- Text Size +

Dancing Around the Competition: Chapter 4

 

            He sat in the break room with a towel securely under his nose.  He knew he shouldn’t have interfered but seeing Roy act like that to her made his blood boil.  He was deep into thought when she peeked her head into the break room that he didn’t even notice her looking at him.

 

            “Hey, are you okay?” Pam asked cautiously.  “Is there anything I can do to help?” She asks as she walks over and takes a seat beside him.

 

            “Nah, don’t worry about me; it was my fault.” Jim replies not able to look her in the eyes while he continued to talk. “I should be apologizing to you and Roy.”

 

            She could feel her heart ache as the words of defeat came out of his mouth.  She looked at him and had the sudden urge to wrap her arms around his shoulders and make him smile once again.

 

            “Jim I’m sorry,” she began to feel the tears well up in her eyes, “I didn’t know he would get so upset about a silly dance.” She said as she wiped away a tear from her eye and cursed before getting up and walking towards the door.

 

            “So I guess your not going then?”  Jim asked as he fought back the pain of knowing the answer before she even said it.  He looked at her with her in his eyes but gives a sad smile to cover up the pain.

 

            “Yeah, he seemed pretty upset about it” Pam replied before looking into his eyes.  The emotion hit her like a train and before she knew it she was walking towards the door, tears falling down her face.  She stops just as she turns the door handle and looks at him one last time. “If it’s any consolation, I was excited to dance with you.  I mean, I really wanted to see those high school dance moves you’re always bragging about.”  She gives a small laugh to cover up the sobbing that is creeping up her throat. Pam turns and walks out the door without looking back.

 Me too Pam, Jim thinks to himself as he grabs himself a grape soda and sits back down in his chair. Me too. “I am excited for tonight’s festivities! I think it is going to be a real Part-tay!”  Michael says with a four year olds’ smile (you know the one, when the smile gets really big.  Like during Christmas for example) Plastered on his face. “Why didn’t I invite the warehouse guys?” Michael repeats the question.  “Well…” The camera zooms in on Michael as a small grin creeps up on his face. 

Michael walks into the break room to find Jim sitting at the table. “Whoa Jim-bo, what happened to you?”  He asks with concern.

 

“Well Michael, I kind of fell on to Roy’s fist.” Jim replies quickly as if to pass it off as a joke.

 

“Really? I hope it is not because I didn’t invite them to our dance, let alone tell them about it.” Michael says as he takes a seat beside Jim.

 

“Michael I was only…” Jim began only to realize what Michael just said. “Wait you didn’t invite them? Why would you do that?” Jim asked as his curiosity grew.

 

 “Well, I’m just looking out for my BFF!” Michael explained as he stood up. “That’s what friends do right?” Michael asks before going back to his office.

 

Jim sat for a second to take in all the information he just got and then walks over to his desk.  As he sits down, he notices he has a new email from Pam:

 Jim,I’m so sorry about what Roy did; I know you were just trying to help. I did not know Roy knew about your old crush though.  I hope you don’t think that I told him because I would never want to put you in a position like that.  I just wanted to apologize.  Sorry I can’t make it tonight.  You’ll find some other girl to dance with.  If you haven’t noticed I left early (I wasn’t feeling good).  But don’t worry; I left something for you to do while I’m gone. PamPs: We are still friends right? 

            He smiled as he read the last question. Best friends, he wrote and sent the email back to her.  He clicked on the link and smiled as SUDOKU came up on his screen.  His smile faded away when he saw the high score.

 Level: ModerateTime: 19:05Username: PH 

            He glanced around the room before he let his smile spread across his face.  He looked at the time and decided to get changed into his prom suit.  As he got up, he bookmarked to page and closed the window. 

 

            It was probably just a typo, but I’ll take it. He thought to himself while leaving the office.

Chapter End Notes:
There it is! The next chapter will be the dance! It will also be the last chapter!! What will happen? DUH DUH! I still have to edit the last chapter!  Please keep reviewing!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans