- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I've been sitting on this idea for a while. Technically, it's a five things story (I suppose the subtitle of it would be "five ways Casino Night could have worked out differently"), but I stole one of the things for my other story, Passing Lane, so I was short a thing. Encouraged by a certain well received smutty line, I decided to take the plunge and make this my first MA story, thereby filling the empty slot. (Uh...TWSS?) It's pretty angsty, but I make up for it in places. Each chapter is a separate universe.

Special thanks to Morning Angel for a very helpful beta.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended. Disclaimer applies to all chapters.
 

When Jim stumbles across Pam saying goodbye to her fiancé in the parking lot, it doesn't hurt at all. How could it, after all this time? He sees them together every day. He planned a trip around the world because he can't figure out a way to say the words I can't watch you marry him. Maybe he gets what he deserves. The jealous part of him is numb these days, doesn't even acknowledge Roy's existence in relation to her.

 

He's been looking for the right moment and it seems like it might never come, because how do you disclose to your best friend that you're taking a promotion three states away? Every morning he arrives for work, nauseous, imagining the look on her face when he says I'm leaving. Don't be sad. I promise to write. Telling her about the transfer will be easier though, than watching her exchange vows with another man. The thought gives him courage, so when they're finally alone, he goes for it, ready for the end, and maybe a new beginning.

 

"Can I talk to you about something?" He wants to get it over with, like ripping off a band-aid, impatient with her jokes. It's not funny, he thinks. I'm in love with you.

"I've been offered a promotion." He blurts it out, tripping a little on the words.

 

She hasn't caught on yet, she's still smiling. "That's great! When did you find out? Are you going to be Dwight's boss?"

 

He ignores her laughter, ignores the icy dread in his gut. "The job is in Connecticut."  Her face crumples and he feels like an asshole. Sometimes it's hard looking out for both their best interests at the same time, a responsibility that unfailing falls to him. "I start as soon as I get back from Australia."

 

"What? Why?" Her voice is a cracked whisper.

 

He can't tell her the real reason, can't even risk the half truth he told the cameras, since he does have a future here. It's just bleak. The lie will be better for her in the long run, anyway. "I thought about what you said on Halloween and, um, last week I called Jan. There's an opening in the Stamford Branch. It's a great opportunity."

 

"What? Can we talk about this?" She grabs his wrist, searches his eyes.

 

It's not fair, the way she asks the question, as though she has some say about the rest of his life. It's not true at all and he desperately, desperately wants it to be. He shakes his head sadly. "It's done, Pam." Every cell in his body aches to put his arms around her, to erase the shocked look on her face. Maybe it's not too late to pretend it was all a really bad prank, go back to being her best friend.

 

No, he thinks, pulling his hand from her grasp, retreating to his car with a last, apologetic shrug. I want more than that.

 


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans