking himself a little bit for picking him as the branch manager, which then catapulted him into the CEO position. And now, here's Robert, making him miss Pam even more.

Jim honestly doesn't understand why anyone wouldn't want their spouse working with them. It's not like Robert is sleeping with anyone in the office - he thinks - so there's nothing to hide. And maybe Jim is biased because Pam is his best friend, and has been for ages, and they met right here in this office. And he's seen Michael fall in love with Holly, seen...whatever weird thing is going on with Kelly and Ryan. He saw two totally different men fall in love with Angela. Working with someone you love shouldn't ever be a curse. It's actually kind of awesome.

"To be really honest, my wife works here and I love it. She literally makes me work harder. she makes me smarter. she makes me remember why I'm here. Between us, she's on maternity leave right now and I would love to leave this room and see her face. I would love it."

He's never missed her more in his life, and he really needs to to be 5:00 so he can go home and kiss her, kiss his kids, and remind himself how damn lucky he is.

It kind of sucks not having Pam in the office for Christmas. He loves exchanging gifts with her in the office so they can focus on the kids on the actual day of Christmas. He loves thinking about all of the Christmases they've spent here together.

He stares at the card, the one from what feels like a different lifetime. He still hasn't found the right moment to give it to her. He considered it when she was jealous over Kathy, but that was solved so quickly and easily. He know she's stressed right now, home with the kids all day. She could use a pick-me-up, but he just doesn't think the card is right for the job.

He needs a really special moment for this baby. He knows he could have just thrown it out after he took it from the teapot box. Or when they finally got together. Or a million times after that. But he didn't, because he knows he needs to give it to her.

He just needs the right time.

Normally, Jim will take almost any excuse to stay home from work, or even just not work while he's at work. Jim is a lot of things, but he just isn't a hard worker by nature. At least not at Dunder Mifflin.

So, when the kids are really driving Pam insane, Jim knows he needs to stay home with her. Faking jury duty probably isn't the smartest idea, but it's the best he's got.

He did not anticipate being missed so much. Really though, he should have. When he and Pam were on their honeymoon, they got phone calls from the office almost every single day. So his absence clearly makes a bigger difference than he cares to admit.

He's not used to having the whole office hate him. He remembers getting them locked in after working late. He remembers being co-manager, making mistake after mistake and hiding in his office. Naming himself employee of the month through Dwight's weird, convoluted prank.

He brings out the big guns: the kids.

He's hoping that seeing how cute they are will cheer everyone up, but he's only made them more angry and now Cece's crying and Philip's wailing and he feels so bad for using his own kids like this, and poor Pam now has to go home and deal with them being all cranky-

And then they send him home. And while, no, it certainly is not a vacation being at home with two very cranky children under the age of five, he's so grateful that he gets to spend time with his wife and their perfect kids.

Also, he reminds himself to buy some extra flowers for Pam for...all of the stuff she must put up with while he's not around. Yikes.

Jim really doesn't want to go to Florida. Of all of the things Jim wants to do in his life right at this moment, leaving his wife and children in Pennsylvania while he goes to Florida to work on some pointless Sabre project is like...absolute last on the list. Right after going kayaking with Dwight.

He's trying to make the best of it, just relaxing in an all-expense-paid hotel room, watching basketball. It's nice being able to watch an entire game without having to feed a toddler, change a diaper, pacify Cece because she's going through some jealous phase over her new brother, and a million other interruptions.

He'd never change his domestic life with Pam for anything, but it is nice to get away, that's all he's saying.

When Kathy shows up, Jim is...uncomfortable. He thinks about how jealous Pam was, just of Kathy's existence, But Kathy is cool, so Jim just inches his way onto the floor and lets her hang out and watch some basketball.

He tries so many times to get her out of the room, or to get someone else in. He feels so weird and oh God he takes back everything he said about not wanting to look at Cece's drawings or not wanting to burp Philip or whatever the hell the kids are doing right now because anything would be better than this.

Kathy is showering in his room. There is no way this can end well. Jim really isn't a cocky guy, you know, but he also knows what it looks like when someone's flirting with him. He knows that he's in a state several hours away from his wife, that some guys - Stanley - would take full advantage of that and be incredibly gross. But Jim is not gross and he has never, not once, thought about being with anyone besides his wife.

"I'm married," he tells Kathy and she seems genuinely offended by his accusations. Okay, maybe he's just being crazy. Maybe Pam's insecurities from when she was pregnant got inside his head and he's imagining things that aren't there.

But Kathy's head is on his shoulder and he is almost falling off the bed and oh God he wishes it were Pam's head instead. He tries to think calming thoughts, thinks of all of his good moments with Pam, thinks of the moments his kids were born, thinks of what they're all doing right that moment. He thinks about how much he loves his wife because otherwise he is literally going to go insane.

When she takes off the robe, he knows she's up to no good. He had hoped things were going to end once he got off the bed, but she's clearly determined-

Jim has never been so happy to see Dwight as he is when he busts in with some weird bug repellant and literally chases Kathy out of the room.

Dwight's not even that bad of a roommate, oddly enough. Huh. How about that.

Chapter End Notes:
Is is just me or is Kathy THE WORST?

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans