- Text Size +
Title: Not Going There

Author: Emilie

Fandom: The Office

Pairing: Jim/Pam. Karen and Dwight mentioned.

Rating: G

Summary: Set the night of The Return. This has got to be the longest elevator ride ever.

Word Count: 642

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Author's Note: This is actually my second TO fic, but I still think it's very amateurish, so I apologize.

---

Faces flushed with the excitement after watching Dwight make an idiot of himself, they were still laughing by the time they got onto the elevator. After a few moments, Jim shook his head and stared at his glossed-over reflection in the closed doors. "You wanna know a secret?"

Pam didn't miss a beat. "You missed Dwight."

He let his head fall forward in exaggerated resignation. "Crap, I'm really that transparent?"

"Yes," she answered in matter-of-fact tone, barely containing an amused smile. "I could see the joy in your eyes when he walked back into your life from a mile away."

He rolled his eyes at her. "Oh, come on."

"Guess what, Jim Halpert? You love Dwight Schrute."

Jim gave in and nodded, giving himself a far-off look. "You got me. I love him, I do. I've tried to keep it a secret but I knew it wouldn't be too long before someone found my notebook with Mrs. Jim Schrute scribbled inside."

Pam grinned from ear to ear, bouncing a little on her feet like she always did when they got going. "You think they'll make a movie about you two? Maybe...Scrantonback?"

"Scrantonback?" Jim shook his head, mocking disappointment. "Come on, Beesly."

"Hey, give me a break, it's late and I'm tired. That broken brain joke I made earlier took a lot out of me." She wrapped her arms around herself after a moment when silence settled over them again, turning so she faced the doors. Their reflections stared back at them accusingly until Pam wasn't smiling anymore. "So what happened to Karen?"

Jim kept an even look on his face. "I dunno. Probably went home."

She looked a little concerned, maybe because he didn't seem to be. "I mean, one minute she was there and then she was gone. I hope she's okay."

"M'sure she is. Probably just got bored with the party," he offered a small smile as he said it. If he smiled then maybe he wouldn't feel so bad about lying. God, he was getting sick of lying. "She hasn't been here for that long, I'm sure sooner or later she'll figure out that nothing ever goes as planned during these things."

Pam looked up from her shoes as she laughed, shaking her head. "Did any of the pinatas survive?"

"Nope. Not even that leftover one you left behind your desk."

Her eyes widened. "Oh my God, Pinky?"

Jim snorted, "What...Pinky? You named the last pinata?"

Her cheeks flushed a little as she tried to play it off with a shrug. "Hey, you know, it was blue and pink and cute and it looked lonely in the corner. Besides, every time Andy came over to bug me about where Michael was, all I had to do was pretend I was putting the finishing touches on--stop laughing!"

He couldn't help it, only managing one word as he laughed and defended himself against her tiny but effective arm-punches. "Wow."

"I hate you." There was no sting to her words; there never was.

"Good, because if you loved me then that'd be..." He'd intended it as a joke about Scrantonback but when the words fell out of his mouth, his stomach tightened and all of a sudden the silence felt very, very suffocating. Finally, awkwardly, he finished what he was saying. "...bad timing. Since I'm--you know, since my loins burn only for the Almighty Schrute."

Thankfully, Pam had gotten to be quite the expert at putting out particular awkward fires when he was in Stamford and responded almost immediately. "Oh God, is that some kinda gross innuendo for his..." She shook her head vehemently. "Okay, yeah, I'm...not going there."

finis
Chapter End Notes:
Second TO and Jim/Pam fic. Be gentle.


thisisironic is the author of 1 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked Not Going There also liked 316 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans