- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I wonder if Becky215 and Cousin Mose ever get sick of me talking about how great they are all the time. Either way, this chapter wouldn't be here without the help of these two. Seriously.

Enjoy!

“What about this one?”

“I don’t know, it doesn’t really seem like one she would pick.”

“They’re very popular.”

“I know, but she deserves something unique.”

“Sir, I’ve shown you nearly everything we have.”

“Wait,” Jim held up a hand. “Can I see that one?”

“That one?”

Jim nodded and the salesman reluctantly complied. He unlocked the case and pulled out what Jim had so suddenly fell in love with.

“Hey little one,” Jim smiled as he held the small bundle of fur up to his face. “How ya’ doin?”

The puppy let out a high-pitched bark in reply before eagerly licking Jim’s nose. Jim swore that if dogs could smile, this one was beaming.

“I think this is it,” he announced, attempting to cradle the wriggling dog in his arms. “And so I can stop calling it ‘it’, what exactly are we looking at here?” Jim lifted the dog up, hoping to find some clue of whether he was holding a “he” or a “she.”

The salesman rolled his eyes. “It’s a girl. See that diamond marking on her forehead? That should have been your first clue.”

Jim smirked. “They like them no matter what the species, huh?”

“You got it,” the man said, clapping Jim on the back.

Jim turned the dog towards him to take a better look in what he would soon be investing. She was certainly tiny, with a short brown coat that was quickly making itself present on Jim’s black sweater. White fur stretched across her belly and dabbed at the front of her paws, while a short tail whipped happily across Jim’s stomach. And her signature trademark was indeed a patch of white fur in the shape of a diamond, placed prominently on the top of her head and dipped into the furrow of her little brow.

“Alright miss,” Jim said in mock sternness. “Ready to go meet Pam?”

The puppy cocked her head to the side in confusion, and for a moment, Jim thought he could see one of his expressions in hers. He took it as a sign.

xxx

He turned it over and over in his head, but Jim couldn’t think of a way to present Yet-to-be-Named to Pam that wasn’t completely overdone. He didn’t trust himself to wrap her up as a present, and frankly, the dog didn’t seem to be able to stop moving as he watched it run laps around the house.

“Let’s at least make you look presentable,” he said, wrangling her up and reaching for the purple collar he purchased along with her. He heard Pam’s car pull into the driveway and in a last minute effort, put the dog in the bedroom. His heart broke a little as the puppy let out a small whimper and looked at him with brown eyes that said how could you do this to me?

“Give me two minutes and you can get leftovers from dinner.”

Jim shut the door and prayed that she would stay quiet long enough for him to surprise Pam. He stashed away all the other dog essentials he bought that day and tried to make himself look as casual as possible on the couch, newspaper in hand. Jim took a deep breath as he heard her keys jingle in the doorway and glanced up as she came in, breathless and toting bags of groceries.

“Hey you,” she said peeking over the brown bags, navigating her way into the kitchen.

“How was your sister’s?”

Pam laughed. “Another crisis averted. I managed to talk her out of green for her bridesmaid’s dresses.”

“Angela would be so proud.”

Pam plopped on the couch next to him with a bright smile and a quick kiss.

“Hi.”

“Hi yourself.”

“What did you do today?” she asked, stealing the comics from his paper.

“Oh you know, did some dishes, did some laundry, bought a diamond.”

Jim suppressed a smile as he felt Pam stiffen beside him.

“I’m sorry, what?”

“I did laundry. Shocking, I know, but believe it or not I can work our new washing machine.”

“No,” Pam threw the comics down on the coffee table and turned to him. “The other part?”

“Dishes? They really needed to be done. I’m more domestic than you think, Beesly.”

Pam then grabbed the paper out of his hands. “Jim.”

“Oh, you mean the diamond. It’s in the bedroom.”

Pam’s wide eyes wandered to their bedroom and pointed a finger towards it. “The bedroom?”

“Yeah, go take a look,” Jim said, attempting to sound casual but the smile he couldn’t hide any longer betraying his light tone.

She stood and slowly made her way over to the bedroom, glancing back at him with a suspicious stare.

“What did you do?”

Jim shrugged and sat up as she neared the door. She had barely opened it when the puppy came charging at her feet, jumping excitedly around her.

“Oh my God!” she squealed, gathering the dog up with more luck than Jim previously had. She shot him a mock glare. “You jerk, I can’t believe you did that!”

“Hey, I didn’t lie,” he said, raising his hands up in innocence as he made his way over to her. “She does have a diamond. See?” He scratched the top of the puppy’s head right where the diamond lay, prompting her leg to start thumping in happiness.

“You’re lucky she’s so cute or else you would be in so much trouble right now. Yes, he would!” Pam nuzzled her face into the dog’s neck, using a voice Jim only heard around babies.

“Does she have a name?” Pam asked, not taking her eyes off the squirming puppy.

“Nope. I left that honor to you. Diamonds are a girl’s best friend, after all.”

“Cute,” Pam playfully hit him in the arm. “In that case, how about Marilyn? Tiffany?”

“Very funny.”

Pam thought for a moment. “How about Hope?”

“As in the Hope diamond?”

“Why not? It’s valuable, people admire it—“

“And it’s cursed. Sounds about right for this handful,” he remarked, watching her gnaw on Pam’s curls.

“Then it’s settled,” she said as Hope let out a large yawn. Pam kissed the diamond-shaped fur before turning to Jim. “Thank you.”

“You’re very welcome. As long as Hope isn’t the jealous type…” Jim trailed off.

“What do you mean?”

“I mean she’s going to have to make room for another diamond one of these days.” He scratched the dog’s ears and gave a shy smile. “Think she can handle it?”

Pam blushed and looked at him with so much love and trust that Jim wondered if he could just slip Hope on her ring finger right then and there. But he didn’t, he just watched as Pam gently stroked his cheek with her thumb.

“I hope so.”

Chapter End Notes:

Oh and I forgot to mention, the "Marilyn and Tiffany" joke was all Miss Becky215's idea.  Just had to give credit where credit was due .

There's only one way for you to tell me what you think, and that is reviewing :)


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans