- Text Size +

It's not really a plan, because she doesn't feel she's had many possibilities to choose since she made that last decision of leaving Scranton at midnight. It feels more like following the only reasonable path she sees amid a very unreasonable scenario. And then the next one. And the next one. Until she landed in this dusty staircase, where she is now pulling at her sleeves and looking at the time every 30 seconds or so.


She will take the slot of Karen's interview. It is literally her only chance. But it's still too soon, and she doesn't know what to do. Just to keep busy, she climbs up and down a couple of floors. Opens the door to check out the offices. Closes it again. Another floor. And on the third one she is facing vending machines. The healthy kind.


Yogurt.


It is still silly, and not the right brand at all, but she gets one and goes back to "her spot", four floors below. The tiny plastic spoon is inadequate and it takes some effort to finish the yogurt. But she enjoys it nonetheless. 


It is fortunate that there is a janitor closet and a sink nearby so she can wash the lid clean. Carefully she places it in her back pocket.


She won't use it. It's silly. But it helped her pass the time and it brings back memories, happy memories from which she can draw some courage.


At 10.50 she feels her heart is pumping extra hard and her leg feels jittery. At 11.05 she finally ventures outside.


She doesn't need to get close to the glass doors to hear the yells and the confused dialogue, but she can't really understand what's going on. Jan's voice seems to be the loudest and she ducks right in time before she storms out. Pam is not sure but she seems to be carrying stuff.


Back in her hiding place, hugging her knees, she waits longer. How long would it take for things to calm down and for Karen to get to her interview? 


11.30. If she takes longer, she will run into Karen on her way out. But Pam is scared. So scared in fact that she even manages two steps down, towards the ground floor and the exit. But if she leaves… if he takes the job… she tries to recreate her feelings from the night before. The fear of a world coming to an end. The fear of losing him for good.


With a deep breath she opens the door again. The hall is empty and silent. Slowly she approaches the glass doors and fixes her eyes on the Dunder Mifflin logo for a second. There are two men in the waiting room. A stranger, and next to the window, Jim, smartly dressed and perfectly groomed, reading a file.


Nobody notices her for a moment and then she realises Grace is waving at her, quietly from her desk.


Now or never.


Pam points at Jim and mouths "please". Jim's head jumps as Grace tells him something Pam can't hear and then she sees his eyes open wide and his jaw drop, as he sees her through the glass doors.


"What the-?" She sees his lips, and then he is walking towards her, looking as if a ton of bricks has hit his head.


Pam retreats almost to the door to the stairs. Now would be the worst time to be seen.


"Hey! What are you doing in New York?" Jim catches up with her and she just doesn't know what to say. Tentatively she opens her mouth, but closes it again.


"Pam?" She studies him as his features change from surprise to concern. "Is everything all right?"


She nods, but a lump has formed in her throat and, for the life of her, she doesn't seem to be able to speak.


"Pam?" He says again, almost a whisper. She looks at her feet, and at the brown ugly carpet.


"I-"


With trembling hands she reaches to the back pocket of her jeans and produces the yogurt lid. It is stupid, really, but she feels like crying or like hugging him and she knows she can't do neither.


Slowly, she shows Jim the shiny circle and he takes it. 


"Looks different," he says.


Pam just shrugs and forces her voice to come out. "I just… I came here to… to tell you…"


Jim waits for a moment but he is impatient too, and maybe thinking about the interview that's about to begin. "Yes?"


Pam swallows and looks at him again. Like that first step you take when you are about to walk on coals, her eyes jump to his and she hears herself saying: "Don't forget us when you're famous."


He smiles a little, but there is also a small crease over an eyebrow that shows a little confusion. But Pam feels drained. She is not a person who makes grand gestures and this simplest of lines is all she has. Managing a small smile, she gives him a quick squeeze in his forearm, over that fancy suit she doesn't recognise, and finally turns around to the safety of the now familiar fire exit. 


Without looking back she climbs down the stairs, two at a time, and the moment she reaches the busy street she takes a deep breath that sounds a lot like a sob.


Chapter End Notes:

I had to rewrite this chapter a couple of times to have the sequence right and avoid Pam bumping into Karen, which meant I re-watched The Job and then came here to read all of my first date fav fics and... well, you know how it is. 

Thank you all for reading! One chapter to go! 


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans