- Text Size +
Story Notes:

This is one of my favorite Smith's songs, and as I listened to it last night the lyrics seemed pretty appropriate for Jim's situation driving back to Scranton after his interview in New York.

I'm not a writer, but I just wanted to set up this little scene as I imagined it.

 Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

He pulled out onto the highway, racing back to an uncertain future. He WAS certain of one thing, that he would only do what HE wanted from now on.
The mix cd Karen had made was still in the cd player, full of music he politely agreed to liking, normal top 40 fare, nothing terrible, but not his taste. How many other things had he let slide like that? Too many he thought to himself. He had never felt comfortable enough with Karen to dispute her taste in music, or anything else for that matter. He had nonchalantly agreed to a life, that over the last six months, had seemed foreign to him.
He reached up into the cd visor searching for one of the the cd's that had preceded his life with her. He slid out Hatful Of Hollow by the Smiths, his old standby. Switching out the music, he remembered the last time he had listened to this album. It was on his way to work, the day of the casino night, when he had laid everything on the line. Forwarding the tracks to number 16 he listened to the lyrics just as he had then:

Good times for a change
See, the luck I've had
Can make a good man
Turn bad

So please please please
Let me, let me, let me
Let me get what I want
This time

Haven't had a dream in a long time
See, the life I've had
Can make a good man bad


So for once in my life
Let me get what I want
Lord knows, it would be the first time
Lord knows, it would be the first time

Somehow he knew the outcome would be different this time, and he smiled to himself as he pulled into the parking lot.


big haircut is the author of 0 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want also liked 1048 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans