- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Aftermath of Jim's first week.

 Standard disclaimer: I do not own the Office, any of the stories this is based on, or AOL. 

MorganLaFey: hey, sorry I haven’t been online for a few days

MorganLaFey: things have been really crazy here

MorganLaFey: how is the new job?

WScranton8: not sure?

WScranton8: I mean it’s crazy

WScranton8: but I think I’m used to that now? it’s a job

MorganLaFey: woah, high standards

WScranton8: yeah ;-)

WScranton8: I mean the work is boring

WScranton8: but the people are nuts

WScranton8: it felt like a rollercoaster?

MorganLaFey: tell me about it?

WScranton8: so my boss is exactly as crazy as I thought

WScranton8: and remember, I thought he was crazier than your boss

MorganLaFey: still don’t believe that, but go on

WScranton8: :-P anyway

WScranton8: and most of the rest of them are just as bad

WScranton8: do you remember CantBeetMe? from trivia?

MorganLaFey: the guy who always had to be right?

WScranton8: yeah

WScranton8: so the guy who sits across from me is exactly like that

WScranton8: and since we do the same job and it’s my first week…

MorganLaFey: oh dear

WScranton8: exactly

WScranton8: and there’s this lady who I swear is straight out of American Girl doll books, but like the ones about the bad old days in the 1800s

MorganLaFey: wait wait wait

MorganLaFey: you know American Girl dolls?

MorganLaFey: are you secretly a tween girl?

MorganLaFey: do we need to have an intervention?

WScranton8:  :-P I have female relatives

WScranton8: there’s like one normal girl there

WScranton8: and me now, I guess

MorganLaFey: woah now, let’s not get ahead of ourselves

MorganLaFey: who said you were normal? who’s been lying to you? ;-)

WScranton8: ANYWAY

WScranton8: so it’s a madhouse

MorganLaFey: so, did you make any new friends? Beetman? Dollgirl? Normal chick? I know you’re already best friends with the boss :-P

WScranton8: what is this, high school?

MorganLaFey: maybe

MorganLaFey: do you sit at the cool kid’s table and throw food at the geeks?

WScranton8: you know I am a geek

WScranton8: and on the first day I just sat on my own

WScranton8: second day I went out to lunch

WScranton8: that day might have involved food throwing, but I’ll never tell ;-)

WScranton8: and now I just kind of eat when everyone else does I guess

MorganLaFey: why would you have thrown food on the second day?

WScranton8: because I thought I had a date and then I didn’t

WScranton8: not the most fun experience

MorganLaFey: ooooooh tell tell tell

WScranton8: since when do we talk about this stuff, hm?

WScranton8: suffice to say she’s way out of my league and I should have realized she was already taken

MorganLaFey: :-(

WScranton8: yeah

WScranton8: but hey, maybe that’s the new friend you asked about

MorganLaFey: Dollgirl?

WScranton8:  No, normal chick

WScranton8: she’s pretty awesome, actually

MorganLaFey: she must be to be “out of your league”

WScranton8: she is

 

Jim stopped typing for a moment. The urge to unload his frustration to Morgan was high, but he also knew that he was very close to one of those areas they never talked about: their love lives. And particularly the fact that he was head over heels for this girl he’d never met—and that she clearly didn’t feel the same way about him. After all, it was her dating life—and his reaction to it—that had pushed the conversation to the point where they couldn’t be civil, and made them stop talking about their relationships at all. He hadn’t become a monk or anything; he’d gone on dates throughout college, and even had a couple of relationships long enough to stop counting the number of dates. But he hadn’t had anything really serious, and he was pretty sure she had. Which was another reason they didn’t really talk about this sort of stuff. He’d gotten really used to it, trying to date while knowing there was a wonderful woman he already knew who wasn’t interested in him. For a moment at Cugino’s he’d thought he’d finally had a breakthrough: here was a beautiful, hilarious woman who was actually out on a date with him! But then she’d mentioned “my fiancé, Roy,” and he’d noticed the little ring on her left finger (idiot!) and he’d only barely managed to avoid blurting out a number of obscenities as he realized he’d once again fallen into the trap. It was like he was a magnet for emotional pain.

 

He almost said what he was thinking—actually typed the words out, “she reminds me of you”—and then he chickened out. He knew that she’d ask why, and he’d have to answer, and their carefully constructed relationship might fall apart. So he deleted it and changed the subject.

 

WScranton8: so that’s my new job

WScranton8: what about you? anything new and exciting?

 

Pam looked at her screen in disbelief. She knew—knew—he hadn’t taken that long just to type that. There had to have been something more. But she wasn’t going to pry; they’d already strayed far into territory where they usually wouldn’t tread. After all, she still hadn’t told him she was engaged. What business did she have asking about his potential dates—much less failed ones that must be bothering him more than he’d let on. So she’d let him off the hook, this time. But she was certainly going to check in with him more in the next few weeks; it seemed like he needed a friend.

 

MorganLaFey: somethings new, nothing too exciting

MorganLaFey: my boss has been particularly crazy this week

MorganLaFey: keeping me super late for minor things, basically acting like a frat boy in a 40 year old’s body

MorganLaFey: and I have to clean up a lot of his messes, which is why I haven’t been on (sorry again!)

WScranton8: no worries

WScranton8: I’ve had some late nights at work too

WScranton8: this is actually my first night on since I started ;-)

MorganLaFey: lol

MorganLaFey: I guess you know how it is then :-)

WScranton8: yeah

WScranton8: so, want to unwind with some art history? I think there’s a game in TriviaZone on Art and Music tonight

WScranton8: we could tag-team

MorganLaFey: that sounds wonderful

MorganLaFey: but no bagging this time

WScranton8: aww :-P

MorganLaFey: :-)

Chapter End Notes:

So I hope it's not totally implausible that Pam does not recognize her workplace or herself there. I've always thought she had difficulty with seeing herself as Jim saw her, and I don't think she recognized the Cugino's "date" as a potential date at the time because of her own awareness of her engagement. And I tried to put a couple of days of buffer in to fuzz up those memories of them meeting. As for recognizing Dwight and Angela--this Pam is too amused by the opportunity to tease Scranton about American Girl dolls, and thrown off by the trivia room reference with Dwight to notice.  Let me know if it didn't work for you, though; there's a lot more dancing around the issue to come.

Speaking of which, next is the Pilot--or rather, some texts in its aftermath. Feedback is always welcome! 


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans