- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
The end of the first date!

They kiss without interruption for several more minutes, until Pam lightly pushes at Jim’s chest. He pulls back immediately. “Hey, you okay?”

“Yeah.” She’s a bit breathless. “It’s just…This is only our first date. And, well, I’ve only been with one other person in my entire life. Is it…I want to take things slowly. Is that okay?”

“That’s fine.,” He reassures her, kissing her nose, and then both of her cheeks. “I can be patient.”

Pam smiles at him with tears in her eyes. 

“What’s wrong?,” He asks, concerned.

“Nothing‘s wrong.”

“Why do you look like you’re about to cry?”

“I’m not, I swear. I’m just happy.”

“Me too.” He suddenly squeezes her body to him tightly, breathing in the perfume of her hair. Pam returns his embrace enthusiastically, and he rolls them so he is on his back and she is on top of him, their bodies still wrapped around each other.

“I don’t want to go to work tomorrow.,” She sighs.

“I know.”

“I wish we could play hookie together.,” Her voice is muffled by his shoulder.

“Whoa, look at Fancy New Beesly, breaking all the rules.,” He strokes her back reverently.

“I don’t know how I’m gonna get any sleep without you here.”

“Well…technically speaking, you don’t have to.” He gently moves her off of him and props himself up on his elbow to look at her.

Pam looks slightly stunned. “You can’t stay here.,” She gestures around the small space. “You don’t have any of your things, and we have work tomorrow.”

“Well, the way I see it, there are three options. One. I could stay here with you tonight and wake up early enough to shower, change my clothes, and drive us both to work. Two. I could run home really quickly and pack a bag so I’ll have clothes in the morning to wear to work, and like, a toothbrush and stuff. Then we wake up tomorrow and can go to work together. Or Three. You pack a bag and we can both go back to my place for tonight. Up to you.”

“Wow, you really think of everything.”

“Always.”

“Um…I dunno, this room doesn’t seem so bad now that you’re here, and we do have privacy. Not that I don’t think Mark is a nice guy.,” She hurries to add.

“No, you’re right. You’re very right. Privacy is good. Okay, so I’ll just run over really quickly to pick up a change of clothes and I’ll be back. Try not to miss me too much while I’m gone.”

“You’re really staying?”

He leans over to kiss her. “If you’ll let me.”

“How long will it take you to pack a bag and come back?”

“30 minutes, tops.” He shoves on his sweater. “Do you want me to bring you back anything?” He sits on the edge of the bed to get his shoes on.

“No thanks.”

“You sure? What about that dessert? I’m not even sure that a Holiday Inn Express offers room service.”

She giggles. “Uhhhh, surprise me.”

“Happily.”

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Pam’s head is resting on his chest, the two of them lying fully clothed (minus shoes, socks, and his sweater) under the covers. Together, they had polished off the chocolate chip cookies that Jim had brought back earlier. Pam’s favorite. “I’m so glad you came back.”

“Beesly! I was always gonna come back.”

“I know. I mean, I’m so glad you’re staying the night. I don’t know how I’m ever gonna live by myself. I think I need people too much. And I don’t care if that’s anti-feminist or whatever.”

“It’s not. And who cares if you’d rather have a roommate? Most people do.”

“Yeah.”

“So, you think you’ll look into roommates?”

“I dunno. All of my appointments are for studios, so having a roommate would be kinda difficult.” Unless that roommate was me.

“Well, we’ll figure it out. You’ll be fine whatever you end up doing.”

 “Thanks.” She squeezes him tightly. “Okay, I’m gonna shower and change before I fall asleep here.”

“Hey, there could be worse things.,” He offers.

“Oh, stop.” And she hops out of bed, grabbing her bag of pharmaceuticals and pajamas on her way to the bathroom. “Try not to miss me too much while I’m gone.,” She winks, before closing and locking the door.

Nearly 45 minutes later, Pam emerges from the bathroom, steam billowing behind her. She’s wearing her flannel pajamas and her glasses, and her hair is wrapped in a towel.

“Damn, Beesly! You were in there for an hour at least.”

“No way.,” She argues, putting her things away and getting settled in the bed once again, turning to face him.

“I’m barely exaggerating.”

“I like long showers.,” She shrugs. “They calm me down.”

“Apparently.”

“Are you gonna take one?,” She asks around a yawn.

“Nope. Strictly a morning shower-er.”

“Well that works out.”

“Yup.”

“Oh boy, I can only imagine what people will say at work tomorrow.”

“…Yeah. Well, who cares about them? I’ll be there – It’ll be fine.”

“I know it’ll eventually be fine, but what are we gonna tell them?” 

“Well, we don’t have to tell them anything necessarily.”

“You don’t think they’re gonna figure it out when I come in without a ring? Plus, word will spread quickly in the warehouse.”

“Then we’ll just be honest.”

“We?”

“Yes…”

“About…you and me?”

“Well, yeah, unless you don’t want to be.”

“What will we tell them?,” She looks down.

“I don't wanna speak for you, Pam. But I don’t want to date anyone else." Her eyes dart up to meet his. You know how I feel about you – That hasn’t changed.”

“I know, and I -”

“I don’t expect you to feel the same way, not yet, but I just want you to know where I stand.”

“I do.,” She leans over and kisses him on the cheek.

“Mmm, what's that for?"

“For being amazing."  

“I should be amazing more often.," He pecks her lips gently.

“I don't wanna date anyone else either."

“Okay, so let's not.," He shrugs.

 “Okay.," She answers easily.

“So," Jim wiggles out from under the covers, standing up and stretching out his long limbs. Why don’t you find something on TV while I use the bathroom really quickly?”

“Sure.” Pam flips through channels carelessly as Jim disappears into the bathroom. When he returns, clad in sweats and a dark T-shirt, breath minty fresh from toothpaste, the TV is on TNT and it looks like some crappy thriller is playing.

“What’s this?” He asks, chuckling, scooching next to her under the covers.

“I don’t even know, but it looks really bad.”

“Ooo, perfect.”

She leans her head on his shoulder, and he feels like he could end his night exactly this way every night for the rest of his life, and that would be enough. 

Chapter End Notes:
More chapters to follow! Anticipate some drama. 

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans