- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Jim picks up Pam for their date. 

Pam’s “super fancy hotel suite” is little more than a Queen Size bed, but Jim can’t imagine a place he would rather be. There’s not much room for him to stand, due to the fact that Pam’s entire bed is bordered by suitcases and plastic and cloth bags bursting with belongings. She’s moved her entire life into this room. Pam carefully removes the plastic from around the bouquet of daisies, breaking off the ends of the stems. Once she does this, she places the flowers in a glass filled with water that she makes a big show of setting on her nightstand, before plopping down on the edge of her bed and beaming up at him. He beams right back at her, even though he feels a little awkward just standing in her room with his shoes on.

“So, Beesly. It’s quite a place you’ve got here.”

“Yeah, it’s really…something.” She looks down at her toes, embarrassed. “I have the room booked through all of next week, and I have appointments to see a different apartment every night.”

“Wow, Pam, I’ve gotta hand it to you. You move fast! You’ve got to be careful though, not to get ripped off.”

“Oh, yeah?”

“Yeah. Don’t settle for any less than an apartment with at least three kitchens.”

“And why would I need three kitchens?”

“Beesly, don’t make me spell it out for you. You need at least one kitchen per meal a day. Anything less than that and you’ve been totally taken for a ride.”

“Wow, well, I’ve been warned.”

“You’re welcome.” He smirks at her.

“So…what’re the plans for dinner? I haven’t eaten since breakfast, and even then all I had was an apple.”

“Pam!” He is genuinely concerned. “Why didn’t you eat anything?”

“I didn’t get much sleep last night. It was weird sleeping by myself, and I finally conked out in the morning for a few hours, but I ended up missing the continental breakfast. By the time l got downstairs, all I could really grab was an apple.”

“Yikes, well we need to get some food in you, pronto. You don’t want to keel over.”

Pam giggles. “No, we wouldn’t want that.”

He cocks his head towards the door, hands in pockets. “Come on.”

She shakes her head at him, slipping on her socks and Keds. “You know, you still haven’t told me where we’re going.”

“Hmmm, well, could it be that it’s a surprise? Oh yeah, it is.”

Laughing, Pam grabs her purse and a pink cardigan, in case she gets cold later. “Why would it be a surprise? It’s just dinner.”

He clutches his heart, feigning hurt. “Just dinner? Pam, this is most certainly not just dinner. This is our first date. Or…” He gives her a look, and she smiles up at him. “Is it our second date?” He knows they’re both remembering that night up on the roof of Scranton Business Park, his famous grilled cheese sandwiches, Dwight’s pitiful fireworks display, swaying together while listening to his I-Pod.

“No, this is our first date.”

He’s vaguely disappointed by her answer. Pam must be able to see it on his face, because she hastens to add, “Now it’s right. Now there’s nothing in our way.”

He grins at her affectionately, holding his arm out to her. “M’lady.” She places her left hand in the crook of his elbow, and she lets him lead her out of the hotel room and into his Corolla. 

Chapter End Notes:
Next chapter: The first date! 

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans