- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Just needed to write some present-time happy fluff. Do not operate heavy machinery while reading this story. Do go listen to some Travis.

No copywrite infringement intended. I'm just exploring the possibilities....

Pam knew things were different the minute she walked into the office to start the day. Jim's post-Stamford desk was gone - completely gone. The boxes that had been stacked along the far wall had been returned to their previous spot in front of Dwight's desk, and Jim was sitting at his original desk, the sight line from his face to hers once again clear. He was finally back in his old place.

"Good Morning, Pam," he smiled, as if it were just another regular day.

"Good Morning, Jim," she smiled back. She could tell he was waiting for her to comment on the changes, so she decided to pretend she hadn't noticed. She sat down at her desk, and flipped her computer on. She looked up while she waited, her eyes falling naturally to where Jim's neck was. Or rather, where it had been for the last six months. She glanced over to where he was now, and saw him grinning at her. He'd caught her mistake, and she glanced quickly down at her desk, slightly embarrassed as she realized he now had proof of just how automatic looking over at him had been all these months.

He got up and walked over to her desk. As he leaned over to place a bag of jelly beans in front of her, she noticed that his sleeves were cuffed up. She gave him a look that said she noticed, but her words said other things.

"What are these?"

"Jelly beans."

"I can see that. Why are you giving them to me?"

"It's a new mix - all the tropical flavors. I found them at the store this morning and figured you probably could use a fresh supply." Jim picked out a few from the bag as soon as Pam had opened it. "You'll be happy to discover that I think margarita is one of the flavors in there."

"Oh good. I like to mix the watermelon ones with the margarita ones." She grinned up at him. "Thanks. This bag should probably last quite a while."

"I wouldn't be so certain," he said, reaching in the bag for a handful. "I woke up this morning with a craving for sweets that I haven't had in a long time."

Pam stood up and emptied the candy jar of the current regular jelly beans and then filled them with the new tropical Jelly Bellies. Jim took a few more from the container, and continued to stand at Pam's desk. He greeted Kevin and Oscar as they came in, and Toby when he arrived five minutes later.

"I guess I should get back to work," Jim finally said.

"That's kind of why you're here," she replied, teasingly.

"Yeah, right," he scoffed as he turned to walk away.

"Hey," she called. He turned around and she gestured him back over. "You know, I just noticed something."

He walked back, looking very pleased. "What have you noticed?"

"If you would let your hair grow a bit longer and gained about ten pounds, you'd be a dead ringer for a guy I used to know."

Jim raised his eyebrows. "Really?"

"Yeah, really," Pam grinned.

"Was he cute?"

"Adorkable."

"Nice," he replied, then did a double take. "Did you just say a-dork-able?"

"I did," Pam giggled.

"Do I want to know what that means...?"

"Just what it sounds like - adorable but a complete dork. Adorkable."

"Thanks."

"Anytime."

They shared another smile and Jim finally sat back down at his desk, still shaking his head.

 

It was exactly noon when Jim made his fifth visit to Pam's desk. "Ready for lunch?"

Pam glanced at her watch. "I don't usually eat this early."

"Since when? We always eat at noon."

"No, you always eat at noon," she replied. "I started eating later when you came back from Stamford."

"Oh, right," Jim said, his expression fallen. "I guess I had noticed that."

Pam just nodded, unsure of what to say next. She didn't want to make him feel guilty now because she couldn't bear to watch him eat lunch with Her then. Besides, Karen was gone now. She took a deep breath and gave him a smile. "I guess I could be talked into going back to early lunches," she mused aloud. "If I had the right dining companion."

Jim's whole demeanor came back to life. "Well, I have someone in mind that I am sure you are just going to love."

 

As they settled into their chairs at the back table, Jim presented Pam with a coke, even going so far as to open it for her.

"Wow, thanks," she enthused. "I could get used to this."

Jim opened his grape soda and took a swig. "I have something I want to discuss with you," he said, pulling a piece of paper out of his pocket.

"Oh?" Pam asked. "That sounds serious."

"It is," Jim nodded. "I just don't want any misunderstandings later."

Pam sat up straighter. She thought he was teasing her, but his tone was so serious she couldn't be one hundred per cent sure. "Okay," she said softly. Jim unfolded his paper and smoothed it out on the table.

"I've noticed since my return from Stamford that some things have changed, and I'm not really sure why," he started, staring more at the paper than at her. "So this morning I made a list of a few things that are bugging me about you, and I hope you can tell me why things have changed."

Pam looked surprised, but nodded. "I'll try," she replied.

"Good," Jim said, the slightest of smiles starting to toy at the corners of his mouth. "First of all - what's with the yogurt?"

"Huh?"

"I noticed last week you were eating Key Lime Pie yogurt. And I know I've seen flavors like Chocolate Cherry and French Vanilla at your desk. What the hell happened to Mixed Berries?"

Pam was so relieved that it wasn't a serious question that she burst out laughing. She saw Jim was working very hard to stay serious, so she tried to follow his lead. "Um," she finally replied, biting her upper lip to calm her laughter. "I guess I just wanted to try other flavors. Make sure I wasn't missing out on anything."

"And were you?"

"I think I was. They've all tasted pretty good."

"So Mixed Berries is no longer your favorite?"

She remembered the time she found out that Jim had told the camera crew that Mixed Berries was her favorite yogurt flavor. "No, I wouldn't say that," she said. "I like the variety, but if I could only have one flavor, I'd definitely stick with Mixed Berries."

Jim nodded, as if she'd given the correct answer. "And where are your Keds?" He asked.

"It's been winter. I don't wear my Keds into the office in the winter. You know that."

"Well, the weather seems warm enough now for them." He stared at her pointedly.

"Duly noted," Pam smirked back. "I'll see what I can do."

"Good," Jim replied. "Those are Dundie-winning shoes."

Pam gave a surprised gasp. "It was you!"

"What?" He asked, his face a mask of innocence.

"You made Michael give me that award."

"You can't make Michael do anything, Pam. You of all people should know that."

"Well, it was definitely your strong influence."

Jim shrugged, "It was time for a new joke."

Pam put her hand in his. "Deep down, I always knew you had been behind it."

Jim smiled at her and squeezed her hand. "It was nothing."

"It was everything, Jim, and you know that. I should have thanked you then."

"You can thank me now," Jim leered playfully at her.

"We'll see," she laughed. "Is there anything else on that list?"

Jim smoothed the paper down again with his free hand. "Oh yes, definitely."

"What next?"

"Your hair."

"My hair? What about my hair?"

"Nothing, that's the point. When did YOU decide something was wrong with it?"

"I haven't." Pam was thoroughly confused.

"Then what's with all the different hairstyles you seem to be wearing these days?"

"I wear it pretty much the same way I always have -" Pam began, then realized what he was talking about. "I just like to straighten out the frizziness sometimes, or straighten it and then put in softer curls. Don't you like it that way?"

"No - I mean, yes - it looks nice that way, it's different. But I guess I'm just used to you as you normally are. I'd be happy if you never felt the need to do anything different with it."

Pam grinned. "Well, I can assure you that I do feel the need to do different things with it, so I'm afraid you are going to have to deal with that one."

"Fair enough," he nodded. "I just wanted you to know."

"Thanks," she replied. "Kelly really opened my eyes this past year to the possibilities. So you can take that complaint to her."

"And speaking of Kelly," he said, "we come to my final topic."

"I thought you liked Kelly," Pam replied, wondering what his problem was.

"I do like Kelly. I'm not so fond of her enthusiasm for setting you up on dates."

Pam giggled. "Well, her record hasn't been very impressive, so you really don't have to worry about that. I'd be surprised if she ever picked out a guy I could actually like."

"All the same, I would really appreciate if you'd no longer suggest to her that you need a boyfriend, or that you want to go out on a date, or be hooked up with somebody, or any variation thereof."

"And your objection to this is?" Pam tilted her head and grinned up at him, so happy that they could so easily tease each other and play like this, even as their relationship was changing before their very eyes.

He squeezed her hand again. "My objection is that you are already spoken for."

"Good reason," she agreed, leaning in to meet him halfway for a kiss. "I'll be sure to tell Kelly immediately."

 



You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans