- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I own nothing.  Everything up until the actual date.

Pam


I don’t have anything to wear.  I know it’s that cliché    thing girls say before a date, but it’s true.  I know Jim developed  his feelings for me while I wore cardigans and sweaters, but he just broke up with Karen.  I think.  I need to look amazing.  I can’t have him regretting his break up.  Now that I have had a taste of Jim full on flirting with me and no implications except dating me, I don’t think I could survive without it.  This thing has to work.  I check my watch.  Jeez!  It is 5:45!  I have been standing here, looking at all of my frumpled outfits, for the past 23 minutes.  Out of the corner of my eye, I spot a cardboard box.  That box holds a bunch of outfits I bought with my sister Penny.  I open the box and see a couple of outfits that are acceptable.  I decide on some jet black jeans that hug my waist nicely and a magenta colored sleeveless  blouse.  Now that the worst part is over, I head to the bathroom to curl my hair.  I decide to curl it into loose waves that reside besides my head.  I apply a bit of makeup and take a look at myself.  I look hot.  No, I look terrible.  I’m probably more attractive than Karen.  No way.  I’m not.  He’ll just laugh.  I shake my head in frustration.  I need a distraction before I go completely insane with insecurity.





Jim


It is as if I had never talked to a girl before.  Or at least gone on a date with one.  My palms are as sweaty right now as my entire body usually is after a game of basketball at the Y.  I have looked in the mirror at least 10 times.  She did agree to go on a date with me right?  So she does want to see me right?  I am dressed in some khaki pants and a nice button down shirt that my mom gave to me last year for Christmas.  But I am rolling up my sleeves.  I’m not blind.  Even when she was with Roy, I noticed how Pam looked at me when I leaned on the reception desk.  Her eyes would darken with intense desire, but then she would quickly look away.  I always let it go.  But tonight?  I am going all in.  I’ll put all of my cards on the table.  Maybe not all.  I need this relationship to work more than anything, so maybe dropping out the L word on the first date isn’t the smartest idea.  I check my watch.  Shoot!  It’s 6:10!  I practically sprint out of my apartment and barely forget to lock the door.  I need flowers!  I should have already gotten them, but I spent the last 23 minutes looking at the mirror being an insecure guy.  I am probably driving like a madman, but I need to get to the floral shop.  When I arrive, I run in and speak a mile a minute to the florist.  She gives me a soft smile.  “I get it hon.  Scrambling for a date right?  But you spoke way too fast.”  I chuckle and run my hands through my hair like I usually do when I’m stressed.  I am woefully disappointed by the lack of hair.  Damn you Karen.  “I need a bouquet of carnations please.”  Those were Pam’s favorites.  I remember her telling Phyllis on the day I complained to Toby about her planning her wedding during office hours.  The two of them had been talking about wedding flowers.  Phyllis had told Pam that Bob always used to get her carnations before a date.  I had smiled that day, thinking of giving Pam carnations on a date.  But that fantasy had been interrupted when Pam said, “Yeah I love them too, I bet Roy will get those for me.”  At that I ran out of the room and threw up.  I soon complained to Toby, partly because I was just ranting and partially because I was just sick and tired of Roy and Pam’s wedding.  But that is all in the past.  Now, I can actually give Pam a bouquet of carnations before a date.  Finally one of my fantasies of Pam and I is coming true.  Hopefully another one will come true in the coming nights.  Or whenever she is ready.  I am torn from my thoughts when the florist gives me the bouquet.  I blush, knowing what I was thinking about.  I look down at the rosy red bouquet of flowers and think:Perfect.  I pay the florist and jog out of the shop to my car.  I check my watch.  6:21.  I shift my car into drive.  As I’m driving to Pam’s apartment I am full of nervous jitters.  I never understood the phrase “I have butterflies in my stomach”, but I certainly get it now.  Holy cow!  I am about to pick up Pam Beesly for a date.  A date.  The girl of my dreams.  The only person I want to get on a knee for.  I notice that I’m at her apartment.  I take a couple of deep breaths and step out of my car.  Once I get to her door, I compose myself.  You can do this.  You can do this.  You can do this.  I check my watch.  6:28.  Early bird does get the worm, so…maybe knock?  I knock on the door twice.  I can only wait at this point.  I don’t hear anything for about 30 seconds.  I’m about to knock again when the door opens.  I see her.  Wow.  She is an absolute vision.  The sight of her is stunning.  A magenta blouse that showed just a bit of cleavage, jeans that hugged her nicely, and her curly brownish-reddish hair that was curled into loose waves.  I know I’ve just openly gaped for quite a while when her face becomes flushed with a dark purple color.  “Wow, Pam you look nice.”  She smiles.  I remember my promise to not hold back tonight.  “Actually you know what?  I’m not holding back tonight.  Pam, you look absolutely gorgeous.”  She blushes.  “You don’t look too bad yourself Halpert”, she responds back.  She notices the flowers in my left hand.  “Carnations?  Those are my favorite.  Thanks.  Let me put them in a vase.  I flash her a beaming smile and hand her the flowers.  She takes them from me and goes into the kitchen.  I look around her apartment.  It’s small, but so perfectly Pam.  I notice a watercolor painting by her couch.  It is a beautiful painting.  But I am shocked to see what was painted.  It is a teal teapot.  I smile thinking about that day.  My thoughts are stopped when Pam appears next to me.  She smiles, “That teapot will mean more to me than you will ever know.”  I turn to look at her in the eyes and say, “I know.”  I take her hand in mine and lead her outside to my car.  Once I open the door for her, I go to my side and sit down.  She turns to me and asks, “So where are we going?”  “Well we have two options.”  Pam chuckled.  “Can’t decide Halpert?”  I grin.  “Well I’ve always fantasized about taking you to a super fancy restaurant and letting you get anything you want on the menu.  So I made reservations at Casa Bella.  But I have also dreamed of just hanging out at a diner with you.  Just eating cheeseburgers and fries and maybe kissing occasionally.  I wink at her.  “So I was thinking Glider Diner if we go that route.  So up to you Beesly.  It is our first date after all, so our entire relationship lies in your hands.  “Wow, a tough choice”, she teases.  I mockingly put on a stern face.  “This is no laughing matter Pamela.”  She chuckles.  “Well the Glider Diner sounds fun.  I haven’t been there in ages.”  I nod and put the car into drive.  As I drive to the diner, I keep sneaking looks at Pam.  God, she is beautiful.  At that moment, I realize that I will do everything in my power that I can do to ensure this is the last first date both of us ever have.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans