- Text Size +

He’s seen her rest her eyes before. Whether it was during another boring safety video or to ward off a headache from Michael, he would catch Pam leaning over a notebook with her eyes closed, trying to block out the world around her. He knew she was never really asleep, would see her mindlessly doodle on the notebook in front of her or nod along to whatever it was Michael was telling her, but he still loved those moments when he got to see yet another side of her.  

But seeing her rest her eyes from across the room is nothing compared to right now.

She’s asleep on his shoulder, and he is trying so hard to keep still so he can savor this moment until he can’t anymore. Jim had never once hoped that Michael’s meetings would last longer than necessary until this moment, now wanting nothing more than to listen to her slowed breathing and watch her eyelashes flutter. These are the moments that keep him from leaving. He shouldn’t rely on them, she’s engaged, he knows that, but knowing that just enforces the fact that he will never get these kinds of moments with her outside of these four walls.

But then Michael is dismissing everyone and the moment is coming to an end.

He waits until everyone else is gone, giving him just a second longer with her on his shoulder. But he doesn’t want to have anyone notice, have them ask questions or make comments. So, he leans over and whispers, “Hey,” and she stirs.

He follows her out the door, goes to his desk to start gathering his things to go home. The camera crew calls him back into the conference room for one last interview, asks him how his day was today. And despite losing one of his biggest sales, to Dwight of all people, and having to deal with Michael’s games, he answers them honestly.

“Not a bad day.”


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans