- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Here's a little Father's Day diddy. I hope you enjoy!

Don't own these characters. Never have, never will. Please don't throw lawyers at me.

Jim stretched his arms overhead and flexed all the way down to his toes, pushing his feet beyond the margins of their bed, quite certain by the relaxed feelings in his bones that it was still the weekend.

 

He yawned and finally opened his eyes to the bright shining sun. It shown brilliantly through their curtains, causing little specs of dust to sparkle in the air around him.

 

Jeez...how long had he slept...

 

Turning to look at the alarm clock, he couldn't remember having slept this long in ages. The smell of something sweet...cinnamon rolls? Was Pam attempting to make cinnamon rolls...

 

Father's Day. Oh yeah...Father's Day.

His first ever Father's Day.

 

And cinnamon rolls...Wow. It seriously did not get more surreal than this.

 

He grinned and pushed himself to a sitting position.

 

"No! No!...Don't get up! You can't," Pam said rushing in.

 

Jim glanced to the side, pushed his fingers beneath their mattress. "What the heck woman...is there some kind of trip wire or something..."

 

"I heard the bed creak," Pam explained hurriedly. "And I knew you'd be up before I was ready for you to be up."

 

"Pam it's 11:30."

 

"Doesn't matter," Pam said grabbing his feet. She grunted under the weight of his legs as she tried pulling them back to the bed and laying them back atop the comforter. "It's Father's Day and Father's Day...you get to just...sleep if you want to. Or not sleep. Or whatever...play video games...I don't care. It's Father's Day."

 

Jim laughed at her adamancy that he remain in bed. "Ok...ok, Pam...I got it. I'm in bed."

 

"And you'll stay here? On your honor."

 

"Oh my God," Jim said grinning. "Yes...what do you have...Are you making cinnamon rolls. How did you know?"

 

She grinned and stood to her full height instead of trying to push him back into bed. Obviously both proud of her self and happy that he'd noticed. "You mentioned them once...a long time ago, we were in that bakery -- when we were camping that time and you mentioned that your mom used to make cinnamon rolls every father's day because it was your dad's favorite. I thought...I don't know...I thought I'd try and make them."

 

Jim reached up to pull her down to meet her lips. "Mmm..." he said pulling back after a moment. "I think they're gonna be good."

 

She giggled. "I've been sampling the icing....But you're gonna have to wait a bit longer...Jill and I have everything under control though."

 

As if she'd heard her name, Jill came crawling into the bedroom. The evidence of her hard work all over her mouth in the form of white icing.

 

"Look at you...." Jim said reaching down to scoop her up. She wore a pink ‘My Daddy's The Best Daddy' T-shirt with a diaper. "You look excellent," Jim said smiling. "Are you sure I can't help?" he asked then, looking back up at Pam. "What are you hiding out there?"

 

"Nothing. I just want you to be fully relaxed today. You help out so much...I just...just enjoy it.......And besides, you have a card to read from Jill," Pam said pointing to her side of the bed. A red construction paper card lay on her pillow. A tiny stamped handprint decorated the front of it. "She's a card making expert."

 

"Wow...is that true Jilly Bean?" Jim asked, kissing her little icing coated lips. ‘I love you this much, Happy First Father's Day Daddy' Jim said, reading the words over the top of Jill's handprint. "Thank you so much...."

 

Jim pulled Jill's little hand to his mouth and started to chew on her soft chubby fingers. She squealed in delight. "Hmm...yep, it's the same hand alright...this one tastes like chicken."

 

He looked up at Pam and said softly, "Thank you."

 

She smiled. "You're welcome..........Inside there's kind of a thing...from me," Pam said gesturing to the card. "I couldn't really decide on a gift, and I mean - there are gifts in the living room, but I wanted you to...anyway, just - read that first."

 

Jim lifted an eyebrow. "Mysterious."

 

"Not really...I..." she waved a hand. "I have to get back to the cinnamon rolls, you should just...just read it."

 

She was so nervous...he couldn't imagine what for. Unless however she'd gone the route of something really dirty...or something really mushy. Either one could get Pam blushing.

 

He smiled at her. "Ok...Thanks Beesly."

 

"Give me like 10 minutes...Do you want me to take her? I'm dipping her cheerios in icing so she loves the kitchen right now."

 

"Nope," Jim said lying back against his pillow. Jill lay down on his chest and instantly began to suck on her fingers. Jim pulled a pretty sheet of stationary out of the construction paper card and started to read. One hand on the sheet, the other combing it's way continuously through Jill's golden brown curls.

 

Pam quickly made her exit.

 

 

 

Dear Jim,

 

I am not as good at this as you are, and right now...as you read this I imagine I am hiding out somewhere...probably the kitchen. I tend to hide there a lot - weird. Perhaps we should analyze that at a later date.

 

The truth is, I've never been as good at expressing myself as you are. I know right? Shocker. We're always talking about how I'm not good at talking and let's face it, if I was good at expressing myself Jill would probably be about 5 years old by now because all of this...you, me, her...would have happened a lot sooner.

 

So please don't take my hiding as an affront. Know in fact that I have never done this before. I have never gotten out a sheet of paper with the intention of using it to write down all of my feelings for someone. I do that with colored pencils or with paint...but never this way. It's unnerving, but completely necessary.

 

So here I am, being as forthright and expressive as I Pam Halpert can be, because I think you deserve it. Because I can't think of anyone I'd rather take this leap for and risk utter humiliation. And I know what you're thinking. You're thinking "Why on earth does she think this is humiliating? Like I'd ever say anything to humiliate her," but you also know how weird I can be about this stuff, so I trust that you'll understand my completely unfounded fear of rejection...from you anyway.

 

So here goes:

 

You are the best daddy.

 

Seriously. Hands-down. I love my dad, but I have to say (and if you ever repeat this I'll deny it) you are so much better. You just...You are just so good at everything. Perhaps that's why I actually feel a little self-conscious sometimes. I think maybe you should purposely fail at something more often, don't you? Perhaps if we played Poker more often that would build my self-esteem. I love you. That was a joke.

 

You are the best daddy. Really you are. I can't imagine how it is that you just...you just know what to do. All the time. She cries and when you pick her up sometimes it's not that she wants food, or needs to be changed, or even wants to be held really...I think she just wants to hear your voice. Because suddenly - inexplicably she's quiet. Something in the sound of your voice is soothing to her and I know how she feels. You are the best daddy.

 

When I first brought up having a baby (and yes I do remember it was my idea...contrary to what I said in Labor & Delivery) I'd been thinking about it for awhile...did I ever tell you that? Since before we'd gotten married. Actually since...ok, so on our first date (how's this for honesty, Halpert) I thought about what it would be like to end up with you...forever. To get married, to have babies...forever - with you. On our first date! I know! Crazy, right! Believe me I knew it was crazy, so I tried not to stray down that path for too long. I mean who wants to know that the girl he's finally got a date with (dancing at the YMCA) is thinking about babies already. Especially when she'd just come off a rather long term engagement to someone else. Wisdom told me to keep quiet, and so I did. But I knew in the back of my mind, from that moment on...every time you whispered in my ear, when you let me choose a radio station, when you curled up with me on the couch and tried your damndest not to fall asleep during a chick-flick no less, and when you unloaded the dishwasher - I knew I was going to marry you.

 

Ok, so I'm not being completely honest...there's more. Are you scared now? Are you covering your eyes with your pillow?...Are you ready for this?

 

I had thought about babies briefly before that. I know, I know...See, this is why I don't express myself! It was Bring Your Daughter To Work Day (No, not the one you Schruted. I'm talking about the one about two years before that.) The one where you got Abbey to actually smile. The one where she invited you to dinner! I just thought...Oh my God, this is so easy for him! He's going to be a wonderful dad! I've been sitting here all day, trying - not even succeeding - to bribe children with candy and he's just here...just talking...just being himself, and these kids adore him. It was just unbelievable to me and I had the briefest flash of you with your own child. Oh believe me I wasn't silly enough to imagine myself as the mom in that picture yet...but still. I knew you'd be incredible.

 

I knew I wanted that, but I didn't know how to get it yet.

 

You are the best daddy.

 

You are the biggest help to Jill and me. You have been since the day you found out I was pregnant. That night after Michael's birthday party...Crazy, right? I can still remember how giddy we both were on the way home...you wanted to share it with everyone, but I wouldn't let you. You wanted to literally call everyone we knew on your cell on the way home and I wouldn't let you. I still feel bad about that, but I just felt so incredibly good...and you know how I get when I feel good - I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. I'm so thankful that everything turned out so good. I'm so, so thankful that we have her.

 

We got to be giddy little kids together at home that night, and for nights and nights after that. You uncorked a bottle of champagne that we'd had since our wedding and you mixed in the tiniest little bit for me with a glass of peach seltzer water (still the best champagne I've ever had by the way, kudos to the bartender on that one). We curled up together on the couch and instantly started talking names and girls versus boys and the merits of each.

 

You said something about girls being so much simpler and I just laughed at you. You soon changed your tune when you started doing all your research and statistical analysis - the very next day I might add. It became your big new project. You talked about it to the exclusion of anything else for like a week and so it was even harder for you to go to work and not be able to tell everyone. Your IM's that read "is this for real?" cracked me up for months. Then I started to get huge and you stopped asking that question...interesting.

 

God I love you for being so excited about it from the very first moment. I love you because it was adorable and I love you because by the time my fear and anxieties started to kick in with a vengeance you were still so excited and you helped me to be that way too. I love you because you are still just as excited about our daughter as you were then. On the night that I'm writing this, you've noticed the tiniest of white lines starting to poke through her gums and the way you came and got me to tell me...Jim, anyone else would have thought we won the lottery. I love you.

 

The other day I was flipping through this book and it said the greatest thing you could give to your son or daughter was enthusiasm...you do that every minute that you are with her. I'm not sure you're even conscious of it.

 

You are the best daddy.

 

I had a fairly easy pregnancy. My bout with morning sickness was brief, I didn't break out in weird places, my pee didn't smell weird, I did however get significantly larger in many areas...including my feet, and my boobs. You were excited about that last part. My feet...Well, you are really good at pedicures. Seriously if you ever get sick of sales, there are a few nail salons that would be lucky to have you, Halpert. Don't worry...if you play your cards right I will never share that information with anyone else (except for my mom - I already told her - sorry). You also indulged that whole ice cream and pretzels thing. Which I still think isn't that weird, I don't care what you say. I still crave that sometimes even now.

 

At least some of my other cravings benefited you - like some of the cravings I had at work...which required us to go up to the roof - those were nice.

 

I was also very moody. I've been known by some (you) to still be that way. You are the best daddy if for no other reason than for putting up with Jill's crazy mommy. It has lasted much longer than 9 months. I think Jill broke my brain.

 

You were so freaking awesome in the hospital. Every time I looked into your eyes I knew everything was going to be ok. It sucked don't get me wrong...but it was gonna be ok. We were going to be ok.

 

Playing "Would You Rather"...God, I'm so glad I decided to make a baby with you. You knew exactly what to do and say. You knew that I didn't need you hovering, but I just wanted you there - to hold my hand, to tell me funny things. You were perfect. You didn't get offended when I didn't want to talk, you didn't get offended when my skin felt like it was going to break into a million little pieces and I demanded that you not touch me at all. Not my shoulders, not my back...nothing. You were just...there with me. You are my best friend.

 

You are the best daddy.

 

And Jill. She's perfect. She is PER-FECT....we both know that. I don't know what it is that you did...but next time we decide to make a baby (wow. yes, I said next time) - please do whatever you did - again. Seriously the perfect recipe for baby. She's like Baby Ala Mode. When people stop us in the store to tell us how beautiful she is...we can rest assured in the knowledge that they are not lying. She is just...ugh, how can we even stand it? I mean I don't want us to get cocky, but let's just get it out there...all the other babies should just go home, right? Thank you for helping me make her. Trust me she is not all my doing...How on earth are we gonna top her?

 

Thank you for helping me raise her. I don't know what I'm doing. Honestly. Really - I don't. Every day is exciting, and joyful, and completely and utterly terrifying. My consolations are these: her smile. I literally feel like Kelly must feel inside everyday when I see her smile - like I could just die.

 

My other consolation at the end of every day is when you walk into our apartment, kiss me and say ‘Well done Beesly." It was a joke at first...like we were some couple stuck in a 1950's sitcom. But it's turned into this thing...this thing that I have to hear. And somehow you know it because you say it whether it true or not! You say on days when our daughter has food literally all over her face, there's absolutely no dinner waiting for you (and there isn't going to be), there's bottles of paint spread out on the living room floor - and you can only make those out if there isn't laundry piled on top of them. You make me feel like a good mommy.

 

You are the best daddy.

 

Everybody always says that once you're married to someone all the little habits that you thought were cute, start to be annoying. If you have found this to be true, you are hiding it well. I must say you still seem charmed by me. You couldn't stop laughing at the idea of a No-Jill List, and you smile and play along over things like handmade puppets named Cooey. I love you.

 

I have never not felt supported by you. Is Pam going back to work? Is Pam going to school full time? Is Pam going to do the stay at home mom thing? Who the hell knows right? Not Pam.

 

I know this drives you crazy. So...Thank you. Thank you for being you. Thank you for being the best husband and the best daddy.

 

Jim...seriously, I never thought I'd be able to do this, but I just did it, and it's not half bad. Yay me! And you know, By "this" I don't just mean this letter. I mean all of it. I mean writing the letter, I mean marrying you, I mean raising a baby with you, I mean spending the rest of my life with you...all of it. I could not have done this without you (obviously)...but you know what I mean.

 

Also...Jill wouldn't be half as perfect without you.

 

You are the best daddy.

 

Love you THIS much,

Pam and Jill

 

 

 

Jim shook his head and folded the stationary back inside the card, moving gingerly so as not to wake Jill even as he stood up. She stirred for the briefest of seconds before she fell back to sleep.

 

He walked into the kitchen.

 

"Oh did she fall asleep?....Here," Pam said moving towards them. She pulled Jill into her arms and then laid her on the couch. "I can't believe she fell asleep that fast... "Breakfast is actually ready." She said moving back into the kitchen. "I'm not sure if you're going to like it. I tried to stick exactly to your mom's recipe...but you know...so...I mean they tasted good before they went into the oven...so we'll just take our -

 

He kissed her, effectively silencing all nervousness. It was gentle and sweet and hopefully as thoughtful as her letter had been. When finally he pulled away, Pam found herself trapped between the countertop and his boxer clad body. She looked far more relaxed than she had just moments before.

 

She felt soft in his arms and he shook his head at her once more. "You are...crazy you know that? That was so great. Thank you...Wow. I - really...thank you."

She smiled bashfully, heat rising in her cheeks from so many things right now. "You're welcome...I guess it was pretty good, huh?"

 

"I guess it was Beesly," Jim said brushing her hair out of her eyes.

 

"The cinnamon rolls are ready, too."

 

Jim scrunched his face, clearly deep in thought. "Hmm...that's interesting Pam. I'm thinking you were right though...I'd really like to stay in bed today."

 

"Oh?" She said, turning within the circle of his arms to pull plates down from the cupboard.

 

Jim's hands found their way back to her hips. "Yeah...but I'm thinking...you went to all this trouble - so I'd really like my breakfast in bed."

 

"Oh," Pam said getting his meaning by the tilt of his head and the inflection in his voice. She coyly furrowed her brow. "Well I'm not exactly sure what you mean..."

 

Jim sighed. "Listen, I know you kind of have a thing about you know...crumbs in the bed, icing, cinnamon...but I really think just this once..."

 

Soberly she answered him, "Jim, it's Father's Day...If we can't have cinnamon rolls and sex at noon today...when can we?"

 

"I like the way you think..." he said, letting go of her again as she managed one huge cinnamon roll out of the pan and onto a small saucer. "Oh we're gonna need the whole pan, Bees."

 

She giggled and slid the cinnamon roll back into the pan with it's friends. "What was I thinking."

 

"I don't know.....Oh and Pam," Jim said stoicly as he trailed behind her towards the bedroom. He paused just long enough to switch on the baby monitor on the coffee table. "I was thinking that as one of my Father's Day privileges the best thing really would be to do a nude reading of the letter...so...you know...try and work that into the schedule this afternoon if you could....and you know - consider that a request from your Number 2, and the best daddy. So basically.......it's an order."

 

She giggled as they disappeared. Whatever the best daddy wanted.

 

 

 


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans