- Text Size +

 

The third time Jim and Karen fight, she's actually a witness to it. It's after the Valentine's Day party, and she stays behind to clean up. She's by herself in the conference room, wiping the table with a wet sponge, and she sees them. Jim's sitting at his desk, and Karen's standing next to him with her arms folded.

"I told you," she hears Karen say loudly. "You asked me what I wanted, and I told you. This is our first Valentine's Day, Jim."

"I know," she hears him say.

"Well, how hard is it to actually just go along with what I want for once?"

"For once? Karen-"

"Jim, I said it was okay, and that we didn't have to go out and do anything fancy. Which is why I offered to make dinner at my place. And now you're going to bail on me for that, too?"

"Karen, I'm not bailing-"

"You know what? I don't want to talk about it anymore. Call me if you decide that I'm important enough for you to hang out with."

Pam turns away as she sees Karen storm off with her coat on, a bouquet of pink roses under her arm that (apparently) Jim had gotten for her.

She quietly begins arranging the chairs around the conference table. Not getting involved, she thinks. Not doing it.

But when she turns around to put a chair on the other side of the table, Jim standing there, leaning against the door frame, hands in his pockets.

"So, I guess you probably heard that, huh." He smirks.

She doesn't answer at first because she can't decide whether to lie and say, heard what? Or be honest and say, yeah...sucks.

He doesn't wait for her response, though. He slumps into a chair against the window of the conference room, swinging his knees together. "I don't know what to do," he says.

"Well, what happened?" She gives him her full attention and perches on the edge of the table, folding her arms over her stomach.

"We had it planned that I'd go over to her apartment tonight. Because it's Valentine's Day." He sounds angry and says "Valentine's Day" like the way people say fuck or shit.

"And?" She prompts.

He rubs his face with his hands. "And I told her I couldn't do it tonight. I told her my brother and his wife are in town, and that my mom's making dinner, and that she can come if she wants. You know I only get to see them once in a while."

She nods.

"So when I said that, she pretty much flew off the handle, as you may or may not have witnessed."

"I don't understand what the problem is. You said she could come."

"I know. But obviously, she wanted to spend tonight alone, with just us. And she just doesn't get it."

"Well, that's kind of unfair of her."

"Kind of?" He laughs. "I knew it. You're all the same. I'm done talking to you, Beesly." He pretends to get up.

Her heart warms at the sound of her last name.

"Hey!" She giggles, throwing a red, crumpled-up paper napkin at him. It bounces off of his chest.

"And now you're throwing garbage at me? That's it." He tosses it back at her and it hits her left shoulder.

"Okay, seriously. This is my advice," she says as she stops laughing.

"I'm listening."

"Call her right now. Tell her how important it is that you spend time with your family. Tell her that you want her to be there. Tell her anything, just don't let your girlfriend be mad at you on Valentine's Day. Trust me."

She watches his face fall, and immediately she wonders what it is that she's said that makes him do that.

"Yeah," he nods solemnly. "I guess."

They're silent for a moment.

"Oh, hey!" Pam says brightly. "I almost forgot. I have a present for you."

"Wow. First Christmas, now Valentine's Day?"

"Well, it's not much. Don't get your hopes up." She runs behind her desk and he follows her.

"This is for you." She hands him a tiny brown teddy bear holding a little bag of red jelly beans. "I know you like the red ones. Or, you did."

He smiles, the teddy bear looking really small in his big hands and she feels her face getting hot. "I mean, I was going to give it to one of the Vance Refrigeration guys, but I thought it would cheer you up."

"Um, thanks."

"Actually, I'll be totally honest with you. Phyllis gave it to me because I think she felt sorry for me."

"And now you're giving it to me because you feel sorry for me? So I've inherited your pity gift."

"Sort of."

They walk out separately and leave in separate cars, going separate destinations. But as she's driving home to her empty apartment, she feels like it's the most together they've been in a really long time.

 


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans