- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

One little epilogue to go folks!  Thanks for all your support :) Emily Halpert and cri-man-squa are lovely for all their help! Hope you enjoy the (almost) ending. 

 

 

Two Weeks Later...     

      

Michael sits at his desk, a very sullen expression on his face.  The cameraman, trying to be polite, asks him if he's doing okay.  "No, I am not okay.  I am having a very bad week.  I did not get the job in corporate like I had planned.  Jim, Karen and I were all fighting for the same job, a la Survivor... and it turns out that the strongest man, or should I say woman, survived.  Karen got the cool New York apartment, the job... the ladies, if that's what she so desires.  I probably could have enjoyed that perk more than her."  He looks ... "And to top it all off, I was going to make Ants on a Log, but the store only had chunky and I wanted it creamy."  He purses his lips, a small grin escaping.  "That's what she said."   

 ---   

   

"Yes, Karen moved to New York to work at Corporate.  And I am very happy for her."  He nods, hoping his physical actions will help his words feel genuine.  "Not getting the job... It's for the best.  I've had some very...compelling offers here in Scranton.  And my prospects are looking good, so... it's for the best."  He grins at the camera, a sincere sense of happiness and excitement in his eyes.   

 ---   

Pam grabbed her jacket, looking around the office, noting that only she and Jim remained loitering after hours.  "All set?"     

   

Jim nods in agreement and throws his bag over his shoulder.  Pam shuts off the lights and the duo patiently wait for the elevator doors to open and close the awkward silence that threatens to overcome them.     

   

The ding pulls them into the elevator and they ride down in silence.  The elevator suddenly jars and the lights blink off.  But the momentum is enough to throw Pam off her balance.  Her legs buckle underneath her, she falls in Jim's direction, and he instinctively reaches his arms out to steady her.     

   

"Whoa."  Jim breathes out loudly and clears his throat.  She's frozen.  She cannot control her motions or hear any thoughts.  Her heart races and all the blood seems to gather in two pink pools in her face.  The elevator pulls and continues its descent downward.   

   

"Sorry" she whispers and finally regains control of her body.  She gathers her purse and belongings and finds the strength to make her way out of the elevator.   

   

"Not a problem," Jim replies to her." Have a good one."    

   

She smiles but words can't seem to percolate in her throat.

 

She walks slightly behind him on their walk to their cards, as she's gotten used to watching his actions from this angle.  She feels embarrassed that she feels like a teenager when her fingers slightly brush against his.  You know it's not like that with you two anymore.  She can't help but feel that hidden energy and slight bit of electricity that occurs throughout her body whenever she's in his presence.     

   

She nods as a way to say goodbye, hoping not embarrass herself any further.  Her fingers pull the car door handle open and she notices a small metallic object sitting on her drivers seat.  She knows the sender can only be the one person who just happened to be parked next to her.  

    

"Jim?"  She calls out, her voice cracking with a mixture of confusion and giddiness.  Looking innocent, he slowly walks away from his car and towards hers.

    

"Something wrong, Pam?"  His expression is genuinely concerned.

    

She holds up the tambourine with a smile.  "What's this?" 

  

"You got a secret admirer I should know about, Pam?"  He gives her a grin that proves he's the culprit.   

   

 "Oh, yeah.  Well, you know me.  I mean, Michael did almost have me up there doing a table dance... So who knows who this is from?  I may have hundreds of admirers."    

 

"Hundreds.  Really?" 

 

"Yes, Jim, I'm very good at what I do." 

 

"I see.  You are good at what you do."  He smiles to himself at the sincerity of his words--to him, she is beyond good.   "You know, it's not every day you can find a girl who'll reenact a teenage romantic comedy in front of Michael. "  His fingers brush the drumhead, acknowledging his gift once more.  "Besides, it's a real shame if a girl goes through life without getting a tambourine." He proclaims proudly and they both share a knowing smile as they both replay the memory in their head.

 

"Oh, God." Pam scoffs as she shakes her curls back and forth.  "I can't believe you remembered that!"

 

Jim takes this as his chance and brushes a lost curl back into its place as he leans in and bridges the gap between their lips. They mesh together in the moment and revel in how right it feels.  He pulls his hands down her arms to wrap himself around her. The electricity of the moment shocks him enough to pull his lips away to ask, "So, Pam" he pauses to lick his lips and tastes the faint hint of Pam. He rests his forehead lightly against hers. "What do you think, good memory or bad?" 

 

She cocks her head, as if to be critically analyzing her response.  She slides her hands through the vaguely familiar hair and pulls his head back towards hers and mashes her lips against his.  As fast as she had started the movement, she stops and states "Good." Pam pulls her head back towards his.  He wraps his arms around her even tighter and reiterates, "Definitely a good one." 

 

Chapter End Notes:
It's cheesy, I know.  But it's worth it, right? :) 


WildBerryJam is the author of 18 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 7 members. Members who liked 10 Things I Hate About Scranton also liked 1823 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans