- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I struggled a bit with this chapter, and the final product would not even be in existence without the help of Cousin Mose and Becky215.  You guys rock harder than Scrantonicity :)

 Enjoy!

“I have two rules.”

“Let’s hear them,” Jim smiled.

“One: nothing, and I mean nothing, from the ‘80s.” Pam held up her index finger, her face stern.

“Fair enough.”

“Two:  You even mention the words ‘The Rose,’ and this relationship is over.”

“But…” Jim feigned indignation.  “But I love Bette Midler!”

“Jim,” Pam pointed her finger further out at him as a warning.

“Oh come on, Beesly, you know I’m kidding.  And those rules are fair enough, so let’s get to pickin’.”

The Saturday afternoon sun spilled into their living room, still bare save for an armchair that they were forcing to fit two as Pam nestled in his lap, her iPod shared between them.

“Tell me again why we’re not just going with the song from the parking lot?” Jim asked, remembering the evening where another iPod was used in a very similar way as it was now.

“Because as nice as that night was, it doesn’t take away from the fact that I was with Roy and the whole time I was feeling guilty for being so close to you.”

Jim frowned.  “The whole time?”

“Well…not the whole time.  At one point I just wanted take you right there in the parking lot,” Pam winked.

“All right then,” Jim cleared his throat.  “We’ll get back to that interesting fact later.  For now, I want to hear some of the contenders,” Jim did his best Marlon Brando impression.

“Okay, so this one is called ‘All For You’,” Pam declared, selecting the song and turning the volume up.

It’s hard to say what it is I see in you
Wonder if I’ll always be with you
Words can’t say and I can’t do
Enough to prove it’s all for you


They bobbed their heads to the beat, and finally Jim shrugged.

“Not bad, it sure is catchy.”

Pam frowned.  “Yeah, but the lyrics aren’t quite right.  As far as I’m concerned, I’m not wondering if I’ll always be with you.  I think it’s a pretty sure thing.”

Jim kissed her cheek.  “You got that right.  What else is there?”

“Next up,” Pam said in her best DJ voice.  “We have the Goo Goo Dolls with ‘Let Love In.’”

And you’re the only one I ever believed in
The answer that could never be found
The moment you decided to let love in


Jim scrunched his nose.  “I like the song, but…don’t you think it’s a bit…dramatic?  Like a soundtrack to our relationship or something?”

“Yeah, you’re right.  Okay next—wait, damn it!”  Pam attempted to pause the song but instead hit play on a song she never meant for Jim to hear.

When he realized what it was, his eyes lit up in delight and he snatched the iPod away from her.

“Kansas?” he said incredulously.  “You have ‘The Greatest Hits of Kansas’ on your iPod?”

Pam squirmed out of his lap to better reach the iPod, but Jim stood and held it high over his head.

“Give it back!” Pam squealed.

“I had no idea they even had greatest hits.”

“Jim, please!” she begged, practically jumping to try and reach the iPod.

“Carry on my wayward son, for there’ll be peace when you are done,” Jim sang.

Pam buried her face in her hands, shaking her head in embarrassment.

“I cannot believe you found that.”

“It’s the power of ‘shuffle,’ Pam.  And you know,” Jim put a finger to his chin, looking deep in thought.  “I think our search is over.”

Pam lifted her head and glared at him. “ ‘Carry On My Wayward Son’ is not going to be our song.”

“After this little episode, I’m not exactly sure how it couldn’t be.  Such beautiful lyrics, such a heart-warming melody,” he teased, taking delight in the pink blush that filled her cheeks and the way she tried to be mad but couldn’t help but smile.

“I’ll tell you what,” Jim began, using his salesman voice that Pam always heard when he was about to close a deal.  She crossed her arms and waited for the pitch.

“We’ll shuffle it one more time, and we either stick with the song that comes up, or its Kansas.  Forever,” he added for dramatic effect.

Pam bit her lip.  “That’s awfully risky.”

Jim shrugged.  “Okay, if you’re happy with an old rock band, that’s fine with me…”

“Alright, alright, I’ll do it,” she said, finally retrieving the iPod from his outstretched hands.  

She took a deep breath as she placed her finger on the ‘next’ button.

“Ready?”

Jim nodded.

Pam shut her eyes tight and pressed down on the button, waiting to hear what the random music gods had chosen.

A soft piano melody filled their ears, and both looked at each other in surprised delight.

There’s something in your eyes,
Makes me wanna lose myself
Makes me wanna lose myself
In your arms


Pam’s face broke out into a grin.

“What do you think?”

Jim shushed her, a smile of his own appearing as he absorbed the lyrics and tune.

There’s something in your voice
Makes my heart beat fast
Hope this feeling lasts
The rest of my life


Pam waited for his approval, and as he took her into his arms, their bodies moving in the empty living room to the slow rhythm, she knew the search was over.

If you knew how lonely
My life has been
And how long I’ve been so alone
If you knew how I wanted someone
To come along
And change my life the way you’ve done


“Pam,” Jim whispered into her ear.

“Hmm?”

“I don’t think we’re in Kansas anymore,” he said softly, kissing her temple.

“Because that joke has never been done before,” Pam teased.

“Less attitude and more swaying, Beesly.”

“I thought this was dancing.”

“You talk too much.”

She smiled and immersed herself into him, the music, and the overwhelming feeling of contentment that had steadily become more and more present in her life.

The song ended and both let out a sigh, neither moving from their embrace.

“Well,” Jim said after a few moments.  “I guess there’s only one thing left to do.”

Pam gave a mischievous grin.  “What’s that?”

“See if there are any good boy bands in here,” Jim wagged the iPod and darted off to their bedroom.

“Jim!” Pam squealed, running after him as the sound of laughter echoed through their empty home.

Chapter End Notes:

Their song, in case you were wondering, is called "Feels Like Home" by Chantal Kreviazuk.  I highly recommend it.  

You know what else I recommend?  Reviewing :) It makes my day.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans