- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Jim returns from his late-night shopping trip.

His eyebrows rise in surprise. Who is she on the phone with? Surely not Roy? He doesn’t want her talking to him, even though he knows she has to, has to officially leave him. He tries unsuccessfully to quash the possessiveness he feels about her. She isn’t his to claim, not yet, can’t be, not when Roy still thinks they’re getting married. He turns to lock the door, putting on the chain as if that will somehow stop Pam from ever leaving and facing the very real reality of a nearly 10-year-long relationship coming to an end.

“I have to go. I will.” Pam hangs up the phone and gives him her full attention.

Jim takes a deep breath. “Hi,” He says on the exhale, strolling over to the couch to drop the plastic bag from the drug store by her feet. “Who was that?,” He tries to ask as nonchalantly as possible.  

“Oh, it was my mom.”

Jim’s eyebrows shoot up again. He’s more than a little worried about what Pam’s parents might think about her choosing to leave Roy, her fiancé, who she has been engaged to for years and in a relationship with for even longer, and then staying the night at her male coworker’s house, of all places, without even officially ending the relationship.

“Oh yeah? What’d you two talk about?”

“Oh, everything. She knows, and she’s gonna help me. She's coming to Scranton tomorrow with my dad to help me talk to Roy and get my things. She’s gonna handle canceling the wedding, calling all of the guests, returning the gifts.”

“Wow, that’s uh, that’s amazing! See? I told you that you weren’t alone here.”

“I know - I’m glad I called. I already feel better knowing that I won’t have to go there alone.”

“Pam, you know I would have come with you. I still will.”

“I know, Jim, and I appreciate that, but I think I need to do as much of this as possible on my own. Well, not really on my own, with my parents, but you get what I’m saying. Plus, I’m not sure it’ll be a good idea for you to be there when I break the news to Roy.”

Jim thinks she has a point. Jim’s a big guy in terms of height, but Roy is both taller and more muscular than he is. He has no doubt that if Roy wants to do him harm, he will be more than able to. Still, his masculinity at stake, he adds, “I’m not worried about Roy, Pam. You’re all I care about. But, you know, you call the shots here. I’ll follow your lead. But just know that I’ve got your back 100%.” 

Pam smiles, both rows of pearly whites on display. She’s a stunner. “Thanks.”

“You got it, Beesly. By the way, I got you a contacts case, along with some girly deodorant.” He wiggles his eyebrows at her goofily.  “I didn’t think you’d want to use mine, although of course you’re more than welcome to.” He gestures to the bag in front of her.

Blushing slightly, Pam murmurs, “Great, thanks again.”

Jim waves away her thanks. “So, Beesly. The night is still young. What do you want to do tonight? I have a pretty decent movie collection and snacks if you’re interested.”

“Ooo, yes, whatcha got?”

“It’s probably better if you have a look for yourself. Check out those shelves over there, and I’ll bring us stuff to munch on.”

“Cool.” Pam springs up from the couch excitedly, the throw falling off of her and onto the ground in her haste.

Jim pulls out some microwavable popcorn and puts it in the microwave to pop. Then, he opens the freezer and pulls out the one large tub of Friendly’s chocolate ice cream and two spoons.

“Hey, Beesly,” He calls out to her. “Want anything to drink?”

“Honestly? Water’s fine. It’s been a….day.”

Jim chuckles. It’s been a day indeed. “Alright, two ice waters coming right up.”

Chapter End Notes:
I promise I will finish this story! Stay tuned for more!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans