- Text Size +
He hasn’t spoken a word in hours and he knows it’s just a silly game, but it’s theirs. And he knows the rules. He knows she gets a kick out of teasing him, maybe that’s why he goes along with it for as long as he does. Maybe there are other reasons. When she tells him that he can tell her anything, he wonders if he’s said too much, even though he never says a word. The look on her face tells him that he has.

He buys her the Coke after pausing to decide if he should. Talking again means things going back to normal. Talking again means not saying what he wants to say.

=======

She answers the phone, frustrated and ready to go home. She’s irritated and doesn’t say her name, but he knows it’s her anyway. It’s the first time they’ve spoken in months. It may have happened purely by accident, but suddenly they are who they are again and all of those days and weeks gone without talking to each other seem to disappear. She wonders if he can tell by her voice how much she’s missed him, how much it means to hear him tease her and laugh at the silly things she says.

Too soon, though, they’re not them anymore and they’re so far away from each other. It takes a week before she stops getting her hopes up every time the phone rings.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans