- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
JAM trying to hide their relationship at work. A bit short, but Chapter 3 should be up very soon. Thanks SO much for the reviews!
"Hey." Jim leaned against her desk, looking down at the mail Pam was sorting. "How's it going?"

"Um. Fine." She risked a quick glance up at him, unable to stop that smile from creeping up on her face. "You?"

"Hmm... same as usual." He reached down, onto her desk, picking up an empty envelope and looking at it absently. His fingers crept over her hand, running over it teasingly. "When are you taking your break?"

Pam blushed, trying to act casual as her eyes flickered around the office. "I don't know, I..." She looked over to the side, seeing a camera spying out from behind a wall of blinds. She blinked. "I'm actually-- I already took one. So. I'm just gonna be doing this for a while." She tore open another envelope, looking away deliberately.

Jim didn't say anything for a moment, just stared at her, then scanned the office until he saw the camera lens. He straightened himself up. "Right. Okay." He backed away slowly, back towards his desk. A few moments later, Pam glanced up at him. He was back to work.

"Dating? Uh, well, I am seeing someone. You know, it's been three months since Roy and I split up, and I thought I'd... you know." She pursed her lips for a moment, looking at the floor, wishing they hadn't asked her this question. "But no, definately no one in this office. I don't think many people here would take it that well if one day I was handing them a save the date card, and the next I was going out with-- um... I don't know... Oscar. Y'know, it just doesn't make for a very comfortable, um, work environment. And I'm not just talking about me. I mean, it wouldn't be fair to Oscar at all. I don't want to put him through that."

***

Pam walked out the sidedoors of the building, wrapping her arms around her for warmth. Jim was leaning against the cement wall of the building, his eyes squinted as he stared across the parking lot. She walked towards him cautiously.

"Hey."

He gave her a quick glance. "Hey."

"What're doing out here?"

"Taking my break." He sighed. "What about you? I thought you were gonna skip break today."

She sighed. "Jim..." She reached out to fiddle with his tie, but he flinched. Only slightly, but enough for her to notice. "What?"

"Nothing. Sorry."

"Well, something's bothering you."

He didn't speak for a few moments, just stared intently at the cement ground in front of him, and Pam looked down at it also, trying to find what it was that held his interest so completely. Finally, he spoke. "It's just... I wasn't exactly having the best time here, before."

She didn't understand, but wisely chose to say nothing. Eventually, he continued.

"You know... with you and-- you were engaged. And I thought I'd never be able to--" He pressed his mouth shut, breathing out through his nose for a moment. "Well, anyway. Things are different now, but here? It's like time just stood still. It's all the same. Sometimes I forget that things have changed."

"Oh."

"I don't want to show you off or anything, Pam," he said earnestly, turning to face her for the first time. "You want to keep it private, and I want that for you, too. It's fine, really, I've just gotta get used to it. But this is harder than I thought, you know? Trying to ignore you."

"Yeah," she said. "No, I get it. But um, I've... I've gotta go back, though, okay?"

He just looked at her. "Sure."

And then she turned and walked back into the building, leaving him standing there.

***

Jim flicked off his computer and grabbed his jacket off the coat rack, glancing quickly at reception to see that Pam, too, was putting on her coat. He cleared his throat and looked over at Dwight.

"Doing anything special this weekend, Dwight?"

"Yes," he answered shortly, his eyes glued to his computer screen. "I'm taking my girlfriend to--"

"-- Your girlfriend," he repeated dubiously.

Dwight looked over at him. "Why are you so interested in my girlfriend, Jim?"

He sighed. "See you on Monday."

Grabbing his bag, he headed for the door, stopping, as usual, at reception. "Ready to go?" he asked, drumming his fingers on the desk.

She nodded, staring at the floor as she stood up and moved in front of the desk, and walked straight up to him. And then, almost without hesitation, she wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him. And he just stood there, shocked, and all he could do was slide his hands around her waist and pull her closer.

There was a clattering behind them; someone had dropped something in surprise. Pam was sure the whole office was staring at them, but surprisingly, she found she didn't care. Not with the feeling of Jim's kiss still burning on her lips. So she grabbed his hand, grinned at him, and pulled him from the office, that blank look of shock still plastered on his face.

At her desk, Meredith grudgingly pulled a 20 dollar bill from her wallet and handed it to a smug Phyllis, who pocketed it with a smile.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans