- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
The beginning of Dwight and Jim.  Bringing their relationship full circle. Written by Bennie.

 

Jim sits next to Dwight in the conference room.  A Sales Call.  Their first together in 2 years.  In spite of himself, he feels a little excited.

 

They don’t talk about what approach they’re going to use on the way over.  Leaning against the car while Dwight headbangs inside, Jim taps his foot and feels five years younger.  He’s glad he’s on the outside of the car, this time.

 

The minute Dwight asks to use the phone, Jim knows which way they’re going, and that they would close the deal.  It works every time (except for the time Kelly put them on hold), and is Dwight’s favorite; it’s one of the first “tricks” he taught Jim after he first started.

 

They’re on their way back when Jim can feel drumming on his headrest, can hear familiar humming.  They’re alone, and Jim thinks, what the hell.

 

“Dwight, I’ve got to ask you.”

 

The drumming stops.

 

“What?”

 

“What song is that?”

 

“What song is what?”

 

“You always used to hum that song after we closed a sale, and now you’re doing it again.  I’ve always…I just wondered what song it was.”

 

The backseat becomes quiet, and Jim takes an opportunity at the next light to look back.  Dwight is looking out the window.  “Dwight.  Is it some Motley Crue song?  Iron Maiden?”

 

“I made it up.”

 

“Wow, I had no idea you were in a band.”

 

“It’s not..just stop, Jim.  It’s just a song I made up for us.”

 

“For us.”

 

“Like a theme song.  Every team needs a theme song.”

 

“Oh.”  Jim doesn’t quite know what else to say, and he’s relieved when Dwight changes the subject to Karen.

 

He’s returning from coffee, moving from one awkward situation to another as Dwight approaches him slowly, pulling him into a hug.  They stand there for a moment, and Dwight doesn’t speak after he releases him and walks away.  Jim feels like something just ended.

 

He and Karen get on the elevator, and when as the doors close she finally speaks.

 

“So, that was weird.”

 

Jim almost smiles to himself for a moment, thinking, until Karen nudges him with her elbow.

 

“No, that was Dwight.”




Bennie is the author of 28 other stories.
69 cups of noodles is the author of 31 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked when we realized that the world could be conquered also liked 210 other stories.
This story is part of the series, we're like one of those classic teams....

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans