- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Part One of the first date! Eeeek!

“Hey!,” Pam nudges his side with her elbow. “The Glider Diner? That’s the big surprise?”

‘Uh, yeah.” He smirks at her as he parks. “I hope that’s okay. I just wanted a place where we could…” He drifts off. “Talk.,” He finishes, upon seeing Pam’s smile.

“Talking’s good. And I love the Glider.”

“That’s what I like to hear.” He hurries to get out of the car before her so he can open her door, grinning. Pam looks mildly surprised at the gesture, which makes him grin all the more. She’ll just have to get used to him treating her like a princess. He’s certainly not going to stop anytime soon…or ever, for that matter. He will open doors for her for as long as she lets him. The rest of their lives, he hopes.

“Why thank you, Jim. Such a gentleman.” She blushes as she steps out of the car, leaving her cardigan on the seat.

“Only the best for my Beesly.” They make their way inside, motioning to the hostess that they would like a table for two. A waitress seats them at a booth in the corner, and they hold hands across the table. “So…,” he starts, running his thumb over the fingers on her left hand.

“So…,” she replies.

“So…,” he blushes, “What are you in the mood for? Anything coming to mind?”

“Um, let’s see. I know it’s a totally unoriginal order, especially at a diner, but I think I’m gonna go with a burger. Ooo, and a chocolate shake!”

“Ooo, nice. I like it!”

“What’re you gonna get?”

“Mmmm, I’m probably gonna get a Tuna Melt. Annnd cheese fries.”

“Ooo, I’m getting cheese fries too!”

“Copy me, why don’t ya?” He delivers mock-accusingly. They both chuckle nervously, and he smiles at her, feeling like a schoolboy on a date with the cutest girl in school. “Let’s do it.” The waitress returns with glasses of ice water and menus, and starts to rattle off the specials. They politely nod throughout her whole spiel, waiting for an opening. She pauses to take a breath, and Jim takes advantage. 

“Hey, I think we actually know what we want.” He points at Pam. The waitress looks pissed off, but Jim continues politely. “The lady will have a Cheeseburger Deluxe with a side of cheese fries.”

“How would you like that cooked?,” The waitress directs at Pam.

“Um, Well done, please?” Pam looks embarrassed.

“Oh, come on, Pam! That’s not how you have a burger.”

“I don’t want to get sick.” She looks down at her lap.

“You’re not gonna get sick. Trust me – You’ve got to have it at least Medium.”

The waitress sighs dramatically.

“I can’t help it if I like it the way I like it.”

“Hey – That’s fine. You can have it Well done.” He turns to the waitress desperately. “You heard the lady,” He tries to lighten the mood. “One Well done cheeseburger deluxe. A side of cheese fries. And,” he pauses dramatically, “best of all – A chocolate milkshake.”

The waitress scribbles down the order, looking like she’d rather be anywhere else. “And you?,” she looks over at Jim.

“I’ll do a Tuna Melt. Also a side of cheese fries.”

“Anything to drink?”

“Uh, do you guys still not serve coke here?”

“We have Pepsi or Diet Pepsi.”

“Yeah… So not the same thing.” The waitress is practically glaring. “Okay, let’s do a Root Beer.”

“Anything else?”

“That’s it.”

 “Coming right up.” She rushes away from their booth, and the both of them let out breaths of air they didn’t realize they were holding at the exact same time. Then they burst out laughing. 

Chapter End Notes:
Keep reading! 

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans