- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Jim contemplates his future and his present.

Standard disclaimer: I do not own the Office, AOL, or any of the stories I based this on. 

After the whole Dwight-cutting-benefits debacle Jim found himself thinking about the future. Not the future if he ever got spontaneous dental hydroplosion, but the future if he had taken over the health care planning, if he had let this “job” become a “career”—or, alternatively, the future where he dropped everything and became a yak farmer in Outer Mongolia, or a botanist in the Amazon jungle, or…really, anything else.

 

He realized there was only one thing that truly tied him to Scranton, and to Dunder Mifflin: Pam. She was everything he wanted in a partner. It was like his crush on Morgan had grown a body and walked out of the computer screen into his real life, only to cruelly and ironically be engaged to someone else. Morgan, at least, had the virtue of being, well, virtual. Oh, he was sure there was a real woman somewhere out there with her amazing sense of humor, her artistic skill, her adorable knowledge of minor trivia, and her incredible ability to make things feel right after a totally awful day. Hell, he was sure there were two of them. But Pam was engaged and Morgan was who-knew-where (not him, for sure), and so he clung to Morgan’s virtual presence. After all, even if he did leave for Outer Mongolia, he was pretty sure he could manage to have internet access. And that meant he might have to leave Pam, but he’d never have to leave Morgan. Assuming she didn’t leave him.

 

It was funny, he thought, that he’d managed to form two deep friendships with women in his life and neither of them was ever remotely available to him. Maybe it was a symptom of something, or one of those moral illustrations like in Aesop’s Fables: the Salesman and the Siren or (if he was optimistic) Paper and Perseverance. After all, third time’s the charm.

 

Not that he expected lightning to strike thrice. Twice was already too lucky for one man, even if he’d never get to kiss Pam or even meet Morgan. People like that didn’t come around that often, and when you did you held them tight and didn’t let them go.

 

And that’s why he wouldn’t move to Outer Mongolia or the Amazon. Why he wouldn’t even leave Dunder Mifflin. Because while it hurt to watch Pam and Roy together at the end of the day, or to remember that her health care was their health care, and it sucked to never have a chance to even see Morgan (he had taped a printout of one of her pictures that she’d sent a photo of to the wall by his desk at home so he could have something to look at when they chatted), he couldn’t give either of them up.

 

So instead he watched trashy TV and moped. Even the TV mocked him: “Trading Spouses” was a little on the nose given his thoughts about Pam and Roy, “ditto “The Bachelor,” and “The Apprentice” hit too close to home in relation to his recent speculations about his career goals, or lack thereof. He clicked off the TV and turned his attention to his laptop.

 

WScranton8: please tell me there’s a good game tonight or something

WScranton8: because my TV has abandoned me

MorganLaFey: it grew legs and walked out?

MorganLaFey: you should really get that checked

MorganLaFey: is your house on the site of an ancient burial ground?

MorganLaFey: have you offended any particular deities recently?

WScranton8: only a few

MorganLaFey: which ones?

WScranton8: um, I didn’t catch his name, but I’m pretty sure the guy I knocked down in the parking lot on the way to work today was a Norse god…Logi? Lowkey? Something like that.

WScranton8: and my grocery bagger yesterday was a dead ringer for Anubis, god of the dead, and I gave him a really hard time about where he put the eggs and bread in the bag

WScranton8: oh yeah, and my landlord’s some kind of wood dryad and I’m behind on my rent

MorganLaFey: hmm…it could be any of them

MorganLaFey: I’d bet on Loki though, he’s a trickster god

MorganLaFey: didn’t know you worked with him

WScranton8: no, he works in another part of the complex I think

WScranton8: maybe with the HVAC guys in our building

MorganLaFey: makes sense, he was a fire spirit originally

WScranton8: exactly

MorganLaFey: but really, it could be any of them

MorganLaFey: I think you’re going to have to go around and make amends

MorganLaFey: or hope that the TV gets lonely and comes home

WScranton8: I should leave out a trail of breadcrumbs, or something

MorganLaFey: what does a TV eat…

WScranton8: brain cells?

MorganLaFey: yeah but those are really messy

MorganLaFey: your wood dryad landlord’s gonna object if you leave those out

WScranton8: true

WScranton8: maybe the batteries from my remote?

MorganLaFey: perfect! It’s not like you’ll need those without the TV anyway

WScranton8: true

WScranton8: maybe I can put up little “MISSING” signs around the neighborhood

WScranton8: like people do for their pets

MorganLaFey: lol

MorganLaFey: your TV is definitely your favorite pet

MorganLaFey: do you have any pictures of it you could post?

WScranton8: no :-(

MorganLaFey: that’s OK, I’ll just draw you one

MorganLaFey: I can email it over tonight

WScranton8: thanks :-)

MorganLaFey: my pleasure

MorganLaFey: after all, I have to put those art supplies I bought last week to some use, right?

WScranton8: definitely 

Chapter End Notes:
Poor Jim. But hey, Pam's drawing again! Now onto "The Alliance" and back to Pam's POV. I value all feedback on this chapter, earlier chapters, or the story as a whole. 

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans