- Text Size +
Story Notes:

The concept that keeps on giving. I've included more authors' notes on this cycle to clarify, since my little universe is growing more complicated with each theme. Again, all you really need to know is that it's AU from the end of The Merger (spoilers only until that episode) because I decided that Jim and Pam should make out instead. I'm just looking out for their best interests.

For Morning Angel, because she saved the day with a way better title.

Author's Chapter Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

Michael approaches Jim's desk in that halting step he uses when he's brimming with something he thinks is funny. Jim leans back in his chair, exchanges a brief glance with Pam. She offers a sympathetic grimace.

 

"Hey, Jimbo. Just Jim. I discovered something on Google today that I think you need to know." Michael's practically hopping with anticipation.

 

It's easier to just surrender, allow him to have his fun and move on. "What's that, Michael?"

 

A sort of squawky gasp escapes before the punch line. "Did you know that Uranus is four times the size of the Earth?"

 

Jim forces a smile of appreciation. "Good one. You really got me that time."

Michael retreats to his office, after shooting a pleased glance to the camera, and it's no surprise, when later in the day, Toby announces that they're having a sexual harassment seminar.

 

*

 

The talk is a disaster, of course. Toby keeps everything basic, as short as possible. It seems like they might be able to get back to not working soon, until Michael arrives breathlessly, an inflated sex doll under his arm. This is going to be both entertaining and horrifying. The best mix, what Jim calls The Michael Scott Special. He settles back to enjoy the show, too amused by Michael's story about Pam being a lesbian to be turned on. He can't resist turning in his chair to see her reaction. She doesn't disappoint. By the time Michael suggests Pam demonstrate making out with the doll, he's shaking with barely contained laughter.

 

*

 

During their morning break, despite her earlier humiliation, Pam's delight is contagious. "Can you believe my mom's never been here?"

 

He watches her meticulously picking at a chocolate bar, like she has some secret system to make it taste better. "I'm really excited to meet your mom." It slips out, before he can consider what it sounds like.

 

She glances up from her snack like he's the biggest dork she's ever seen. "You are?"

 

Embarrassed that he's revealed too much, he turns it into a joke about her childhood desire to be a receptionist. She buys it completely and smiles the smile that always melts his heart and makes him think he might have a chance. If he can make her happy enough, maybe it will dawn on her that she's marrying the wrong guy. It's not a plan of action, yet. More like a theory that needs further testing.

 

When Jim's back at his desk, he spots the sex doll abandoned in the arm chair by reception. Pam is on the phone and he wanders over casually, scoops the toy up under his arm. Pam glances up and immediately ends her call. "What are you doing?"

 

He shrugs, the cheap plastic seams scraping the inside of his forearm. "Picking up my date. We have lunch plans."

 

"Oh, is that right? Well, try to keep it under Toby's radar, or you'll have to disclose the relationship to HR."

 

"Don't worry, Beesley, I'm heading in for my confessional. A tell-all exposé about inter-racial dating. I'm not afraid to let the world how I feel about this beautiful woman." He hugs the doll against his side, but can't quite tear his eyes away from Pam's. It would be unbelievable to walk into that room and say what he really feels, instead of the usual double talk and half-truths. He wants to say I'm in an office relationship, for real.

 

With a laugh, Pam hops out from behind her desk and tries to stop him, tugs on a vinyl leg. They play a short game of keep away. Jim wriggles free, making a break for the conference room. "You're going to pop my girlfriend!"

 

"My mom is going to be here any minute. Don't you dare!"

 

"I'm sorry, did you just say dare? It's totally happening." He steps into the conference room and greets the camera crew. "Hey, guys. Is it okay if I bring a friend?" He turns back to shut the door and gives Pam a mischievous smile. "Later, Beesley. When your mom gets here, make sure you send her in to say hi." He closes the door on her astonished face.

 

*

 

When he finishes his confessional, he leaves his European girlfriend on the top of Michael's cabinet. As he sits down, Pam gives him an approving nod. It's almost as good as a kiss.

 

 


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans