- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Oh, check it out...2 for the price of one. I wrote this one first, but I figured you needed chapter 1 so, here's this one. I hope to get the third chapter up by tomorrow night.
 

There are only a few suit jackets and shawls hanging around her.  It's as it should be on a warm June evening in Scranton, but she wishes it had been colder out.  More jackets to hide her from the world around her. 

Her shoes have long been discarded - rather, Kelly's shoes have been discarded.  She's pulled her knees up close to her face and, though she doesn't want make-up on her white dress, she leans her cheek against the soft material. 

She prays that no one finds her - she also prays she doesn't cry all over her dress.  She was supposed to cry at the ceremony, not at the reception.  She sniffles and misses the footsteps at the doorway.

"Pam?"

She refuses to look up at first, though she knows it's him.  It's fitting that he finds her.  He always seems to find her when she's about to cry.  When she does look up he's got his hands shoved in his pockets like usual.  There's a smile tugging on his lips - it's not funny that she's in the coatroom at her reception, but he's smiling.

"Whatcha doing in here?"

"Hiding."  It slips off her tongue teasingly, like a child playing hide and go seek.

"How come?"  He sits now, mimicking her - knees to his chest, arms crossed, chin resting on top.

Her face fell.  This was no lighthearted game.  "I couldn't be in there any more."

"Why?"

"I was in there watching Roy and Kenny get drunk and all I could think was that I was going to pass out or throw up.  I just - I had to get out of there."

He nods.

"He was late.  Did you know that?"  She pauses, waiting for an answer - he just looks at her.  "He was twenty minutes late to his own wedding.  And then, I bought him some gold cufflinks that I couldn't afford, but I wanted him to have them.  He lost them.  He forgot his vows.  He shoved cake in my face when I asked him not to.  He didn't want to dance.  Now he's drunk.  And you know what?  He never once told me I looked pretty today." 

He's quiet for a moment, but then says what he knows she needs to hear, "I was here early.  The wedding started at four.  I was here at 3:15.  I bought a new tie for today.  I thought your vows were lovely.  The cake was delicious.  I'd love to dance with you.  I've only had two glasses of wine.  But, you know, you aren't pretty today."

"What?"

"You're absolutely beautiful."

There were tears in her eyes before she could fully process what he had said.  She was sitting on the floor in the coatroom of a reception hall in her wedding dress across from the man who admitted his feelings for her a month before.  She drops her head and sniffles a few times before raising it again.

"Pam?  Are you okay?"

"I think I've made the biggest mistake of my life."

"Don't say that.  You love Roy and you married him."

"Yeah, but-"

"No.  You have to remind yourself that you love Roy, even with his faults, and that you married him because you love him.  No matter what I've said or done, you can't think that I don't want you to go back in there and be happy, okay?"

She nods.

"Hey, Beesly."

"I'm not Beesly anymore."

"Ah, that's right Mrs. Anderson.  Oh God."

"What?"

"I just realized that your name is Pamela Anderson.  You know, that means you'll have to buy a red bathing suit and-"

"Shut up.  Seriously, I've heard it all from Michael.  So, just, Beesly is fine."

"Good.  Now go back in there and enjoy your reception."  He nods to the door, but she waits for him.

"Come and dance with me?"

He stands and extends his hand to her, pulling her up to stand beside him. "No, but we can go sway for a bit."

She nods again, smiling up at him.  "You're my best friend, you know that?"

"Yeah, I know."


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans