- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Almost the longest chapter thus far! You all know what happens at the end ;)

Disagreeing is rare for Jim and his fiance (God he loves saying that). Sometimes they disagree on colors for the carpet, the wood to use for the cabinets, whose car to take to work. He usually defaults to Pam because she has better taste and because her car gets better mileage.

But he hates that copier. Maybe the fact that he's spent so much time standing at reception over the years has affected how little he cares about his chair, but nothing could change the way he feels about that copier. His co-workers look at him in disbelief when he and Pam take opposing sides.

In some weird way, this just cements their relationship for him. People see them as so perfect together, that they could never possibly disagree. And they rarely do, truly. But this is non-negotiable.

The copier has to go.

When Pam teases him - is she teasing? - about choosing the wrong side, he is both fascinated and scared. Pam is a force to be reckoned with when she's serious about something - that microwave never did get cleaned - and he knows she hates her chair. But Jim hates asking Pam for anything at work, and he can't stand that copier for one more day.

He deals with Michael's weird comments about their waitress - he laughs them off. He's thinking about the last time he went out to lunch with Michael to convince Michael not to tell the whole office about his crush on Pam.

Ah, how times have changed. Or not: he's still only out to lunch with the World's Weirdest Boss because he needs something from him. He'd feel bad, but his brain still hurts from that dinner party he was roped into.

When Oscar gives into Pam and they go for the chairs, he's both disappointed and relieved. He's a bit scared of what Pam would have done if the copier had won the battle for the surplus. So he decides to play her at her own game: he asks her for three - no, make it four - copies.

That'll show her.

Every Christmas Jim spends at Dunder Mifflin, he's reminded of the teapot. He's reminded of the yearbook photo, of Pam sitting in his bed at his old apartment. He's reminded of the card.

While the ring is no longer burning a hole in his pocket, the card is still sealed, waiting for the right moment to be delivered. Jim knows he could easily just hand Pam the card any Christmas, any anniversary, any holiday, and that would be that. But he can't help but think that there's a special occasion waiting for that card. Waiting for Pam to know how long Jim has felt exactly how he feels right now, and how lucky he knows he is to finally have Pam.

Moroccan Christmas is...unlike any other Christmas Jim has ever seen. Not just because of the party, but because of Meredith's intervention. And because, well…

"Angela's having sex with Dwight."

Jim thinks back to that same party, the one where Pam sat on his bed and peeked through his yearbook and he started imagining a future that becomes more realistic every day. He thinks back to when Pam first told him she thought something was going on with Dwight and Angela and how weird of a couple he thought they would be.

He thinks back to the day he saw them making out and decided not to tell anyone, not even Pam, because he owed Dwight one for stopping Roy from stomping his head in.

He thinks back to when he told Pam about Dwight and Angela - a moment he thought for sure would cause her jaw to hit the floor - and she already knew.

In a weird way, this whole thing with Dwight and Angela has been there every step of the way through his convoluted roller coaster ride with Pam. It seems only right that Angela would be engaged to one man, but in love with another.

He purposely erases the fact that Phyllis caught them doing...whatever Dwight and Angela do...in this very office.

It's Christmas, after all.

A month later, Pam isn't in a great place. Jim is worried about her constantly. Her parents are going through some stuff, and he's struggling to find the right balance between too involved and not involved enough. He really only cares about Pam's parents because they're Pam's parents. So he focuses most of his energy on Pam herself.

She's obviously upset, and Michael's weird stress relief techniques are having the opposite effect on her. Jim tries to cheer her up, to support her, anything, but her worry lines remain and her smile is in hiding.

She asks him to help, because apparently Jim is easy for Pam's dad to talk to, but Jim somehow makes things worse. He spends the whole day horrified at whatever he could have said to make Pam's dad take that final step in leaving Pam's mom.

What he wouldn't give to go back to that first time he'd seen Pam's mom, all those years ago, when all he was to her was a guy Pam talked about even though she was engaged to someone else.

Okay no, he doesn't want to go back that far, but at least then she and Pam didn't hate him.

He can't focus on anything, can't say the right thing to Pam. He stares at Pam more than usual, trying to get her to talk to him, look at him, something. But she doesn't budge, until the next thing he knows, she's outside talking to her dad. He meets her by the elevator, wanting to have a minute alone with her before she has to go back and face the office again.

It's his fault. And in those three seconds before she speaks again, he imagines a future without Pam in it. A future in which he somehow screwed up so badly that she can't forgive him. A future where she leaves him, leaves her job, and he never sees her again. He can't stomach that-

"Yeah. He said that you told him how much you love me. About how you feel when I walk in a room and about how you've never doubted for a second that I'm the woman you want to spend the rest of your life with. I guess he's never felt that with my mom, even at their best."

Oh.

And they're hugging, and Pam is okay. Because Jim said something wonderful and if it meant that Pam's parents weren't meant to be, then fine, because Jim and Pam are damn sure meant to be, and they've never been so sure of that until this moment.


Soulmates is not a word that Pam uses lightly. After spending far too much time with someone she thought was her soulmate - in a young, high school, first love kind of way - she doubted it was ever a word she would use again.

But Jim is different. Jim is everything and Jim is the only person she trusts with anything in her life. Even before they were dating, back when she was dumb and then he was taken, even then she trusted him more than anyone.

That's why she's both glad and very scared she's going to see Karen while she's on this trip with Michael.

Pam knows that Karen and Jim weren't soulmates. She strongly suspects that even if Pam weren't in the picture, their relationship wouldn't have been perfect. She doesn't dwell on it, since it was so far in the past, but times like now, when she's faced with the idea of staring Karen right in the eye, it crosses her mind.

She's scared because what if Karen thinks they were soulmates. What if Karen thinks that Pam is this horrible, mean woman who came along and stole Jim right out from under her?

Pam doesn't like that idea.

But then Karen is pregnant and Pam is so happy. She's happy because, thank God, Karen isn't sitting in her office in Utica, pining over Jim.

When they talk about Karen's husband, and their dorky relationship, and Jim and Pam's engagement, Pam is suddenly relieved and almost wishing Karen could come back to Scranton.

She thinks about the fun they had, before the whole beach day incident, before it came out that Jim had had a crush on Pam. She remembers teaming up with Karen to take down Angela. And she really misses Karen. She definitely understands why Jim dated her - she thinks about talking to him about coming up to Utica to visit sometime. Would it be weird? Maybe at first, but wow, Pam is so happy and Karen is so happy.

Pam wants to share that feeling, which is why she insists on going to Nashua.

It turns out to be a trainwreck, as most outings with Michael are. But Pam feels for him. She knows what it was like when Jim was dating Karen and she wouldn't wish that on anyone.

She feels for him a little bit less when he steals the file, but she's also nosy, so she reads the letter herself.

Pam is not one to give false hope to someone. She accidentally gave false hope to Jim when she was engaged to Roy and still flirting with her now-fiance. She felt awful about it for a year.

So when she tells Michael how Holly feels, she does so because Michael deserves to have that small piece of real hope to hold onto in his heart. Pam wonders if she'd have gotten through those months of Jim being with Karen if she'd known he still felt that way about her.

She doesn't have to wonder anymore, and hopefully one day Michael won't either.


Every Valentine's Day that goes by, Jim thinks about the year when Pam got nothing, and how she looked so excited every time a new delivery came, only to be disappointed. Jim never wants her to be that disappointed in her life, so he always gets her something. It's never big - especially now with a house to pay for and a wedding to plan - but he knows Pam doesn't want a giant teddy bear or 45 different flower arrangements, turning her desk into its own floral shop.

Jim mostly gets Pam flowers so that she always knows that he cares, and that no matter what situation they're in, she's special and wonderful, and she deserves the whole world, or whatever piece of it he can give to her.

Their lunch with the Vances starts out so nice - Jim and Pam don't have a whole lot of "couple" friends, so it's nice to go out and be a normal couple hanging out with another normal couple.

It's just a shame that Bob and Phyllis aren't normal and that they need to do things in a public bathroom and oh God Jim cannot think about this anymore-

Jim and Pam still don't disagree on much, even now, even living together and planning a wedding and everything else. Jim mostly just wants Pam to be happy, in every situation.

They do, however, disagree on dating advice.

Jim thinks back to his conversation with Michael about Holly. He thinks about how he told Michael to take it slow, be her friend first, and then go from there. He thinks about how Michael didn't listen.

He also thinks about how he was in for the long game - how he waited years to tell Pam how he felt, and how happy he is now.

There's a small part of his brain telling him he could have had all of this sooner, but could he have? He thinks about that Chili's kiss, about all the fights they had afterwards because he thinks that was the moment when everything changed. He thinks about his months with Karen, avoiding Pam like the plague because he still had feelings for her. If he'd talked to her then, would that have made a difference?

It doesn't matter. Jim did what Jim did and Jim thinks that works. So he tells Kevin to take it really slow with this new girl he's into. Pam disagrees.

It's the first time he really thinks about what actually could have happened if he'd kissed her sooner, if he'd broken up with Karen sooner, if he'd done anything at all sooner.

But truthfully, it doesn't matter. Because what he did brought him to where he is. With Pam next to him and his ring on her finger instead of some jackass who didn't have a clue how to treat her.

Doesn't matter. Never will.

For what might be the first time ever, Jim uses the word 'career' when talking about Dunder Mifflin.

He's scared of this new boss, Charles. He made a fool of himself from the get-go. His easy-going charm and hard work won over Jan Levinson ages before he asked for the Stamford transfer. Conversely, Ryan had hated Jim from long before he'd gotten the promotion.

Charles is a chance to start fresh, with someone who has no pre-existing opinions, and he's gone and worn a tuxedo and tried to make jokes about it.

Great.

And in his fear, he remembers the probation sentence from Ryan, remembers trying to imagine buying a house without his current salary. And for the first time, he realizes that Dunder Mifflin is his career. And he might lose it.

Things don't get better for him when his fiance leaves to join Michael's weird paper company project. As proud of Pam as he is - no more sales, wow. Ambitious. He loves that about her - he's also not looking any better in Charles's eyes at this point.

He hates not working with her. He knows that she's in the same building as him, that he'll get to see her at 5PM sharp and drive home - to their home - with her. But he still misses her. He especially misses her the more Charles hates him. And when Charles asks him for whatever a 'rundown' is, he really wants to just run down to that storage closet downstairs and ask her.

But she's on her own adventure. And just like when she was in New York, he won't take that from her. At least this time, she still comes home with him at the end of the day.

As always, Jim misses Pam the most when it's time to mess with someone. When Andy starts questioning Jim's relationship with the love of his life, Jim knows this can go one of two ways: he can tell Andy how he really feels, really give it to him, because who the hell is Andy Bernard to question Jim and Pam and their love for each other? Or, he can mess with Andy, tell him that he's right, and see how long he can string him along.

By the end of it, though, he does feel bad for Andy. He knows Andy has been hurt - badly - by Angela and the entire situation that transpired. He knows there are still hints of it everywhere - the honeymoons, the deposits he still hasn't gotten back, the fact that both Dwight and Angela still work in the same room. And Jim sympathizes with him, the way he sympathized with Dwight so long ago when Dwight was heartbroken over the very same woman (Jim doesn't have the energy to ponder what power Angela has over these men).

"Pam and I are very happy together," he tells Andy. And then he gives him a little pep talk. Because Andy is a good guy, and Andy deserves happiness, and Andy deserves to have what Jim and Pam have.

But if Andy ever questions Jim and Pam's relationship again, things will go down very differently.

When the opportunity comes up for Pam to come right on back to Dunder Mifflin, Jim will not screw it up, nor will he let anyone else.

He obviously knows that the Michael Scott Paper Company is in trouble, because Pam tells him literally everything. But David and Dwight and Charles don't need to know that Michael's tiny, weird, closet-based company is failing. Not if their ignorance of that fact brings Pam back to him.

It feels good to successfully get his wife back under the same fluorescent lights, instead of the ones on the bottom floor. It also feels good to stick it to Charles a little bit, since Charles has been honestly disrupting everything about the office, as far as Jim is concerned.

But mostly he gets Pam back. And she's in sales and he is so proud of her he could scream. Ever since that beach day, Pam hasn't stopped standing up for herself, and every day, he loves that just a little bit more.

He doesn't love it when Michael asks him to help him choose between Pam and Ryan.

First of all, Pam pays half the mortgage so...obviously, yes, he would like for her to be making salesperson money. But also Pam has the drive and the ambition, and she has Jim to teach her how it's done, dammit. And Pam deserves this chance. Ryan had his chance. By Jim's count, three times now? And he's failed every single time.

When Pam gets the job, Jim can't stop smiling. She goes to sit down at her desk - the desk that used to be his, the desk right next to him - and they high five. And it's such a simple, silly thing. But their high fives, their way of saying "great job, I'm so proud of you, look at what you accomplished, I love you," have always been from across that giant space between Jim's desk and reception. This high five is their first as neighbors. And Jim is just going to love getting used to that idea.

"You know what I wanna do today? I wanna marry you," he says to her. She's just come into the kitchen. She's disheveled and a mess and she still has her glasses on. She hasn't had her coffee, but that sure wakes her up.

He's taking a risk here. He remembers on the booze cruise, all those years ago, when Pam had the chance to marry Roy on a boat, married by a sea captain, and she said no. She'd wanted her family there, she'd said.

But he still says it. Because God he wants literally nothing on this planet more than he wants to be Pam's husband. He's wanted it from the moment he met her, from the day they sat down to lunch. And that want has only grown as their friendship, and then their relationship, has grown. He knows they have a real wedding being planned but he just doesn't want to wait anymore.

And she agrees. And he feels like the luckiest guy in the whole world. He can't wait to marry this woman he's been in love with for as long as he can remember.

So it's also strange when he doesn't feel disappointed when she changes her mind. They're having a blast at this crazy disco Michael has created, and Pam just looks so happy. And he knows it's not because she doesn't want to marry him - he's left behind those doubts, finally. Instead, it's because she wants to do the YMCA and for her dad to walk her down the aisle and for all their friends to dance just like this in a reception hall while she wears a white dress.

And Jim pictures that, their real wedding, and he wants it, too. Truthfully, he doesn't care how he marries Pam. He just wants to do it, wants to put those rings on their fingers and make it official for the rest of their lives. He'd have a wedding right on the surface of the sun if it meant he'd get to marry Pam Beesly.

So they wait.

When the company picnic comes around, there are about a million reasons that Jim doesn't want to be there. As he's mentioned at least half a million times over the years, he doesn't like to spend non-work time thinking about work things. And this is very non-work time and he's doing very work-related things.

Yes, it's supposed to be fun and games, but having Charles there breathing down his neck makes it feel much more serious than it is.

Pam is the one who seems to be having fun. Her competitive side has come out, and Jim...kind of likes it. He's always preferred this Pam who stands up for herself, and this goes right along with that side of her. God, he loves her.

When she twists her ankle, he really is worried. But he also knows - or he hopes? - that Pam wouldn't say she was fine if she were in pain. But the ribbing from Charles is enough, and he won't stand for anyone telling him that he's ever putting anything ahead of Pam. Pam's been his number one priority for longer than she's even been aware of it. So, fine, he picks her up - and yeah, okay, he's showing off a little bit - and carries her past all of those corporate jerks and back to the car.

Dwight spends ages rushing him, as if he has any control over how quickly the doctors and nurses at this hospital can move. As if he has any control over anything, at this point.

He gets called in for an update and her ankle is fine and he's listening to the doctor and then the entire world stops spinning.

She's what?

There have been a lot of imaginary scenarios that Jim has cooked up for his future with Pam. And they all involved marriage, kids, and sometimes a dog. They involved domestic bliss, just him and his perfect wife and their perfect family.

From the minute he asked Pam on that first date two years ago, he knew that they were it for each other. He had total confidence that this thing was going to go the distance. He'd had his moments of doubt, on certain occasions, or during times of trouble, but they'd come through every one of those moments together, stronger.

But during every single one of his imagined futures, all of these thoughts of bliss and happy endings, he'd never once imagined how he'd feel in the moment when he found out that Pam was pregnant.

He'd always thought about the "after". The lazy Sundays, home with the kids, or teaching them to play baseball or soccer or Pam teaching them how to paint.

But in this moment, in a hospital room, where they'd just been trying to make sure that Pam hadn't hurt her ankle...he'd never prepared himself for this very moment.

He doesn't want to stop touching her, stop hugging her. He wants this moment, this quiet, serene moment in a hospital room when the camera crew can't hear them and his co-workers are far away, distracted by volleyball, to last forever.

He steps out to call Dwight - because Pam tells him to. But then he is right back there with her, in minutes. He loves her so damn much and she is giving him this amazing thing - she is holding a little half-Jim, half-Pam baby inside of her. He gets to hold that baby in a few months. He's thinking about baseball and ballet and art and wall colors and he's hugging Pam and they're both crying because…holy crap.

They're having a baby.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans