- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Stamford, con't.

Pam pulled her finger away from Jim’s lips and replaced it with a firm, not deep kiss. “Good. So, what do I need to know about Stamford, Connecticut?”

 

“Um, what?”

 

She rolled her eyes at him. “You’re moving there. I’m dating you. Obviously I’m going to visit. So, what do I need to know about it.”

 

He looked thoughtful. “I…actually don’t know. Like, I know a little about my coworkers there from doing my job startup remotely, but I haven’t actually been there.”

 

“Didn’t you Google it at all before you accepted the position?” She put her hands on her hips mock-disgustedly. “Seriously, Jim, you put more effort into a prank than into this move.”

 

He ran his hand over the back of his neck, a sure sign he was nervous or uncomfortable. She resisted the urge to comfort him about this particular issue. “Um, yeah. I do. Because the pranks were things I did with you, or for you, or at least around you and this is something I did…not that.”

 

“To get away from me, in other words.”

 

“Well, yeah.”

 

“OK. Well, we’ve already covered all of that.” She waved in the air in a big circle to indicate that ‘all of that’ meant the stuff about Casino Night and how sorry they each were about the thought or lack thereof that had gone into that. “So I’m not going to lecture you about how you shouldn’t have been so panicked or afraid. I get why you were feeling that way now. But you’re still moving to Stamford. So shouldn’t you have an idea of what it’s like?”

 

“I guess.” He shrugged. “Now it feels like kind of the opposite—like I don’t want to learn about Stamford because now my life is here.”

 

She kissed him again. “That’s very sweet. But I’m not having any boyfriend of mine living like a hermit who doesn’t know his way around town. So we need you to figure out something about Stamford. Now, you said you knew something about your coworkers? Let’s start there.”

 

He took a deep breath in. “You’re right. I need to act like this is actually happening, don’t I?” She nodded. “OK. So, Josh, the big boss—he’s not Michael. I realize that’s kind of obvious, because thank god there are not two Michaels in the world, but he’s really, really not Michael. Like he has real goals and ambitions and expectations and stuff like that.”

 

She nodded again. “OK. Sounds like someone you want to get on the good side of.”

 

“Definitely. Then there’s…honestly, the rest of them are a little hard to keep straight. There’s a girl, Karen I think, who’s a lot like Josh—businesslike, to the point, doesn’t take or give a lot of shit. And there’s a guy, Andrew? Drew? Andy? Something like that, who seems less on the ball and more…Scrantonish? Like, not that we don’t get work done in Scranton, and if Andrew’s still working at Stamford for Josh he must have some skills, but he’s a little less tie-and-suit-jacket and a little more Hawaiian shirt, if you know what I mean? He’s the one who told me when I called to check about a new client I’d been assigned whom he’d done a couple orders for that ‘the dude likes his Jaeger’ and that if I wanted to impress him I’d need to drive up to Stamford and do shots with them both.”

 

Pam clapped a hand over her mouth. “No!”

 

“Oh yes. So I’m sure the rest of them have personalities too, but…honestly, it seems like a way more normal branch than Scranton. Not sure how I’m going to survive.”

 

She patted his knee. “You’ll knock ‘em dead.” Then a thought occurred to her. “Why is it that they need an ARM and not Scranton? It seems like they’d be easier to manage.”

 

He shrugged. “I don’t know. Something in the budgets, Jan said. Like, Stamford has a higher expected income or something so they get an ARM. Or Josh delegates more than Michael”

 

“Or more effectively,” Pam broke in with a giggle.

 

He smiled. “Or more effectively, yeah, so they give him an ARM because he’ll actually use it for more than buying a summer home for Dwight’s business card and white-out providers.”

 

“Yeah.” She sighed. “So, where are you staying when you move there?”

 

“I actually don’t know much about it. Apparently the rents there are ridiculous so the company is actually providing me housing for the first month in this like suite that they usually host visiting execs from New York in, and then I’m on my own. I figured I could apartment-shop after getting there, since I wouldn’t have a social life anyway.”

 

She clapped her hands. “Oooh, can I come? I want to compare shopping in Stamford to Scranton.”

 

He brightened. “Of course you can. And I totally forgot that you just got a new place. How is it?”

 

She laughed. “It’s really sketchy. Like, I’m on a month-by-month lease because I think the landlord is like violating 15 building codes to let me live there, and the place might be torn down at any moment. But I can afford it and the car on a receptionist’s salary, and the light is really good.”

 

“For painting.”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Good. But you haven’t mentioned the important questions—like, how many kitchens does it have? How many bedrooms? And am I allowed in them?” He grinned up at her.

 

“Well, just the one kitchen…”

 

“Just the one? I’ll have you know, Beesly, the classy establishments now have up to three kitchens for your dining pleasure.”

 

“Three?”

 

“Yep. You eat three meals, why not cook them in three separate, specialized kitchens. It’s all the rage in Stamford.”

 

“I thought you didn’t know anything about Stamford.”

 

“Come on Beesly, everyone knows that about Stamford. I thought you meant like real information that isn’t general knowledge.”

 

By this time she was laughing too hard to continue, and they paused while he patted her back companionably until she could go on.

 

“Well, we’ll be sure to get you a three-kitchener when we go looking in Stamford. To answer the rest of your questions, one and yes.”

 

“Hmm?”

 

She giggled. “One bedroom, Jim, and yes you are allowed…nay, required…to visit it. Keep up, Halpert.”

 

He grinned. “I just wanted to hear you say it.”

Chapter End Notes:
Thank you all for reading and reviewing. Next chapter: Pam gets a phone call.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans