- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

No copyright infringement intended.

I hope you're all still interested in my trio, and you enjoy this latest chapter! :-)

Brokenloon thanks for being an AWESOME beta!!!  You've gotta be an even better dad! 

 

-- Talking Head in Conference Room --

 

"You ready?" Jim asked. "Because they have some serious questions for you."

 

Jill smoothed her hands over the red and white gingham dress that she wore and shifted in her seat.  She looked up at her daddy with Pam-shaped green eyes.  The expression she wore was very serious indeed, as she parroted back his word, ‘serious' (except of course with a ‘w' substitution where the ‘r' should have been). 

 

Jim lovingly referred this particular substitution (as there were many) as Jill's Wascaly Wabbit impersonation.  Pam of course strictly forbade the use of the nickname, claiming that any hint of ridicule would cause the demise of ‘R's for the rest of Jill's life...and did he really want to be responsible for that?...No, absolutely not, Beesly.

 

Everyone in the camera crew busted up at Jill's faux pas though, and she ate it up.  Grinning away, because clearly she'd made a very good joke. 

 

Jim smiled back at her. He'd have to teach her how to deadpan it later.

 

The "serious face" is what had gotten them into this whole Jill does a Talking Head situation, anyway.  The producers of the documentary had seen her do it one day when Jim and Pam had brought her to the office and that had been it.  He and Pam had gone back and forth a bit about it and then finally decided that because the documentary crew was going to be taping their upcoming move anyway, it was inevitable that sooner or later they'd be asking Jill questions.

 

Surprisingly, Jill never asked one single question about the cameras.  The most shocking part about it was that Jill asked questions regarding just about everything else. She was a two-and-a-half year old that needed to know the hows and whys of just about everything in life.  It occurred to Jim and Pam that maybe - it being the only workplace she was familiar with -  that maybe she thought all offices had video cameras with people that asked mommy and daddy questions sometimes.

 

Steven, the main camera operator, cleared his throat. "Jill, where are you and mommy and daddy going to be moving later this week?"

 

Jill scratched the back of her head and then glanced at Jim, her milk chocolate brown pigtails swinging.

 

"Remember?" He said prompting. "The place where you're room's going to be soooo much bigger...we talked about this...at length."

 

At length being the optimum words. 

 

Jim pulled one side of his mouth to the side and quietly said, "I think she's feeling a little shy," before turning to her. "You want to sit in my lap?"

 

She nodded quickly and he scooped her up into his lap. Her little black patent leather shoes swung near his knees. He pointed to the guy behind the camera. "See...that's Steve. He's goofy...and he likes to eat peanut butter and jelly everyday for breakfast...just like you."

 

She giggled and he kissed her cheek.  "Ok...so remember we talked about moving to...where? It's someplace special."

 

"We'uh movin' with gamma and gampa...it's gonna be so so so fun." 

 

Jim looked at the camera and translated. "We're moving in with grandma and grandma...We're not though. Pam and I bought their house...I know, crazy. But it just worked out perfectly. My parents are looking to retire maybe somewhere a bit warmer...and Pam and I have been thinking about a bigger place for awhile now."

 

That was it.  All she needed was something to trigger her hearts desire.  She started chatting away about how ‘gamma' and ‘gampa' were going to ‘Fornia'...and of course once they got there they were going to take her to Disneyland.  All of this was of course punctuated by her need to have Jim (or as the crew soon found out ‘Dah-ye'= Daddy) confirm that it was true. She was going to get to go to Disneyland and visit the princesses.

 

"I know, Bean....She's really excited, if you couldn't tell," Jim said explaining to the crew.

 

Steve laughed, "So um...Jim...Going back to the new place for a minute. Why are you and Pam looking for a bigger one exactly?"

 

"Oh...have you seen our apartment?  I mean...that's why."

 

Jill started playing with the watch Jim wore, pretending to turn the little dial on the side.  She was quietly singing the Hickory-Dickory-Dock song.

 

"Someone's coming out of their shell," Steve quipped while waiting for Jim to answer.

 

"Oh yeah...I'm not sure what's going on.  She's usually so demure," he said while rolling his eyes.

 

When it was clear that maybe Jim was either avoiding the question or was really quite distracted by his daughter's tune, Steve repeated himself.  "Do you need additional space for any specific reason?"

 

"Other than storage for this ones clothes and toys?"

 

"Ok...so it's not part of a family expansion plan?"

 

"Uh...no, we're not looking to ‘expand' yet," Jim said grinning. "Not yet...But at least now I guess we have that option.  In the apartment we're in now, any more kids and they'd have to live in the oven."

 

The crew started laughing so Jill did too of course.  Then she said something about her Dah-ye being so silly.  Then just as suddenly, she turned towards Jim and put her hand to her lips, whispering that she had a secret. 

 

Jim made an ‘oh excuse me' face to the camera and then leaned down towards Jill. She whispered something in his ear.

 

He nodded as he pulled away. "She's really into secrets lately...something she picked up...I don't know where."

 

"Jill will you tell us the secret?" Steve asked.

 

Well of course, because to Jill all a secret meant was that you whispered something. Jill nodded. "I gonna have a bigger room at gamma-gampas house."

 

"That's bigger, for those of you guys who don't speak two-year-old."

 

They started laughing again, and so did Jill.

 

A knock on the door interrupted the laughter. "Hi guys...Um, Jill I'm about to order some Barbies on the internet.  Come sit with me."

 

"Oh um, Kelly -

 

Just like that Jill was scootching off of Jim's lap and following Kelly, who gleefully jumped up and down.  Jill was clapping as she made her way out of the conference room.

 

"Be good!" Jim called after her, watching her until the door shut.  He glanced behind him through the blinds before turning back to the camera.

 

He propped his chin up on the heel of his palm a moment later. "Uh...yeah, we've asked Kelly to babysit a couple of times lately.  Jill really likes her...a lot. And now Jill really wants to drive a BMW," Jim said with a fake grin. "She doesn't know what that is...She thinks it's an alphabet car

~~~~~~~~~~

 

-- Talking Head next to Kelly's Cubicle --

 

"Jill is like the best little girl ever I think.  She likes to shop with me.  She likes it when I do her nails. And she likes to buy dresses that Suri wears.....How does she know who Suri is?  Oh because I tell her.  Whenever I babysit her I bring over a ton of magazines.  Who else is going to teach her about the important things?  Jim and Pam sure aren't going to. Somebody has to...and that somebody gets to be me!

 

"I hope when I have a baby, she looks just like Jill only...with Beyonce's eyes and my hair." Kelly lowered her voice and glanced back to where Jill sat in front of her computer. "Poor thing has Pam's hair...it's really unfortunate."

~~~~~~~~~~~

 

A few days later...

 

The cameras zoomed in on Jill spinning around with her arms out.  Her feet dancing in circles atop the red living room carpet as people brought in boxes all around her.  "Sweetie please be careful," Pam was saying as she walked past her.

 

Jill was doing sweeping bows then, as if presenting the vast land before her to her guests. She was saying something nonsensical about her ruby slippers.

 

Pam hitched the box that she was carrying up on her hip and blew her bangs out of her eyes before she stopped in the threshold to talk to the cameras.  "She hasn't even seen the Wizard of Oz, but she saw a promo for it and is now fixated on the idea of ruby slippers...she asked me tons of questions about them. ‘Mommy why do they spawkle?' Pam said doing her own impersonation. "Or, ‘Can they be from Santa Clause?' Or the best one...‘How can they be mine?'...So now anything that is remotely red is a ruby slipper...even if it's a carpet..." Pam said shaking her head. "I'm a little worried that she's going to be absolutely devastated when we get that carpet taken out....She does ‘devastated' really well."

 

"Maybe we can get a little piece of it put down in her room," Jim said in an off-hand comment as he moved through the shot.  His face was completely obstructed by the box he carried "She also likes the clown!"

 

"We're not keeping the clown!" Pam shouted back to him. "Or the carpet," she whispered then to the cameras.  "Why hasn't she seen the Wizard of Oz?" She said repeating Steve's question. "Oh Gosh, I just remember being so afraid of the witch when I was little and I think I was five...I told Jill I was adding the Wicked Witch of the West to her No Jill list...It's so funny, she really abides by that list...I think it's because it's specifically for her.  She loves anything that's specifically for Jill and no one else...We're going to have to make a new list for this house anyway...so maybe...we'll see......Ok, I have to get back to those boxes outside.  Will you guys make sure she doesn't break anything? Thanks."

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

"She's showing me her mommy's ‘stu-yo'," Michael said, quietly looking over his shoulder at the camera.  He grinned widely as Jill took his hand, pulling him inside the garage.

 

"Wow...this is really nice Jilly," he said grinning. He frowned at the camera a moment later.  "It's not really that nice," he whispered. "But you have to lie to kids...they don't know any better......So mommy does her painting here?"

 

Jill nodded vigorously.

 

"Wow...you're so lucky that mommy can paint such cool things for you" Michael said again.  "What do you do in here while mommy's painting? When I was a kid my mom had rooms I wasn't allowed in."

 

"Oh...I'm vewy loud," Jill said, misunderstanding. She took off then, stumbling once on her way to the radio that sat on the floor on the other side of the garage. She quickly got her feet back under her and then started going again.  She pushed the power button on the CD player and immediately Beyonce started singing about all the single ladies.

 

Jill turned to look at Michael and started dancing and singing.

 

Michael turned to the camera and burst into a giggle as Jill started what looked like an entire routine to the song.  "Oh my God...look at you go."

 

She put her hands on her little non-existent hips and wiggled around.  Michael walked over hesitantly at first, but then joined in with Jill's moves, singing If you like it then you shoulda put a ring on it...uhuh-oh...

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

-- Talking Head in the kitchen --

 

 

"Oh...yeah, Jill has certain songs that she likes.  And she demanded that we buy that particular CD after a night with Kelly," Jim said looking at Pam.

 

Pam smiled. "Right.  She's apparently way too grown up for the music we want her to listen to...but we're still making her listen to Radio Disney...But then that song comes on the radio and she's like, "Yonce! Yonce!...We didn't even know what she was talking about at first!

 

"You had it on your workout mix," Jim mumbled.

 

"Shut up. I thought all music snobbery was done when you downloaded David Archuleta."

 

"Oh my God..." Jim said shaking his head. "Anyway, we were talking about Jill, Pam...not your bad taste in music."

 

Pam laughed as Jim started talking again. "Jill is...the most stubborn person on Earth...not even...child...just...person."

 

"Yeah, we don't where she gets that....I mean I think he and I are both pretty easy going.  Pretty flexible."

 

"Jill does not bend."

 

"Like not at all."

 

"Spoiled?" Jim said, repeating Steve's question.

 

"Probably," both he and Pam answered at once.

 

Jim mumbled, "Definitely," and Pam smacked his arm. "Because I'm the only one, right?"

 

"Right," Jim said grinning at the camera.

 

Pam folded her arms across her chest and shook her head.

~~~~~~~~~

 

"This is your room, Bean...isn't it great?  This is where Daddy went night-night when he was your age..." Pam added as she hoisted Jill up in her arms. 

 

She'd been slaving away in this room for the last few weeks, getting it ready.  Making it perfect. They'd wanted Jill to be excited about moving in.  Pam had free-handed intricate, colorful butterflies all over the walls.  All in varying patterns and shades. "Do you like it Jilly-Bean?"

 

Jill bit her lip hesitantly, but started to nod before burying her face in Pam's shoulder.

 

Pam rubbed her back in slow circles. "Mommy knows it's different...but it's so much more fun than your old room because you can get even more toys in here.  Isn't that so exciting?"

 

Jill just nodded into her shoulder without a word.

 

Jim smiled fondly at the pair of them as he leaned against the doorjamb.  He reached out to run his fingers through Jill's curls.

 

"Not spoiled at all."

 

"Shush. We have to make her feel comfortable here. She's gonna be homesick."

 

"Pretty sure a mortgage means less toys," Jim said under his breath.

 

"Shush."

 

Jim moved in behind them, finding Jill's eyes.  "Hey...it's your big girl room, because you're such a big girl now."

 

She nodded, still not convinced of said room's greatness. 

 

"Kisses," he said, and she reached out to give him one, her little hands on the sides of his face.  "Just wait, you're gonna love it.  Mommy and Daddy are always, always -

 

"Always, right," Pam finished.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~

-- Talking Head in Jill's room --

 

 

"So Jill how do you feel about your new room?"

 

"Mommy...Mommy puts buttah-flies on the walls..."

 

"You like butterflies?"

 

Jill nodded vigorously.

 

"Tell us what you like so much about butterflies."

 

She just smiled...and then so did they.

~~~~~~~~~~~

 

-- Talking Head on the couch in the red living room --

 

"She started sleeping in a big girl bed months ago and all of a sudden she looks in this room and she says ‘Mommy where's my crib?'...I think she's just feeling out of sorts."

 

"She'll be fine though," Jim said putting his arm around Pam.

 

"Yeah we made a really big deal about how now we can get a dog and that seemed to brighten her up a bit. She's been asking for a dog for the last few months...and pissed at us because we wouldn't get one...She just didn't understand about the apartment...We're so excited she has a yard to play in now."

 

"And getting her a dog means she won't try and name the clown."

 

"Yeah," Pam said turning a radiant smile on him.

 

"Yeah," Jim agreed  pulling Pam a bit closer.  He popped the top on a beer for her and they clinked bottles. "To our new house."

 

"To our new house."

 

Steve cleared his throat after a moment.  It was clear their time was up. "One more thing and we'll get out of your hair for the night...Um, the house is deceptively larger than it looks...and we noticed there are four bedrooms upstairs...and actually there's a room between yours and Jill's...we were wondering why that was."

 

Jim made a face. "Oh, that's...we just thought Jill had more space in the room at the end of the hall."

 

"That's all?"

 

"Yeah.........And because...we'll probably start trying again soon," Pam added cheekily. Her grin widened and she started to laugh at the bomb she'd just dropped

 

"Wow," Jim said blushing instantaneously. "I thought we weren't going to say...Wow. Yeah," he said, finishing with a hand in front of his mouth.  He tried and failed to massage away the grin that held his face captive.

 

"Yeah...Well...we feel kind of...ready...right?"

 

"Right," Jim said still blushing. He looked at her.  "We feel ready." 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans